Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/15/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Anemone or not?

Some girl I know has two sabea anemones, and she wants to give me one. I'm a beginner and all....but she wants to get rid of it and was gonna give it to me for free to keep for a while. Just wondering if it would hurt anything if I did get it, she just wants to see if it will do better in my tank.
Old 04/15/2007, 09:29 PM
Premium Member

just from personal experiance, your experiance says a month or so and you joined in jan, so i would suspect that your tanks is bout 4 to 5 months old, i wouldnt put on in untill your tank matures a lil more, atleast a year. IMO
Old 04/15/2007, 09:35 PM
Single Chick

I agree with fatrip, you need to have a mature tank
Old 04/15/2007, 09:39 PM
Reefer 4 Life

Your lighting is also on the low side.
Old 04/15/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

I threw caution to the wind and put a sebae in my tank at 3 months and it's been doing great.
Old 04/15/2007, 10:35 PM
Premium Member

there are also some people that live when their parachute doesnt open, that doesnt mean they dont need one

I think you should look through www.wetwebmedia.com and see what these guys say. This is a good guide to being a good aquarist IMO I think you will find that the anemone would have a better chance at survival if you had good lighting (ability to keep clams) and had a good seasoned tank, which is different for everyone. Do you have any corals now and if so how are they doing? BTW thats a cool girl for wanting to give you an anemone, most girls I know only give me heartache
Old 04/15/2007, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

It's dying in her tank, thats why she's trying to give it to me. Maybe I wasn't clear with my question though. I want to know if it will hurt my tank by putting it in. I'm not worried about hurting the anemone since it is dying in her tank already. The only coral I have in my tank is some frogspawn and some polyps, they are all doing great. One of the frogspawn was givin to me for free at my LFS because it wasnt looking so great at the FS and he wasnt sure it was gonna make it. But it now looks WAY better than the one i did pay for. And I know that keeping anemones and such is hard, but this poor girl is an idiot. She doesn't take care of anything very well at all. She has a 24 gallon tank crammed full of stuff and she has only had her tank for 4 months, I just wanna save the anemone.
Old 04/15/2007, 10:48 PM
Premium Member

Well if the anemone is already on the way out, the move might stress it to the point that it does puke. If the anemone were to die and you were unable to get it out for hours it will turn into a ball of jelly that is smells worse than a sack of hammered *#@holes. My advice is that you dont have enough light for the guy and you should pass on it. If you had a couple of halides and had done it before I would say go for it. It probably has better light in a 24 gallon nano than it would in your tank w/ 2 65 watt pcs..but that is just my opinion
Old 04/15/2007, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

I think chances are very good the anemone won't survive in your tank either. Some people get lucky, but anemones are usually very tough, and Sebaes definitely aren't the easiest of them. I agree with having a tank that's been set up for about a year (6 months as an absolute minimum), and just as important would be at least a year's worth of experience in the hobby (I'm just now figuring it out at 2 years). If I were you, I'd pass. If you do take it, feed it regularly (2-3 times a week) and keep a close eye on it.

-Mike C.