Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/27/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Problem with red leaf algea

Having alittle prob with this red leaf type of algea. Very tough to get rid of. It has a very strong rotten sweet smell to it and it covers all the rocks. But i am getting good purple coraline algea growth too. ill take pics soon but anyone know how to get rid of it? animals that get rid of it? thanks.
Old 04/27/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

I think I am starting to get the same thing. But it isn't out of control yet. I actually think it looks neat. I will probably feel different after it takes over the tank though.
Old 04/27/2007, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

a foxface will eat it all up.
Old 04/27/2007, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

Need a picture, but a foxface will eat most any algae except perhaps the filamentous green and the purple slimes ..

Heck, actually am trying to get different macro algae... do you know what type u have ? Check www.macro-algae.com
Old 04/30/2007, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

Ok i have positively ID it as red Rhodophyta. good bad? i removed a few of my life rocks today and there are massive amounts of pods hiding under this red algea.
Old 04/30/2007, 02:42 PM
Hopeless addict

I thought Rhodophyta was a generic term for red algae? I have a large mass of that growing in my display refugium. It started growing in a couple places on the foam back wall so it must release 'spores' or otherwise spread via the water column. It has not grown too quickly. I would love a better ID and more info on it.

&nbsp&nbsp o@o&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp "\_r'
&nbsp @o|,@&nbsp&nbsp _/,_&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp >( ')
_..@@_..7il=l=@lv|e.._
Old 04/30/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

I dont have that particular red, but I dont think it is something which will die quickly and release nutrients. If it over grows your coral, it might need harvesting..or add a foxface to your tank.

Since you are growing coraline algae, your water parameters must be good. If you are growing this so abundantly that you would be willing to trade some of it for chaeto, or calerpa.. I would be happy to send you either. The "good" thing with chaeto --you can put it in a nylon net, and suspend it away from coral. It doesn't put holdfasts into the rock, so it wont overtake coral.

Good luck with control.. I would think it would reduce nitrates to the point where its growth will self limit.. (but not absolutly sure, since I can only compare it to chaeto).