Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/30/2007, 08:45 AM
Registered Member

DIY Skimmer

I am building a skimmer and am wondering if there is a functional need for a large (same size as reaction chamber) collection cup if there is a drain. I can't see why it would be needed. Would anyone have any input? If there is a drain, wouldn't a 2 inch high collection cup be sufficient? Just questioning the use of massive colletion cups with drains....Thanks.
Old 04/30/2007, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

I was thinking the same thing. I made my cup pretty big and then was thinking...why? Small cup and a drain to a coke bottle would probably work better.
Old 04/30/2007, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

I dont see any need for a large cup either
Old 04/30/2007, 09:57 AM
www.kandnsales.net

the pluss with haveing a large cup and no drain is if the skimmer goes wacky it will stop filling in most instances (depends on design and other factors). so the skimmate reaches the top of the riser tube and then stuff just falls back into the skimmer body. now i have a gallon jug that my skimmer over flows into. on occasion it has over flowed the jug and onto the floor. one time with disasterous reults. so if you are going to put the skim into a seperate container, its a good idea to have it setup such that the container overflows into the sump.
Old 04/30/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

thanks everybody...it's one of those things that you look at AFTER you did it and it makes no sense. i guess we are just trained to see big colletion cups with drains. thanks again.

what about the cone portion of the skimmer? flat vs. cone. doesn't everything go up if there is an opening?
Old 04/30/2007, 02:00 PM
Team RC Member

I make the collection cup on all of my skimmers 5'' ( smaller models )and I also put a drain line on the cup with a ball valve. If the owner wants a drain they have the option. I would just go with a larger cup in case you need to change your plans on sell the skimmer.
Old 04/30/2007, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

What i did on mine was make the drain tube a little higher than the lowest part of the collection cup/reservoir. Then i filled that with water. This way, dry bubbles dont get stuck filling up the reservoir/collection cup. They hit the liquid and dissolve, then once it reaches the tube, spills out.

That in theory should fix any problem with the bubbles being forced back into the reaction chamber. I've only had mine running for a day and the results are good and following what i mentioned above. I just haven't had enough to reach the drain tube yet. My bubbles are very dry though so I would have a problem if i didn't have something to cause the bubbles to pop and collect as a liquid again. For instance, i could see them popping and the water evaporating long before being able to get drained out the tube, causing a lot of nasty buildup in the collection cup, and possibly clogging the drain tube.