Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/26/2007, 01:15 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Swap 2 of the aquablues for UVL Super Actinics.
Old 03/26/2007, 01:22 AM
Premium Member

thanks for your quick reply. reading this thread has been priceless. thank you Grim

-big A-
Old 03/26/2007, 07:35 AM
Premium Member

Which ballast is the Limited Edition Tek using? Does the lack of active cooling hurt the PAR? It uses the Tek II reflectors, right?

I'm looking at this or the Tek retro w/ upgraded reflectors.
Old 03/26/2007, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Saddler
Which ballast is the Limited Edition Tek using? Does the lack of active cooling hurt the PAR? It uses the Tek II reflectors, right?

I'm looking at this or the Tek retro w/ upgraded reflectors.
The LE Teklight is exactly the same as the regular Teklight with 2 exceptions: Slightly more shiny MiroSilver reflector that apparently stains easier/worse than the standard Tek and blue paint that looks surprisingly like Ice Cap Blue.

Blue paint is not surprising given that SS released the LE at exactly the same time as Ice Cap released its blue painted Par-monster Solar Flare. This was at the same time that SS was going after IC with a vengeance by threatening legal action and demonstrating its lack of class by having its excuse of a rep post attacks on IC in the IC forum.

In any case all Teklights are poorly designed since they have no active cooling and as a result put out 1/2 or less the Par of the units from quality manufacturers like Aquatinics/IceCap, ATI. Fauna Marin, companies that actually do proper R&D. Amazing that the #1 manufacturer of T-5 fixtures in the US if not the world (SS) did not do its homework. Maybe they didn't care since they were making lots of money from reefers that lacked a quality alternative anyway.

When people realized how poor the retro Tek reflectors are they started to turn to IC SLRs in droves which precipitated (along with the SF) the SS attacks on IC.

The Tek 2 is basically a slightly wider rip-off of the IC SLR reflector, it even used the same material that IC has always used as it resists staining.

Teklights have Triad electronic ballasts and do not have Tek 2 reflectors, nor can they be retrofitted because they would never fit.

About the only thing Teklights have going for them is they a relatively cheap and look sleek.

Last but not least, SS is notorious for poor customer service and warranty support. I highly reccomend the above listed manufactures for fixtures and IC for retros. With IC, if something goes wrong down the road they will deal with it promptly and professionally, SS are just as likely to reject you claim out of hand as deal with it IME.

I for one choose to support the many quality reefing companies out their that do the right thing.

There is you info as well as my rant!

James
Old 03/26/2007, 11:13 AM
Premium Member

This thread has been moving so fast that it's hard to keep up. Grim, I know that you occasionally change your reccomendations, so what is your most current for the 6 bulb layout w/o overdriving? Thanks.

(Yeah, I know, DIL.)
Old 03/26/2007, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

Well, I really would love to go with the IC retro for the better CS and endcaps, but I don't have a need for overdriving and all icecaps overdrive, correct? So that would mean 12 month bulb changes and 480w vs. 324.
Old 03/26/2007, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Purchased a 6 bulb, 36" retro for my 65g AGA canopy. Received the product and came to find out all six will not fit; nor will five.

So, out of these bulbs, what would be recommended for running 4 of these bulbs over my 65g?

(2) ATI Blue Plus
(1) Super Actinic
(1) ATI Aquablue
(1) GE 3000K Daylight
(1) UVL AquaSun
Old 03/26/2007, 12:05 PM
Living by His Grace alone

Dag Grim

you make wme want to sell my Tek 6x54 and get a Solor Flare, now if you will let me borrow 500 mo bucks, I should be ok, lol. No for realy Grim, the fact that it doesn't have a fan does bother me a little, but is it really a significant dfference, not having fans?

rev
comes wisdom through the awful grace of God" Robert F. Kennedy
Old 03/26/2007, 12:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by revclyburn
Dag Grim

you make wme want to sell my Tek 6x54 and get a Solor Flare, now if you will let me borrow 500 mo bucks, I should be ok, lol. No for realy Grim, the fact that it doesn't have a fan does bother me a little, but is it really a significant dfference, not having fans?

rev
1/2 the Par
Old 03/26/2007, 12:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Well, I really would love to go with the IC retro for the better CS and endcaps, but I don't have a need for overdriving and all icecaps overdrive, correct? So that would mean 12 month bulb changes and 480w vs. 324.
No you don't have to overdrive. ReefGeek should sell you a retro that has IC reflectors and triad ballasts plus endcaps etc. Call em.

James
Old 03/26/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

Does anyone have pictures or recomendation on the fans setup for cooling the canopy for the T5 retro? I have read you are suppose to blow air onto the endcaps and not on the bulbs directly, but am looking for an easy way to do that.

Grim, I gather that the air is suppose to blow perpendicular to the lamp direction on the end caps, is that correct?
Old 03/26/2007, 01:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jamesdawson
No you don't have to overdrive. ReefGeek should sell you a retro that has IC reflectors and triad ballasts plus endcaps etc. Call em.

James
I'll check with them to see where that would fall inbetween the $450 and $600 prices for the 2 setups. How much better are the IC endcaps than the Teks?
Old 03/26/2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
This thread has been moving so fast that it's hard to keep up. Grim, I know that you occasionally change your reccomendations, so what is your most current for the 6 bulb layout w/o overdriving? Thanks.

(Yeah, I know, DIL.)
It really depends what look you want. Typically Either a GE3000K or a UVL Aquasun for one lamp, a 6500K GE, 1 UVL Super Actinic and then Blue Pluses or a combination of blue plus and Aquablues depending on what color you want.
Old 03/26/2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JOSEPHLB
Purchased a 6 bulb, 36" retro for my 65g AGA canopy. Received the product and came to find out all six will not fit; nor will five.

So, out of these bulbs, what would be recommended for running 4 of these bulbs over my 65g?

(2) ATI Blue Plus
(1) Super Actinic
(1) ATI Aquablue
(1) GE 3000K Daylight
(1) UVL AquaSun
Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
Aquasun
Aquablue or Blue Plus
Old 03/26/2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by revclyburn
Dag Grim

rev
Throw a clip on fan on the back of the tank blowing across the Tek fixture, that will pop the PAR up quite a bit.
Old 03/26/2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tdawgnjlo
Does anyone have pictures or recomendation on the fans setup for cooling the canopy for the T5 retro? I have read you are suppose to blow air onto the endcaps and not on the bulbs directly, but am looking for an easy way to do that.

Grim, I gather that the air is suppose to blow perpendicular to the lamp direction on the end caps, is that correct?
Blowing the air near the endcaps is the safest way to make sure you aren't over cooling the lamps. If you could mount a couple fans in the top of the canopy blowing out that would be the best way to do it. It is just really hard to do that.
Old 03/26/2007, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
I would run a couple of PFO mini pendants with nice 250 watt 10KDE lamps. I would use electronic ballasts, probably Ice Caps. For the T5's I would order 2 tek 2 lamp readyfit retros.

I would set them up like this

Front
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Halide halide
Aquablue
Blue Plus

With that system you could get away with running the halides only 4 hours a day. You could use the front bank of T5s for dusk/dawn, then add the rear bank for early/late daylight and run the halides for midday.
Thx Grim.....but wow!..I'm still worried about heat. I found a deal I want to jump on but can't pull the trigger for fear of heat. Plus its about double the wattage as 6x54's. .........I'm really indecisive...can u tell?
-cleaner shrimp

Opinions are like nipples on a man.....
Old 03/26/2007, 02:04 PM

If you can hold out get the ATI power module. Check with the Geek for a release date.
Old 03/26/2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
If you can hold out get the ATI power module. Check with the Geek for a release date.
do you think it will fit in a canopy?.....i'm sure i could just make it fit anyway since I've yet to build it
-cleaner shrimp

Opinions are like nipples on a man.....
Old 03/26/2007, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
Aquasun
Aquablue or Blue Plus

Grim, thanks a bunch.
Old 03/26/2007, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
It really depends what look you want. Typically Either a GE3000K or a UVL Aquasun for one lamp, a 6500K GE, 1 UVL Super Actinic and then Blue Pluses or a combination of blue plus and Aquablues depending on what color you want.
Approximately what kelvin rating look would I get with the following?:

SA
AB
Aquasun
B+
B+

I'm looking for something with the full spectrum of colors including reds and flourescent popping greens. I would like the overall look to be a crisp white leaning toward blue - probably like a 14k look I think.
Old 03/26/2007, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Would a 6 bulb retro with 4 being overdriven by IceCap ballasts, all with IceCap reflectors work for a 100gal? I want clams and a few sps.
Old 03/26/2007, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

Hey again...

A while back I asked how many bulbs would be good for a tank measuring 24" x 8" x 8". My main stock would be some Montipora, Tridacna maxima, and possibly some Acropora, and Ricordea. For SPS/clams I was told that two would be okay, but three would be best. I finally have this project back on track, and have decided to build a 6" tall canopy as well.

For the lights, I will use three 24w T5HO, and one 14w T5NO Coralife Actinic 420nm (for dawn/dusk, and some fluorescence.) The three 24w's will be on a Workhorse 5, and the 14w will be on a separate electronic ballast.

for the bulb order, I was thinking

Front
Coralife actinic, 420nm
GE daylight 6500k
Actinic plus, 460nm
ATI blue plus

I'm thinking of having a fan on either end blowing cool air down onto the ends of the bulbs, and/or a pair (or single large) in the center blowing hot out. I think having a pair of fans blowing out would be best, with a vent near the endcaps (with a baffle to direct the air as I see fit.

For a tank as shallow as this, Would the sunlight supply reflectors be okay? I've only got 8.25" x 24.5" of top frame to work with, and the canopy itself will probably leave me with about 7.75" x 24". The Icecap 'flectors wouldn't give me any room for the 14w due to their size. Also, are these the sunlight supply reflectors?
These reflectors here at hello lights are the ones I'm thinking of using.

Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly!

Last edited by lingwendil; 03/26/2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03/26/2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by casingbill
do you think it will fit in a canopy?.....i'm sure i could just make it fit anyway since I've yet to build it
If you are running a canopy I would just do a retrofit or the Fauna Marin fixtures that Aquarium obsessed sells.
Old 03/26/2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Approximately what kelvin rating look would I get with the following?:

SA
AB
Aquasun
B+
B+

I'm looking for something with the full spectrum of colors including reds and flourescent popping greens. I would like the overall look to be a crisp white leaning toward blue - probably like a 14k look I think.
Your mix should be about right but play with the placement.

Front
Blue Plus or Aquablue
SA
Aquasun
Aquablue or Blue Plus
Blue Plus