Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/07/2007, 11:22 AM
An EEEVEEEL veterinarian?

Page 7! I drive 80 miles to and from work. How do you THINK i feel about 3 dollar gas?
Old 05/07/2007, 11:31 AM
The Incredible Mr. Limpet

I feel so lucky that my employer pays for all my gas execpt for vacations but thats only 6 weeks a year, If I had to pay $3.65/gal. I would not have a tank or much of anything.

Now I gotta go earn my keep.
Old 05/07/2007, 11:58 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

I made enough buying and selling Exxon and a couple other oil and gas stocks around the hurricane season a couple years ago that I am covered. Still holding a couple of Canadian oil and gas REIT's that pay better than 10% dividens, If you can beat em, join them
Old 05/07/2007, 12:01 PM
I yam what I yam

Took a little road trip on the bike yesterday. Gas was 3.30 for regular here, about 40 miles down the road, it was 3.65. Glad I don't live 40 miles down the road.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 05/07/2007, 12:28 PM
Grampa Extroardinaire

Our grocery store has a frequent buyer program that gives you discounts on gas purchases. Since the boy came home a few weeks ago, my food bill has almost doubled.

With the discounts, I was able to fill up my tank at $1.98/gal on Saturday!

Too old for women to care
Old 05/07/2007, 04:30 PM
sedentaryologist

I have been unemployeed since Dec 1, 2006 and im living on unemployement and any child support i can manage to pry from my ex-wife (which has been exactly $0.00 since January). I have about 3 weeks of unemployement left and then im in trouble. I just had to turn down a $14.00 an hour job because it was 40 miles away from my house. 80 miles a day at 18 MPG at $3.00+ a gallon, plus another $120 a week for daycare once I go back to work, I couldnt afford to take the job. Disgusting. As far as gas prices causing me to cut back on travel. I dotn travel, I havnt in a long time. I go see my parents 2, maybe 3 times a year and they are only 300 miles away (and they usually pay for my gas). I take my son to school and pick him up, if I need to go grocery shoping or some other type of shopping I do it on the way to drop him off or pick him up.

I mow my grass (much to the dismay of my neighbors) about once every 3-4 weeks because I simply cant afford to any more often. My reef is up for sale currently and Ill probably be cutting off the internet within a month or less. So yeah, gas prices are really hurting right now. All of my current travel is by necessity so I cant really cut back on travel anymore.

have you pooped yet? -Nina51
Old 05/07/2007, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

I make $7.45 an hour part time. I was given a car by my Dad, all I pay for is gas. It's a great deal, but it has a 22 gal tank and gets 12 miles to the gallon.

With work and college I put on at least 200 miles a week to week and a half.

I have two seperate round trip road trips from St Louis, MO to Minneapolis, MN in the next 4 weeks.

If I could find a reliable car with good gas milage on my budget I would buy it.

Plus all my other expenses. I have thought about selling off some animals, but the two worth the most aren't mine. And I'm planning on trying to make money on my Bearded Dragons. The female is half Fire and the male is pastel I think.
Old 05/07/2007, 05:44 PM

Get a 96 neon like mine sure it's a POS, but it gets 36 miles to the gallon and it's paid for.

Probably set you back less than a grand.

edit: no, i'm not kidding.
Old 05/07/2007, 05:48 PM
My Life for Aiur!

I hear ya, Coral Dilema. I was in a similar boat. I was lucky enough to move into some low-income housing and get out from under the apartment we live in. It looks like things will still be tight, but at least they are finally on the up-and-up. BTW, show us some of your chainmail. I do chainmail, too. I don't know if I'll ever finish my riveted hauberk though.

BTW, gas down here in Oklahoma is only $2.89/gallon
Old 05/07/2007, 05:52 PM
Team RC Member

I'm incredibly fortunate to work in a home office, and not to have to drive except by choice, but I swear they always boost the prices when I'm about to make a 4000 mile drive to see my mum down in Texas....

And a Prius is looking better and better as my next car choice if Subaru doesn't get on the stick soon and make a hybrid Forester. I'll be oh so sorry to give up its features, but 50mpg is hard to argue with when it hits 4.00 a gallon. Right now we're at 3.12 a gallon at the *cheap places* and the pricey ones are 3.25, so that 4.00 a gallon tag may be reality pretty soon.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 05/07/2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
I'm incredibly fortunate to work in a home office, and not to have to drive except by choice, but I swear they always boost the prices when I'm about to make a 4000 mile drive to see my mum down in Texas....

And a Prius is looking better and better as my next car choice if Subaru doesn't get on the stick soon and make a hybrid Forester. I'll be oh so sorry to give up its features, but 50mpg is hard to argue with when it hits 4.00 a gallon. Right now we're at 3.12 a gallon at the *cheap places* and the pricey ones are 3.25, so that 4.00 a gallon tag may be reality pretty soon.

As for the prius, i have a friend with 2 of them. She says they only get about 36 MPG on the highway, which is a majority of her driving. Keep that in mind before you shell out 25 grand on one.

As for the forester. I'm gonna be first in line if Subaru stops doing visual prostate self inspections and comes out with a hybrid forester. From what i've read, we're looking at 2-5 years on that.
Old 05/07/2007, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis L. Stevens
It hurts a LOT! I'm thinking about moving into either a two bedroom or even a one bedroom for a family of four.

Currently
Pay: $1700/month
Rent: $750
Elec: $150 (tops)
Water: Paid
Gas: N/A
Cable/Phone: N/A
Car: $200
Car Insurance: $165
(Bills Total: 1250)
Gas: $2.80/g; work per month 66g; $185/month
Food for Family: $200+ eating cheap (Diapers, formula, etc included)
Total: $1635 to live
Savings: $65/month. I hope no one ever gets sick until tax returns next year

If it wasn't for these outrageous gas prices, then we would be good. If it was even back down to $1/g, we would still have $184/month extra
Spend less or earn more.
Old 05/07/2007, 06:42 PM

Seriously considering a Prius also. My present car is this I think it gets at least 8-12 mpg

So long, & thanks for all the fish!
Old 05/07/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hubris007
Get a 96 neon like mine sure it's a POS, but it gets 36 miles to the gallon and it's paid for.

Probably set you back less than a grand.

edit: no, i'm not kidding.

Hubby was driving around a little geo metro for the longest time, couldn't beat the gas in that death trap ...

Christy...

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 05/07/2007, 06:57 PM

The Prius is a joke. Take a look at the mileage some of the little 4 bangers are getting. For less than 15 grand you can get something that gets better than 30 in town.

If you gotta have a SUV/Wagon type look at the Ford Escape Hybred, they pull better than 30 in town. The Toyota Highlander is close to that too.
Old 05/07/2007, 07:05 PM

...hmmm... hadn't really looked into it much yet, but i thought the prius was supposed to get something like 50 mpg on the highway ???

Old 05/07/2007, 07:10 PM

Those mileage standard are created under perfect conditions. The slightest grade or head wind will kill the highway mileage.

The Hybrids are great for intown driving and the more powerful ones do better on the highway but they wont get close to 50MPG.
Old 05/07/2007, 07:22 PM
Is it gonna rain today?

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Those mileage standard are created under perfect conditions. The slightest grade or head wind will kill the highway mileage.
True. Such is the case with all cars.

The EPA will be adjusting mpg estimates for all cars with the 2008 models. IIRC the Prius should drop to an average of around 48 mpg combined highway and city.

Quote:
The Hybrids are great for intown driving and the more powerful ones do better on the highway but they wont get close to 50MPG.
As an owner of a Prius, I can, quite confidently, tell you that a Prius is capable of getting 50 mpg, going 70 mph, on the highway. My long-term, average mpg (over the past 5600 miles) has been 50.5 mpg. I drive about 80% highway miles.
Old 05/07/2007, 07:29 PM

I've been shopping for a new car for the wife and within the last few weeks I have talked to 2 people with the prius and they aren't able to get above the 30's around here. That is what numerous reviews I've read said as well. Maybe in a low flat state like florida they would do better.
Old 05/07/2007, 07:30 PM
sedentaryologist

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis L. Stevens
I hear ya, Coral Dilema. I was in a similar boat. I was lucky enough to move into some low-income housing and get out from under the apartment we live in. It looks like things will still be tight, but at least they are finally on the up-and-up. BTW, show us some of your chainmail. I do chainmail, too. I don't know if I'll ever finish my riveted hauberk though.

BTW, gas down here in Oklahoma is only $2.89/gallon
Im not allowed to due to commercial posting violations Im in the process of setting it up as a home based business, but if you want to see some of my work, pm me. I dont have any actual armor pieces that I can show, just a few jewelry pieces. I would love to speak to you about it and get any tips/tricks though, ive only been at it for a few months now but its taking off pretty quick. Riveted .. wow, I would dread the thought of making that. but if the price was right, i would even try welding it.

I got a line on a possible HUGE job this summer. 100 or so full hauberks with full length sleeves. Would be made out of 14 gauge galvanized steel with 5/8 ID rings (yeah, i know, HUGE rings, but thats what they want). I expect 100 of them would be about 2500 pounds, so they are looking at a huge shipping cost, not to mention about 10-15 hours time to make 1 piece . . .1500 hours of labor . . im gonna make a few dollars off of this one keep your fingers crossed for me please.

Old 05/07/2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I've been shopping for a new car for the wife and within the last few weeks I have talked to 2 people with the prius and they aren't able to get above the 30's around here. That is what numerous reviews I've read said as well. Maybe in a low flat state like florida they would do better.
Is that Aurora Colorado? I live in Houston - quite low quite flat - glad we got that straightened out Now that I'm going to be divorced I'll be doing more of the things I want to do, which involves driving into the city. It was my husband who chose to move out to the burbs...don't get me wrong, it's quite nice out here, but the homogeneity gets boring to me after a while

Last edited by Angel*Fish; 05/07/2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05/07/2007, 07:56 PM
sedentaryologist

Quote:

Driving style has a lot more to do with milage than slight headwinds. if your the little old lady from pasadena, or if your leadfoot McGhee, it makes a huge difference in a hybrid. My next car will be bought on fuel economy as a number 1 priority. I love my truck, but 18MPG is killing me. The only reason I still drive it is its paid for, and what I would have to pay in a monthly vehicle payment for another car would be far more than what I would save in fuel costs, so im gonna drive my truck till the wheels fall of if it, find some jb weld and put them back on and drive it some more.

Old 05/07/2007, 08:59 PM
living life 2 the fullest

Iam proud to say i drive a 5.7 liter dodge ram and gas does not hurt me at all. You are probably thinking well you dont pay for it, well in fact i do and it still doesnt hurt me, and yes i do drive all over the place in this car. It does not hurt me because of the fact that i know people else where that are paying easily over 8 bucks a gallon for gas and it makes me feel good when i am paying at tops 3 bucks a gallon. So think yourself lucky thats all we are really paying for gas, well at least i feel lucky and thats why i continue to drive a big car that does about 10-12 mpg depending on how i drive.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 05/07/2007, 09:35 PM
Is it gonna rain today?

Quote:
Originally posted by Coral Dilema
Driving style has a lot more to do with milage than slight headwinds. if your the little old lady from pasadena, or if your leadfoot McGhee, it makes a huge difference in a hybrid.
Flat terrain, or mountainous terrain...

Headwinds, or tail winds...

Cold temperatures, or warm temperatures...

Gentle driving style, or Speed Racer...

All of these make a difference, no matter what kind of car you drive. There's nothing about a hybrid that makes it any more vulnerable to mountains, headwinds, cold, and jack-rabbit starts than an old-fashioned, gasonline-only-powered car.
Old 05/07/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

Had a to laugh here. I saw my post from last year. Gas is higher today than it was a year ago.

i was just thinking this weekend as i filled up my wife's van, if I was not a traveling salesman and the company did not pay for my gas, what would I be driving with these gas prices?

It all started with a 10 gallon Wal Mart FW combo.

Last edited by drouner; 05/07/2007 at 09:59 PM.