Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/09/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

I appears that the xenia in my aquarium has become united in it's attempt to overthrow peace and harmony in favor of a xenia-fascist arrangement in which few other lifeforms will be permitted to have access to the artificial sunlight without somehow serving the xenia master species. My hermit crabs cower in fear of having stalks attached to them in the wee hours between moonlights and the actinics.
I have also received intelligence revealing that they (the xenia) have formed a soft coral alliance with the star polyps being junior partners in an attempt to overthrow the zoanthids on the Eastern Front before moving in to encrust and shade out the leather coral on the Western Front.
Old 04/09/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

LOL LOL LOL

I'm dying here! I'm also suspiciously eyeing the xenia in my aquapod, a few weeks ago it had one little pulsing head, I moved it and now there are three and there is one tiny little pulsing piece peaking out of a hole at the bottom of the rockwork, I wonder what is hidden within!?!?!
Old 04/09/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Mine have grown inbetween the zoas. Didn't seem to even phase them. THey havn't met the green stars yet but from what I'v heard and am seeing in my tank these green stars are growing pretty fast too. They are really pretty though.

me thinks i a gonna flame thrower these guys. hahahahahah fire fire....
Old 04/09/2007, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

This thread is worthless without pics!

My xenia colony:

A close up:

I have TOO much xenias!!!

Old 04/10/2007, 12:19 AM
Premium Member

Thats funny. I used to be the Xenia spokesmodel in my area. It grew like crazy in my first few tanks so I sold it till no one needed any, then gave it away, but about a year ago it gradually stopped growing, and has slowly disappeared. I'm not sure what changed, but I'm sad to see it go. It's one of the coolest corals. The rest of my tank- SPS and LPS are doing great.

Maybe mine Beemed up to you. Tell them to live long and prosper.
Old 04/10/2007, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

I love my Xenia! Oh ya and It pays me every month. Its like the xenia pays rent...

Old 04/10/2007, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

Xenia King did you glue them to the back glass or did they attach by itself ?

Here is mine

my last trip to the LFS i got 75$ in store credit thanks to the Xenias!
Old 04/10/2007, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

Well I got a few pieces of Xenia from amazingBobby and the Aliens must have tailed me home cause I now have at least doublewhat i started with and they are staging an assault on some more rocks as I type this no doubt. So far I still think they are great but only time will tell if they can change my mind.
Old 04/10/2007, 01:50 PM
In over my head!

I had some xenia that grew and multiplied when the tank was young. I cut stalks, sold some, gave some away. Fast forward a year and change, and I've just about skimmed it out of existence.

Same zip code, btw.
Old 04/10/2007, 02:41 PM
2b1ask1

I got one stalk in my nano (15) that never pulsed and barely grew (if at all.)

In my new 30, I got a teensy frag that's already started to sprout new polyps. I'd personally like to see it go nuts-- maybe I could cash in on it as well. It's a fun coral though.

Great pics, and and great jokes. The zip code one made me chuckle quite a bit.
Old 04/10/2007, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

Xenia King did you glue them to the back glass or did they attach by itself ?

I just placed a rock with the xenia on it next to the back glass and it will grow on it and move up to get closer to the light.
Old 04/10/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

xenia

Yes, I see that marcwake has now experienced the power of the intergalactic xenia matation strain. I'm glad the aliens put a trailer on you; you never can tell with those sly little skulkers.
Anybody else within driving distance may claim a kinship with me, receive some of the strain, and begin a kinship with said aliens.

A bulletin on the Eastern Front: After an feint to the left flank, the Xenia/Star Polyp Axis has unleashed its's blitzkrieg upon neutral Central Zoanthus. Early reports tell of star polyps actually growing in between the zoanthids, and in some cases, actually growing on and over some less fortunate members of the colony. The xenia has provide air superiority, effectively shifting over to begin around the clock shading. Since Central Zoanthus consists mostly of brownish purple zoanthids, no one has come rushing to the aid of this besieged colony. One could only surmise that if the assault had begun against Northern Zoanthus, home of the Orange and vibrant Green/Purple zoanthids, the response might well have been swift, a "mother of all battles", with nematocysts and neurotoxins flowing as beer from a tap, and sweeper tentacles grasping in their fatal embrace.
Old 04/10/2007, 09:15 PM
Actiniaria Addict

North Carolina Intelligence (no, that's not an oxymoron, thankyouverymuch) reporting in, sir! We have reason to believe another race has joined the Xenia-GSP Alliance on this side of the country. These new invaders are distant relatives of the Xenia, possibly originating in the same galaxy. They are calling themselves Anthelia. Security cameras have yielded the following evidence:

GSP and Xenia advancing on a tank (button polyps are on the suspicious characters list as well):

Xenia and Anthelia "stalking" an unsuspecting innocent little Bam Bam Zoanthid frag:

When Anthelia Attack! Poor clownfish running for her life from a tsunami of Anthelia:

NCI signing off!

-Sonja
Old 04/10/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

This was my old 55G xenia anyone? it all started with $20 stalk that turned into about $900 a year. Now my market it's floded gets flushed and when I can I give it away.
Old 04/11/2007, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

Eastern Front

A somewhat blurry action shot from the Eastern Front. Notice the Star polyp invasion and shading air superiority by the xenia.
Old 04/11/2007, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

One of my Maroon Clowns thinks it's her home. Around here the LFS doesn't buy or give store credit, so after I gave as much as I could away I have been tossing it in the trash. It is growing on and inside my overflow. Saw some small pieces growing in my sump, with no light??

Eric

125 with 55 sump in the works.
Old 04/11/2007, 10:17 AM
Actiniaria Addict

Re: Eastern Front

Quote:
Originally posted by amazingbobby
A somewhat blurry action shot from the Eastern Front. Notice the Star polyp invasion and shading air superiority by the xenia.
I believe you have an Anthelia sneak attack on the north quarter there as well!

-Sonja