Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/28/2007, 10:54 PM
Reefer 4 Life

Imac Vegas 2007

last chance to save some money price for early birds goes up this weekend. Who wants to go hang out in Vegas and talk reefs for 3 days.

http://www.theimac.org/IMAC%20Las%20Vegas.htm

Come on So Cal who is going to go hang.
Old 03/29/2007, 12:39 AM
Premium Member

Is it me or is the the show looking like it's going to be a flop. Very few vendors have signed up. I guess they should have considered not setting a date so close to So Cal's own Reef-A-Palooza! Go SCMAS!!!!!

SPS = Stability Promotes Success

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!
Old 03/29/2007, 12:49 AM
Reef Awe gazer

You said it Greg...Go Palooza Go

Daniel
Old 03/29/2007, 11:33 AM
Rubberman

Just not the same type of show. If they wanted more attendance from SoCal they should of held it in SoCal. I know Vegas is a big place now but it's still out in the middle of nowhere. I'd really like to go but by the time you factor in gas, food and lodging it puts it over the top. Add to that my wife has no interest in this stuff it just won't fly.

SteveU
Old 03/29/2007, 12:50 PM
Reefer 4 Life

Come on Food and Hotel is dirt cheap it's vegas. If we don't support an imac for us here in the west we won't see another one anytime soon. Do you know how much more it would cost if it were in LA come on.
Old 03/29/2007, 01:15 PM
Rubberman

In LA it would cost me gas and the registration fee and I'd be home every night.

BTW, it's not the money, it's the time. It would mean being there the entire weekend for a fish meeting.

I know where and when to draw the line to keep my hobby funds flowing.

SteveU
Old 03/29/2007, 01:21 PM
Premium Member

Some of us do know how much the cost is to put on an event in So Cal. The problem is that they are offering less than we already have available to us without the 4.5 hour drive. Sure R-A-P will have less speakers, but it is only a 7 hour event. SCMAS already have has 5-6x the vendors booked for their event. Also the Vendors are much bigger names to RC members. Sunlight Supply, Current USA, Euroreef, Reef Nutrition, PFO, Jeff's Exotic Fish, FragFarmer, AquaC, Warner Marine, ReeferMadness, Bermuda Aquatics, ect... DeltecUSA will soon be making a decision, and if they come, you can bet Fins Reef and Captive Oceans will follow. IMAC will no longer be the #2 show in the US Reefing sceen. IMAC and MACNA have made big mistakes overlooking SoCal which is the biggest reefing comunity in the US.

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!
Old 03/29/2007, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Odd how this hasn't even been announced in the 2 Vegas forums.
Old 03/29/2007, 01:53 PM
Reefer 4 Life

Quote:
Originally posted by gcarroll
Some of us do know how much the cost is to put on an event in So Cal. The problem is that they are offering less than we already have available to us without the 4.5 hour drive. Sure R-A-P will have less speakers, but it is only a 7 hour event. SCMAS already have has 5-6x the vendors booked for their event. Also the Vendors are much bigger names to RC members. Sunlight Supply, Current USA, Euroreef, Reef Nutrition, PFO, Jeff's Exotic Fish, FragFarmer, AquaC, Warner Marine, ReeferMadness, Bermuda Aquatics, ect... DeltecUSA will soon be making a decision, and if they come, you can bet Fins Reef and Captive Oceans will follow. IMAC will no longer be the #2 show in the US Reefing sceen. IMAC and MACNA have made big mistakes overlooking SoCal which is the biggest reefing comunity in the US.
I understand your points and what IMAC did was give us a chance to go to an IMAC out west. If it does flop I would bet you water to wine we won't see another IMAC out west.
Old 03/29/2007, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

Because of our lifestye in So Cal, Vegas is not considered out west. To most SoCal folks Bakersfield is in Northern California and the Inland Empire (Riverside County & San Bernardino County) is a whole different planet.

Old 03/29/2007, 02:35 PM
Reefer 4 Life

Ok Greg that's fine. I will be at both events when is the LA event is that the one in May?
Old 03/29/2007, 02:51 PM
Professional Aquarist

Quote:
IMAC and MACNA have made big mistakes overlooking SoCal which is the biggest reefing comunity in the US.
All you fellas have to do to get MACNA out there is bid on it and win. I know several years there was only one bid to consider. It is quite easy if you have a small group of people who are willing to do the work involved.

19th Annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)
in Pittsburgh, PA September 14-16, 2007
Old 03/29/2007, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

Sorry Steven, I mispoke, Only IMAC in independently operated. We could have bid on MACNA but decided to go a different route.

Old 03/29/2007, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

I am going and I am going to have a ball. The Vegas party and reef talk is my idea of great fun.
Old 03/29/2007, 06:09 PM
Reefer 4 Life

Quote:
Originally posted by manofcoral
I am going and I am going to have a ball. The Vegas party and reef talk is my idea of great fun.
Paul I will buy you a drink.
Old 03/29/2007, 07:26 PM
Premium Member

I'm going to both, and the NW-CFM Busy August for me (Vegas, LA, Portland).

Any vendor missing any of the shows is missing out All are a great show to attend and all are completely different in style and substance
Old 03/29/2007, 10:08 PM

California is my favorite planet.
Old 03/29/2007, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Because of our lifestye in So Cal, Vegas is not considered out west. To most SoCal folks Bakersfield is in Northern California and the Inland Empire (Riverside County & San Bernardino County) is a whole different planet.
Yup, i agree with Greg statement " RIVERSIDE COUNTY & SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY" is a WHOLE different planet call the "BOONNIE"

I thought yall use the generator for electricity J/K
Old 03/31/2007, 02:56 PM
Reefer 4 Life

Bump last day to save some cash.
Old 03/31/2007, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

I might go if I can swing it. My August schedule is a little fuzzy right now.
Old 04/01/2007, 01:46 AM
Premium Member

Sure hope socal represents so I can get some of those sick corals driven out here instead of always making the drive to you guys.
Old 04/01/2007, 05:30 AM
Just an Average Joe

Quote:
Originally posted by Steven Pro
All you fellas have to do to get MACNA out there is bid on it and win. I know several years there was only one bid to consider. It is quite easy if you have a small group of people who are willing to do the work involved.

Hmmm, I can think of one such person

...'cept I think he has slightly different plans

http://www.reefapalooza.org/reservations.html

Last edited by ReefMeister2; 04/01/2007 at 05:43 AM.