Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/20/2007, 03:18 PM
Moved On

What did I do wrong?

Hi .I have problem with xenias .I was looking to cut the expanses and changed the salt mix from Tropic Marine to Oceanic ,and at the same time I started to use the Seachem Magnesium. Few weeks later all my xenias died. Why it happened
?
And whose magnesium is the best ?
Old 05/20/2007, 04:12 PM
:::===( @ | }

Do you test before you dose? I wouldn't add anything to my tank with out knowing whats in there to begin with.

Also I make small changes, one at a time, so I can trace where problems are comming from.

water changes should take care of your mag levels, unless you have a high load.

Good Luck!
Old 05/20/2007, 05:31 PM
Moved On

Yes, I test the water chemistry and change only 15 gal of water weekly.
All other corals look ok, except the xenias.
Old 05/20/2007, 06:34 PM
RC Mod

Xenia seem to be prone to melting away like that. It might have reacted to the change in parameters. Hard to say at this point. Ocean has a number of problems, in my opinion. I use Instant Ocean.

ESV, Kent, Salifert, and Warner all make fine magnesium supplements. The SeaChem is mostly Espom salts, so I wouldn't use that one. If you have access to Mag Flake, that can be used as a magnesium supplement:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php
Old 05/20/2007, 10:12 PM
Moved On

Thank you very much for answering. You have bin very helpful!
Old 05/20/2007, 10:12 PM
Moved On

Thank you very much for answering. You have bin very helpful!
Old 05/21/2007, 12:57 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bri Guy
water changes should take care of your mag levels, unless you have a high load.

Good Luck!
Not if he is using Oceanic. That salt rings in at about 1650 ppm @ 1.0265

He only made it worse by adding a mag supplement on to of the Oceanic.

Jerry, you need to change salts. Only a select few with heavy demand tanks can use Oceanic.

What other brands of salt do you have available to you ?

And get a Magnesium test kit. I'm sure it's through the roof.
Old 05/21/2007, 02:09 AM

Point taken on the high mag levels of Oceanic. I was assuming the levels of the water change water would be better than his tank levels, either to high or to low. I guess I shouldn't assume

Is this due to the fact that they mix to 1.023, and the mag levels at that salinity would be closer to the recommened range? Is this also why RC's alk mixes to 12, the fact that we mix to 1.026?
Old 05/21/2007, 10:57 AM
Older Than the Cretaceous

I might add that Xenia need a good flow current to rid themselves of mucus and is often a reason why they melt away. Sup'ing Iodine also works but as of yet no one has a reason as to why it works. Maybe it just triggers/irritates them to pulsate more and thus helps them remove mucus

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 05/21/2007, 11:49 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bri Guy
Is this due to the fact that they mix to 1.023, and the mag levels at that salinity would be closer to the recommened range? Is this also why RC's alk mixes to 12, the fact that we mix to 1.026?
A drop in salinity of .003 would only drop mag about 190 ppm which would be 1460. Still too high.

On the Alk of RC, you will find that the alk level doesn't change much between 1.023 and 1.026

The reason RC and IO for that matter mix at 12 dkh is to help keep the alk level of the tank up when doing water changes. A 20% water change with RC in a tank with say 9 dkh may move alk 1 dkh, 2 dkh tops.

Good point on the flow, Boomer
Old 05/21/2007, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

<<< The reason RC and IO for that matter mix at 12 dkh is to help keep the alk level of the tank up when doing water changes. A 20% water change with RC in a tank with say 9 dkh may move alk 1 dkh, 2 dkh tops. >>>

That's of course assuming one wanted an alk that much above NSW levels
Old 05/21/2007, 12:08 PM

At least that Alk would be used up between WC, that Mag level in oceanic is outragous! And would never be used up to normal levels between WC.
Old 05/21/2007, 02:46 PM
Team RC Member

Howard, yes, it's all a matter of taste, so to speak.

Many reefers target 9 dkh as it is right in the middle of the recommended range and allows for a little test error.

Just because NSW is 7 dkh doesn't necessarily mean thats where everyone should keep their tanks. Our tanks are not the same as the ocean and keeping alk on the higher side of 7 has its advantages.

I have a fish only and keep my alk at 13 dkh. I just like the way my tank looks at that level. The high alk helps keep pH up and controls dino's. My fish also seem more active in this level. (but that just may be in my head

BriGuy, you are correct as magnesium depletes rather slowly.