Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/16/2007, 08:22 AM
Registered Member

painting tank

What is the easiest way to paint the back of a tank? What kind of paint should i use... i want it black, but am unsure what type of paint and paint brush to use? Bunker
Old 04/16/2007, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

Well I thought about painting mine as well but came up with what I feel is a better solution. I purchased for 10 bucks a piece of 5% black window tinting film from a local tint shop and tinted the back glass. I think it looks much better than paint. I've seen a few tanks at the local Aquariums with painted backs and was not impressed. My friend saw my tank with the tinted back and got his tinted as well since he felt it also looked much better than paint. That's just my opinion.

Good luck...
Outer Orbit HQI 3x150W 10,000k PowerPaq HQI Metal Halide 4x96W SunPaq Dual Actinic 8 White Lunar Lights - 70 Turbo Snails 100 Nas Snails 100 Blue Herms 50 Red Herms 10 Scarlet Herms 2 Skunk Shrimp, Over 40 SPS Coral Species
Old 04/16/2007, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

buy some fusion paint. cheap, about $5 a can, very easy, takes only hours to dry. goto home depot or something for it
Old 04/16/2007, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

is that a spray paint or does it brush on? Bunker
Old 04/16/2007, 11:38 AM
Reefneck.

Krylon Fusion is a spray paint, but I sprayed it into a roller pan, and rolled it on the back of my tank. Other than the paint I got on my floor, it worked very well. It just takes like 5 coats to completely cover.

~Becca
Old 04/16/2007, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

I used Krylon Fusion and worked very good. IMO you don't need a roller just spray it direct into the glass.
Old 04/16/2007, 11:49 AM
Master Blaster

As w/ any spray paint make sure to tape up the sides that you don't want paint on.

I really don't think Fusion is needed seeing as how it is formulated to bond to plastic and not glass. Not to say it won't stick to the glass, it just a little more expensive for no reason imo.
Old 04/16/2007, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

I will have the 125 tank directly next to a 75 gallon tank with a jack dempsey and silver dollars... do you think i should paint the one side that will face the other tank, or will the will the fish be okay with another species in a tank directly next to them? Bunker
Old 04/16/2007, 11:57 AM
Master Blaster

I wouldn't Paint the side as you may want to move one of your tanks in the future and will have to scrape all the paint off the side w/ a razor blade. Besides the fish will be fine.