Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/26/2007, 04:32 PM
Standpipe Guy

I have two Engineer Gobies Pholidichthys leucotaenia that are now about 8 to 10 inches in size. Cool fish, rarely get a glimps of them. Have to know where to look.

Visit My Chunk of the Ocean, click the Red House above.
Old 04/27/2007, 10:48 AM
Standpipe Guy

Did my quarterly water test. Numbers are slightly low, but in line with past tests. I fiddled with the calcium reactor a little to see if I can bump the numbers up a little for next time.

These are morning numbers.

Temp: 78.8F
pH: 8.07
Conductivity: 53.9 (36 ppt)
Calcium: 390 ppm
Alkalinity: 9.6 dKH
Phosphate: undetectable.
Nitrate: undetectable.

Swapped out the three halides with new AB Aqualine 10K DE bulbs and replaced all four blue power compact bulbs in the AB Aquaspace light fixture. Even replaced the hanging kit with new cables and lock assembly (it was getting old and hard to operate).

One of the four power compacts won't fire up. Swapped bulbs, looks to be socket or wire related. Hopefully it just needs a new starter or something simple.

Old 04/27/2007, 02:42 PM
Moved back in!

Rich...where did you buy your DE bulbs at that great price?

The PC's in my AquaSpacelight failed twice so I retrofited 2 150w DE bulbs in their place. They work much better. Only bummer is that they are directly over the braces on my 180.
Old 04/27/2007, 02:53 PM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Tagareef
Rich...where did you buy your DE bulbs at that great price?

The PC's in my AquaSpacelight failed twice so I retrofited 2 150w DE bulbs in their place. They work much better. Only bummer is that they are directly over the braces on my 180.
Grr.. this board is getting ridiculously stupid in the censoring. I can't post where I got it from, it got stripped out. Sharing information is secondary around here. I'll send you a PM.

Overall I haven't had much issues with the PC's used in the unit other than crappy bulb selection. No true actinincs.

Old 04/27/2007, 03:21 PM
Moved back in!

Quote:
Originally posted by original-reefland
Grr.. this board is getting ridiculously stupid in the censoring. I can't post where I got it from, it got stripped out. Sharing information is secondary around here. I'll send you a PM.
Wow...your not kidding. It was stripped out of your PM as well. Can you try sending me an e-mail?

Thanks - Luis
Old 04/27/2007, 03:32 PM
TRC Leader

That must be one naughty vendor.
Old 04/27/2007, 04:14 PM
Guardian of Little People

If the vendor's name was censored, it was due to multiple violations of our commercial policy. It is regrettable that those actions must be taken, but if someone refuses to follow the rules, we have to take appropriate action. Rich, I believe your anger is misdirected and you should consider the circumstances before you call an action "ridiculously stupid".

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 04/27/2007, 05:10 PM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Tagareef
Wow...your not kidding. It was stripped out of your PM as well. Can you try sending me an e-mail?

Thanks - Luis
Email sent.

Old 04/27/2007, 05:12 PM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
If the vendor's name was censored, it was due to multiple violations of our commercial policy. It is regrettable that those actions must be taken, but if someone refuses to follow the rules, we have to take appropriate action. Rich, I believe your anger is misdirected and you should consider the circumstances before you call an action "ridiculously stupid".
No, I'm mad at how the software is configured. Not at individuals who made the configuration. My anger is just fine.

Old 04/27/2007, 07:42 PM
Guardian of Little People

Quote:
No, I'm mad at how the software is configured. Not at individuals who made the configuration. My anger is just fine.
You made it clear your anger was directed at "this board" for its "ridiculous censoring". I made it clear that the "censoring" was in response to violations of our rules. Instead of being upset with those who don't respect the rules, now you are mad at the software configuration.

Again, your anger is misdirected. What "anger" do you feel towards the entities who force the board to use this action?

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 04/27/2007, 07:50 PM
Moved back in!

Rich...sorry, didn't mean to start anything...

Can we get back on topic again!
Old 04/27/2007, 08:51 PM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
You made it clear your anger was directed at "this board" for its "ridiculous censoring". I made it clear that the "censoring" was in response to violations of our rules. Instead of being upset with those who don't respect the rules, now you are mad at the software configuration.

Again, your anger is misdirected. What "anger" do you feel towards the entities who force the board to use this action?
Dude, I'm over it. Lets move on.

Old 04/27/2007, 08:59 PM
Standpipe Guy

Installed the moon lights on my DIY T5 fixture today.

240-Reefer came over helped me tap the acrylic T5 hood to accept the threads of my old AB Aquaspace hanging fixture. It's up and hanging.

Programmed the AquaController to turn them on, both bulbs light up for about 1 second and shut off. Toggled it on and off a bunch of times no luck. I'm using the HD4D switch boxes which are rated for IceCap ballasts. Worked fine before I hung it up.

Old 04/28/2007, 12:48 AM
Standpipe Guy

Fiddled with one of the T5 bulbs a little and it turned on! It helped to make the upper part of the reef a little brighter.

I currently have 80w Actininc and Daylight T5 bulbs. I haven't been unable to locate URI 80w true actinic bulbs yet as the longest I've found is 48 inches. I need 60 inches for this DIY hood.

Old 04/28/2007, 09:41 PM
Standpipe Guy

Hosted our local reef club meeting today along with 240-reefer (neighbor). Excellent turnout and awesome food. Both tanks looked great. Didn't do a head count, but I'd guess around 30 to 40 people showed up.

As usual I had zero luck getting a winning ticket in the raffle.

Old 04/28/2007, 09:58 PM
TRC Leader

I'm glad you had a good turnout. I just checked to see where in New York you are located since I'm going there in May, but it looks like you're pretty far away from Rochester. Oh well.
Old 04/28/2007, 10:14 PM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I'm glad you had a good turnout. I just checked to see where in New York you are located since I'm going there in May, but it looks like you're pretty far away from Rochester. Oh well.
Yeap, I sent you a PM about it. Looks like 340ish miles away. Mapquest (am I allow to say that? ) says 5 hours drive.

Old 04/28/2007, 10:50 PM
TRC Leader

Nah, stick with Google Maps. It think that is safer.
Old 04/29/2007, 03:21 PM
Standpipe Guy

Sometime last summer at one of our reef club meetings, there was a green bubble tip anemone that went unclaimed. I'm not a fan of them since they split so often, but I took it anyway.

It climbed into the rock work, as high up as it could find between two rocks in a place nearly impossible to get a good picture of. I currently have 5 clones in a cluster, pictured here are two of them.

While the clownfish know about anemone patch, only the male spends any time in it and only during the day. Both of the clownfish spend the night together in a large favia.

Old 05/04/2007, 10:56 PM
Standpipe Guy

This is the other angelfish I recently added. A Lamarck's angel.

Old 05/04/2007, 10:58 PM
Standpipe Guy

This red turf algae has taken hold in one of my overflow chambers. It only grows in that one chamber. No place else, not even the other chamber. It has a firm sponge like feel to it.

In addition the firm brown algae is also growing in that chamber, no place else.

Any idea what they might be?

Old 05/04/2007, 11:59 PM
Flow Guru

Quote:
This red turf algae has taken hold in one of my overflow chambers. It only grows in that one chamber. No place else, not even the other chamber. It has a firm sponge like feel to it.

In addition the firm brown algae is also growing in that chamber, no place else.

Any idea what they might be?
I got stuff like that in my sump, no place else.

Easy to prune at least.
Old 05/05/2007, 12:20 AM
Standpipe Guy

Another massive snail spawning event tonight. Tank is white again. Took a bunch of pictures. We'll see how they turn out. There is such a volume of eggs and sperm in the water its hard to focus through 2 feet of it. Which reminds me I've posted about locating baby snails in my overflow chambers. I've located another two in my sump over 1/4 inch in size and one inside the skimmer about 3/8 inch. Added them to the display a few days ago.

As these events have been happening repeatedly over many months now, its funny to see how I have more tiger trochus snails now than I started with 3 years ago!! The population has replaced any that died off and now I have extras. I typically get a handful that reach the size of a pencil eraser and 2 or 3 that make it to a size I put back into the display.

No need to feed the fish and corals tonight. Everything is feasting.

Old 05/05/2007, 12:34 AM
Standpipe Guy

A quick search of my blog site, I made note of snail spawns on the following dates:

Nov 11th, 2006
Dec 20th, 2006
Apr 7th, 2007
May 4th, 2007

It happened a few times before I bothered posting about it as well. Its really easy to miss these events as they happen after I'm in bed. Just happen to be checking on the tank at 1:30am and saw it tonight. It's typically cleared up by morning. The only symptom that something has happened is that the skimmate smells worse than usual.

Old 05/05/2007, 09:47 AM
Standpipe Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by LittleBlueGT
I got stuff like that in my sump, no place else.

Easy to prune at least.

Yeah it is easy to remove and just loaded with various pods. You have a lit sump I assume? I didn't put a light on my sump yet for macro algae. The sump rocks have a dense sponge growth now which is pretty neat.