Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/14/2007, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

overflow noise problem

My drop from teh overflow top to the water fill up line is like 17 inches and its noisy as thunder
how b out i just stuff the airspace with floss, will that work? and just unpack it and clean it once a month?
Old 03/14/2007, 12:07 PM
Premium Member

Adding a durso pipe stand pipe mod to my overflow solved the issue for me. Your tank is much bigger, but it might work.

If you do a search on RC for "durso mod" you will find tons of information. Here is one link that has a good diagram:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...durso+overflow

Hope this helps
Old 03/14/2007, 12:14 PM
Premium Member

nope wont work

my return line is blocking the top of the drain pipe, wouldnt have room, he put a bend in it and it empties out in the middle of the overflow box out into the main tank, dumb design, i would like to just cut it out and remove it and start from scratch but you cant get to it with a 19" tall pipes.
Old 03/14/2007, 12:23 PM
Premium Member

nope wont work

my return line is blocking the top of the drain pipe, wouldnt have room, he put a bend in it and it empties out in the middle of the overflow box out into the main tank, dumb design, i would like to just cut it out and remove it and start from scratch but you cant get to it with a 19" tall pipes.
Old 03/15/2007, 06:01 AM
Registered Member

You could go with a stockman instead of a durso. I am not sure that they are as quiet as a durso.

http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/stand...n_stockman.htm
Old 03/15/2007, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

I'm running a stockman as it's the only configuration that would fit in my overflow. Easy to make, tailor and adjust. I highly recommend it!!
Old 03/17/2007, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

well my overflows are internal corner boxes, they are narrow and very high, like 29". space is a problem, i would like to remove the existing return pvcs but i cannot reach the bottom or have room to cut with a reciprocating saw, any one got ideas?
Old 04/07/2007, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

got any pictures?