Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/04/2007, 02:53 PM
Coral Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by steveweast
Thanks everyone....how about the float switch itself ? I prefer not to use a conventional float switch that could foul over time or has to be drilled through the side of the sump below waterline for mounting. Hopefully, this switch will never be activated.....so, I'm looking for something that will be basically maintenance free....and will never fail.....maybe an electronic switch of some kind that can be hung down into the sump instead of a mechanic float ?
Liter meter with float switch. You measure your evap, which say hypothetically is 15 liters per day. Set your liter meter to 17 liters per day and set up your float switch in your sump. Even if the float switch fouls you'll only get 2 extra liters. I don't even use the float switch, however it can add an extra measure of safety.
Litermeter III,PCX-70 pushing 2 Eductors,Geo 624 Ca Reactor,125 sump, Dart Return
Old 05/04/2007, 03:10 PM
Mari's Husband

that explains why i couldn't find your website
Old 05/04/2007, 03:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone....how about the float switch itself ? I prefer not to use a conventional float switch that could foul over time or has to be drilled through the side of the sump below waterline for mounting. Hopefully, this switch will never be activated.....so, I'm looking for something that will be basically maintenance free....and will never fail.....maybe an electronic switch of some kind that can be hung down into the sump instead of a mechanic float ?
Hi Steve,

I have followed the whole thread so am not sure if you've considered this, but why not plumb an overflow (bulkhead and hose) high up in the skimmer cup into the sump? No need to rely on a float switch (especially one that's always submerged).

Art
Old 05/04/2007, 05:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefboy1
Hi Steve,

I have followed the whole thread so am not sure if you've considered this, but why not plumb an overflow (bulkhead and hose) high up in the skimmer cup into the sump? No need to rely on a float switch (especially one that's always submerged).

Art
It may be on the way of the Automatic self cleaning skimmer cup.
Old 05/04/2007, 07:00 PM

The whole point is that Steve goes away for extended periods and needs the skimmer cup to empty itself. Even my 6g collection bucket wouldn't be enough. I pull out about a gallon per day right now, and I would imagine that Steve's skimmer pulls even more. So that is why it was plumbed to a drain.

I am going to show him how mine is set up and maybe he can super-size it for his system by creating a 30g skimmate holding tank that once it is full, the skimmer shuts down. Then he could flip a switch to pump it to a drain. That would keep the skimmer from removing too much water at one time, and with the Aqua Controller, he could rig a high skimmate alarm to page/email him.
Old 05/04/2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Holyreefer
that explains why i couldn't find your website

My site is down due to a server change...it should be back up next week.

Steve
Old 05/04/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoom
It may be on the way of the Automatic self cleaning skimmer cup.

Definitely, yes. The skimmer cup flushes itself twice a day.....an overflow would not be practical. Everything is set up for long absences.
Old 05/04/2007, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by REEF-DADDY
Liter meter with float switch. You measure your evap, which say hypothetically is 15 liters per day. Set your liter meter to 17 liters per day and set up your float switch in your sump. Even if the float switch fouls you'll only get 2 extra liters. I don't even use the float switch, however it can add an extra measure of safety.

That's not quite the issue here...unless I'm misinterpreting your idea.

What I need is...a connection that my AC3 can read from a float switch ....like was earlier mentioned....then I need a type of float switch that activates that connection when the water gets low....which then tells the AC3 to turn off the skimmer. So, I need a float swirch that is always submerged until needed. Because of this, I don't want a float switch which I have to drill the sump to mount (since it's submerged all the time). I'd perfer a unit that could hang down into the sump.

Right now, my top off is as you described. I have a resevoir that my RO unit keeps filled...my litermeter pulls from that a set amount to add to the tank per day....right now that's about 9 gals a day.

Last edited by steveweast; 05/04/2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05/05/2007, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

What I need is...a connection that my AC3 can read from a float switch ....like was earlier mentioned....then I need a type of float switch that activates that connection when the water gets low....which then tells the AC3 to turn off the skimmer. So, I need a float swirch that is always submerged until needed. Because of this, I don't want a float switch which I have to drill the sump to mount (since it's submerged all the time). I'd perfer a unit that could hang down into the sump.

Right now, my top off is as you described. I have a resevoir that my RO unit keeps filled...my litermeter pulls from that a set amount to add to the tank per day....right now that's about 9 gals a day.
Contact Jdieck of the chemistry calculator fame. He has his skimmer cup plumbed into a 10 gallon resivior which once filled shuts a ping pong ball that shuts the skimmer air off once his resivoir is filled. I saw it a few weekends ago in person and it is a great failsafe. He has a specialty in automation and has a great failsafe for this type of system. It basically cuts off all air to the skimmer when the ping pong ball reaches the surface of a cylinder. Once you cut off the air to the skimmer that would effectively cut off the skimming possibility of the system. He runs his air intake to the skimmer to a carbon output with the intake being above the surface of the top of the resivoir level. It really is quite ingeniuos. I hope I explained it right

He is on the forums more than I am and will post the diagrams before I can find them. He and boomer are the replacements for RHF. I have a picture of the room but I don't think you can tell how it works from the pictures I took.

Hope this helps.
Old 05/05/2007, 01:02 AM

I have a system that will work. I'll show you tomorrow.
Old 05/05/2007, 06:48 AM
Registered Member

Looks like this just came out from Neptune. This may be part of what your looking for:
http://www.neptunesys.com/probes.htm#IOBREAKOUT

Quote:

Old 05/05/2007, 08:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by abark
Contact Jdieck of the chemistry calculator fame. He has his skimmer cup plumbed into a 10 gallon resivior which once filled shuts a ping pong ball that shuts the skimmer air off once his resivoir is filled. I saw it a few weekends ago in person and it is a great failsafe. He has a specialty in automation and has a great failsafe for this type of system. It basically cuts off all air to the skimmer when the ping pong ball reaches the surface of a cylinder. Once you cut off the air to the skimmer that would effectively cut off the skimming possibility of the system. He runs his air intake to the skimmer to a carbon output with the intake being above the surface of the top of the resivoir level. It really is quite ingeniuos. I hope I explained it right

He is on the forums more than I am and will post the diagrams before I can find them. He and boomer are the replacements for RHF. I have a picture of the room but I don't think you can tell how it works from the pictures I took.

Hope this helps.

This type of failsafe will not be practical for my system. My skimmer cup holds a little over 2 gallons itself....and since it fills and flushes twice a day...plus with the regular skimmate....and considering that I need the skimmer to be self sufficient for up to a month at a time.....the resevoir would have to be impractically large. A float switch system that is tied to my controller is more practical in my case.
Old 05/05/2007, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jacob30
Looks like this just came out from Neptune. This may be part of what your looking for:

That will work just great.....thanks. Now, I just need to find a reliable, electronic float switch that will activate under a low water situation that can drop into my sump and it's a done deal.
Old 05/05/2007, 08:37 AM
My tank is too full

Quote:
That will work just great.....thanks. Now, I just need to find a reliable, electronic float switch that will activate under a low water situation that can drop into my sump and it's a done deal.
Don't we all. Steve, any new pictures of any new additions?

To thine own self be true
Old 05/05/2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jacob30
These are easy to build too. I built one a year ago becuase Neptune didn't have one at the time. I think Curt got a lot of feedback that this add-on would be very usefull!
Old 05/05/2007, 10:29 AM
Premium Member

steveweast

I think you can get a 120v float switch from Lifereef.com.
It is a reversible switch made very well and you can plug all your skimmer pumps to it.
Old 05/05/2007, 11:18 AM

Why use 120V when you can use 12V and hook it into the controller?
Old 05/05/2007, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
Why use 120V when you can use 12V and hook it into the controller?
One of the best float switch ever made , they are made by lifereef . I have see them running with no problems for many many years. If you own one you will know.
Old 05/09/2007, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

Have you thought of using an ultrasonic level sensor? accurate to oh, 1mm or better. I've used 'em in applications ranging from sewage to crude oil, when failure would cost millions of dollars.
Old 06/06/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

I thought that I would do a final update on this topic for closure. I finally finished installing the float switch today. The float switch is an inexpensice float switch from Macmaster. I extended the wires from the float switch through a clear acrylic tubing and filled the tubing with a black pourable epoxy. The switch was then plugged into the interface box from Neptune which allows the float switch to talk to my controller. I have the controller programmed (when a low water level is detected) to turn off the skimmer as well as all halides and UV. So far it works great....and since that I completely drain my sump once a month during water changes, I can test the float switch monthly. Here's a pic of the finished float switch which just hangs down into the sump. Total cost was $40.

As for the tank....it will be a long and slow rebuilding process. I've been able to take advantage of the generosity of a few local reefers as well as take advantage of a former reefer's tank tear down that yielded a few larger (although brownish) colonies. After this and a few purchases....the tank looks like this today.....still under-whelming.....but a start. Thanks all for your suggestions on the float switch....it really is something that should have been in place since the beginning.

Old 06/06/2007, 06:49 PM
Catch and release

Looks like you are making a great comeback Steve
Old 06/06/2007, 06:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I have the controller programmed (when a low water level is detected) to turn off the skimmer as well as all halides and UV. So far it works great
Excellent, will it shut off the return pump(s) as well?
Old 06/06/2007, 07:08 PM

Wow, you have a lot of decent sized colonies already! Looking good Steve.
Old 06/06/2007, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tacocat
Excellent, will it shut off the return pump(s) as well?
Actually, no. The idea is ....if the skimmer is dumping water down the drain.... the controller (through the float switch) will shut off the skimmer to prevent the sump from getting too low. I need my two return pumps to continue cyclying water through the sump to keep the tank cool (chillers are on closed loop through the sump). If I lost water from a plumbing failure rather than a skimmer failure.....and the sump completely drains anyway....the controller (through the float switch) also will turn off all the halides and UV preventing an over-heating situation. The sequence return pumps are air cooled and can sit there cavitating without harm. But, if they were harmed, I keep spares on hand anyway.
Old 06/06/2007, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the update Steve! Great to hear you've found a solution and things are getting back on track