Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/13/2007, 09:52 PM
How many is too many?

I still have your PM Eric. Face it the only reason you sent the Pm was cause i went at you in a post. As for what you do with other members thats your business. This was never for attention and im done again.
Old 05/13/2007, 10:00 PM
The Squirrel Never Sleeps

Quote:
Originally posted by eboonaman
what does GMTA mean?
Great
Minds
Think
Alike
Old 05/13/2007, 10:02 PM
The Squirrel Never Sleeps

Quote:
Originally posted by pyro383
(oh how I wish there was a spoiler button).
The service I was offering has that feature
Old 05/13/2007, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

Lonnie, this is up for discussion at the next mtg also. Chuck did address it in a previous post and we as the BOD have discussed it and are continuing to review so many options. We hope to see you there or send me your contact info.
Old 05/13/2007, 10:57 PM
Fish Geek

Re: Re: Private Forum

Quote:

I, for one, will not be attending any more LIRA meetings/functions as the club has drastically changed in a negative way for me.
I'm frustrated and saddened by the fact that this club's elected leaders made major changes without consulting it's members, and it's apparent that things are going to continue just that way.
It would have been nice if you guys had been upfront when Bill suggested talking to Les about the studio, and told us flat out that you had no intentions of doing so. Instead, Tony told him (us) to have Les contact you
You knew full well that was never going to happen. Collectively, the BOD blew off a request made by some very long term members of the club. IMO, that's not what a BOD is supposed to be about. [/B]

i hate to say it but i agree and haven't been a part of this group for sometime due to some matters that went down with the club. its to bad it used to be fun. its sad that yes you can't make everyone happy. but then again this is all over some stupid fish tanks guys.......
Old 05/14/2007, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

IMO, the group is fun now. It's fun, informative, well-run, but not perfect. Oh well. People who don't show up at the meetings wouldn't know that.
Old 05/14/2007, 11:13 AM
LIRA's Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drej424
IMO, the group is fun now. It's fun, informative, well-run, but not perfect. Oh well. People who don't show up at the meetings wouldn't know that.
and people who are new will never know what they are missing.
Glad your having fun.
Old 05/14/2007, 11:17 AM
LIRA's Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eboonaman
your rihjt in what you say.. it would be better to take this else where .. But the only people who keep "airing" very Old dirty laundry are you people.. and since you don't want to be members it would never be discussed on a "private forum"
It' s now a moot point so why does it keep coming up?
good boy ,, play along ,, be liked , kiss up.... dont think.

(you got something brown on your nose)

Last edited by diverrad; 05/14/2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05/14/2007, 11:23 AM
Moved On

Edited by me..

Last edited by eboonaman; 05/14/2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05/14/2007, 11:47 AM
Moved On

Hey, I enjoy the 2 hrs/ month attending the meetings.. I like the members and the outings.. I tried to stay out of the politics, And I don't believe your outlook on the club..

I do hate hearing about crap that happen over a year ago, Tired of the crying about Les place.. Tired of listening to a few people who don't let go and cry when thing don't go their way..

so if that's what you think... so be it. In my 50 yrs I've been called a lot worse and hit a lot harder ....
Old 05/14/2007, 12:01 PM
Registered Member.

JUST NOT GOOD

BOARD = DICTATORSHIP
Old 05/14/2007, 12:11 PM
RC Admin

Folks, have a nice dialog here and let's avoid personal attacks on people please.

Thanks.

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 05/14/2007, 12:16 PM
RC Sponsor

[

"The fact of the matter is that our meeting have been going very well and it has been a fun time for all. It has been quite some time since we left the Dance studio; membership has grown and several guest speakers have lectured at our meetings. We have had an educational and fun time talking and sharing information about our hobby.
The only negativity is from a handful of people who have posted on this forum who have not come to or have rarely attended our meetings. Collectively they do not offer either constructive help or their time. They do not come to meetings participating with the goal to make the meetings more fruitful. They have little appreciation for the time and effort that the L.I.R.A. board gives to make our club flourish.
It appears from these posts, that there is one agenda, to disrupt all of L.I.R.A. threads in attempt to see our club fail . If that is not your intention, then you should temper the tone of your posts and provide posts that are respectful of all. Not short hurtful barbs.You may not agree with every facet of our club, but you should appreciate the time and effort provided to keep us afloat.
If you can not see fit to look towards the future and move on from past disagreements, then it is time for you to move on.

You can at that point start your own club and donate your own time and be part of that clubs board to make it work. All of us here would sincerely wish you the best.

Tony
Old 05/14/2007, 12:16 PM
How many is too many?

Everyone should just follow my lead and be done. It really doesnt matter anymore. Theres more important things in life.
Old 05/14/2007, 01:14 PM
LIRA's Member

Wish it was that simple, but i do pay my dues and have the right to say what i think. At this point LIRA is nothing more than a commercial venture. With the Pres and ant VP earning their living full time from what to the rest of us is a hobby. Please do not state that you do not receive anything financially worthwhile from this. Whether it's a nice one hand washing the other ,, the attraction of new customers or perhaps even the strange grant from AMW to the club to buy equipment for AMW. It all comes down to one thing. This club serves as a tool for a few people. So my problem is not with the place , but actually just with the time i cannot make Friday meetings. Also my wanting to go back to meetings at the all dance studio was more of a nostalgia before big business got a hold of our club. And as to the few old members. lets see that would be , Bill, me, Montipora( thought he moved and chose not to deal with our Vp due to business deal gone wrong, same can be said for Calireef, then we have cb 747, onegreenray, Dgenr8, and many others to just name a few. These are not just a handful, these are original and core members, the starters of the club and if they are unhappy with the way things are going perhaps there is a reason.
Old 05/14/2007, 01:47 PM
Registered Member.

I just find the conflit of interest here rather astonishing how a BOD can own a business directly related to the NFP orginazition and not pocket $$ on his own as well as try and eliminate the competition.

just my POV

thank you
Old 05/14/2007, 01:51 PM
Moved On

I understand to an extent why this is not dying, you guys were there in the beginning of the club, you felt something was wrong ,threw in a red flag, and you felt nothing was done to address your grievance. But instead of the club falling apart it just kept moving along and actually grow.
a new board was voted on.. some people were re-elected others dropped out and new people were voted in.
and you still will not attend meetings. so what is the solution? There is no solution that you will be satisfied with unless the club dissolves. and that isn't going to happen at least I don't see it happening.

maybe it would be best to start your own club, become part of that clubs board and show everyone how to make a club work.
Old 05/14/2007, 02:06 PM
LIRA's Member

hey chuck how about adressing at least one point I made?
Also if I or the others did not care about lira we simply would not say a word. I get it you and the BoD want us to leave. But all I hear is that we are bad members for saying what we think, that we do not contribute, well I did contribute, thanks to me many members got acess to corals that that they would have never been able to get.including you. The club has grown on it's own ,, do not make the msitake of thinking is is due to the actions of the Bod ,, i would say it is more in spite of the actions of the BoD.But you win I have niothing more to say.

Last edited by diverrad; 05/14/2007 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05/14/2007, 02:11 PM
RC Sponsor

It is no secret that some board members own Aquarium related businesses, including myself. I was not a member of the first board and had no input on the original move. I also did not own this business when I became a member of the L.I.R.A. There came a time that elections were held where all here could have ran for office if they desired. I chose to run and was elected Vice President. Sure I may receive some benefit from being a club member or board member, that is I get to meet members who also are interested in the hobby. Some purchase from us and some do not. I can say that I contribute more back to the club. I contribute back by purchasing a N.E.R.A.c. booth ,donating equipment, corals and my time.
Every member is entitled to a view point and to vote for their board members who reflect their view point. Suggestions for change or even criticism are accepted, but they should be offered in a civil, non attacking tone.
For the record we have been holding meetings on Saturdays throughout the entire time that many have abstained from attending. We will have some meetings on Saturdays and even some on Sundays if it helps members attend.
If what you term as the core members have suggestions or ideas we are open for civil discussion. These core members could also run for elected positions as well.
I for one think highly of each core member you mentioned above, and I am saddened that most are not attending the meetings. They can speak for themselves and an opened minded fair discussion is welcome.
Old 05/14/2007, 02:23 PM
LIRA's Member

Well put tony, and i am done.
Old 05/14/2007, 02:36 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by diverrad
hey chuck how about adressing at least one point I made?
A well I did contribute, thanks to me many members got acess to corals that that they would have never been able to get.including you.
Konrad, I can not address any of the points you mentioned because I like you ,was not a board member at the time. I have no insider knowledge. I didn't get into the politics, and at the time, my attitude was "if it didn't effect me ..then who cares and where's the beer" I don't agree on how you see things, but never faulted you because I didn't see them that way.
Quote:
I did contribute, thanks to me many members got acess to corals that that they would have never been able to get.including you.
Yes you did, You took me under your wing and taught me tons of stuff, I never ever said anything besides that. I always mention how generous you were with your corals, and how you gave me coral frags at the first meeting I ever attended. I always spoke highly of you and must have thanked you a hundred times for all your help.

I just don't agree what has been transpiring here and had to say so.
Old 05/15/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

From the perspective of a fairly new member, (11/04), I must state that although I don’t know the whole story regarding this ongoing dispute, I feel that some of the accusations being made here are a little disconcerting. If you can voice your opinion in this forum then why not get together at the next meeting and put this to rest in a civil manner. From reading these posts it seems that the offended members still seem to care, so why not make a last attempt to resolve this amicably. I for one did attend meetings at the dance studio and at Dowling and was ignorant of this whole dilemma. I do enjoy going to the meetings, that I can attend, and feel that the club is run professionally and has been worthwhile. Quite frankly I thought that the club/BOD was doing an admirable job regarding financing, (providing speakers for the meetings from membership dues and NERAC proceeds). Of course it is every individual’s prerogative to be a club member or not however it seems contradictory to be posting threads/comments on a LIRA forum when you don’t want to be part of LIRA.
Just an opinion from one member.
Frank
Old 05/15/2007, 01:53 PM
How many is too many?

We all post here because we have made friendships independant of the club. I have friendships with several board members too. So this forum keeps some of us in touch with others. its also not private and anyone can post. If the club wants a private forum webmaster Chuck can set one up for you guys so us non members cant intrude. Chuck already covered that though and it wouldnt be used very much and would be a waste of time. With the events that have happened there really is no point to sit down in person and discuss this. Its a done deal and i dont want to get into it again speaking for myself.
Old 05/15/2007, 02:09 PM
RC Staff
American

Quote:
Originally posted by cb747
Its a done deal and i dont want to get into it again.

On that note, I think it's time to close this thread. If anyone has a compelling reason to reopen it, I'll listen, send me a PM.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....