Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/20/2007, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

Big Spot on BHT

I've been fighting some sickness with my BHT since about a month after I got it. The guy didn't mention anything about kh when I got it and I think it was at like 9. So I fixed that and he got signifigantly better, but I've been kinda bouncin between better and worse, but never genuinely "healthy". This is pretty obvious from the pics. But I just saw this huge spot that is clear, but kind of reddish(There isn't blue there anymore). I assume it is maybe a scrape of a layer of skin, and the red is blood that you can see through it. Idk, it seems like a strange place to get it tho. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

Old 03/23/2007, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

anybody help? its not ich I know this much. He gets little white spots, but they don't really look like ich. Or if it is its a very mild case, but I think hes got some other kind of sickness that the other fish don't seem to catch.
Old 03/23/2007, 02:18 PM
2/08 HB first show

The sore, how long has it been there? Looking like that..

Is it acutal open flesh or are the scales missing? It is right below the fin or like coming from the fin?

are you treating him with anything?

are his fins at the top a litte ragged or is it the pic?

What are you feeding him?

A person can solve a lot of problems by FIRST using a QT tank.. QT all new fish.
Old 03/26/2007, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

The sore has been there now about a week now. It is under the fin. One of his top fins is missing, there was a white thing sticking out(I assume his fin bone/cartlige or whatever). The fins are in good shape though otherwise, I think its just the picture. I was just feeding formula 2 flake, but now I'm feeding the formula 2 frozen food mixed with focus, metronidazole, a little garlic, and a little formula 2 flake. Those 2 meds helped clear the white spots I spoke of earlier and got him looking overall more healthy, but that spot got me concerned. I appreciate any help you can offer.
Old 03/26/2007, 04:25 PM
2/08 HB first show

I would start her on some antibotic-one like Maracyn-2 (make sure its 2) for starters.
An open wound can get infected and if the tissue is degrading then there of course is something wrong.

Of the metro is not helping the spot you can try the above anitbotic, a differnt one and maybe have some luck with that.

A person can solve a lot of problems by FIRST using a QT tank.. QT all new fish.
Old 03/26/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

I would also suggest a good antibiotic in quarantine. Furanase or Nitrofurazone are other good choices. You might add some StressCoat to the water to serve as a temporary mucus layer.

Terry B

A large water change can cover a multitude of sins against your aquarium.
Old 03/27/2007, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

I'm not going to put her in a qt. So try mixing my food with the maracyn-2 AND focus? or just the 1? Any other ideas to use while shes in the display? Thanks!

BTW terry in your sig are you implying that the large water change can help or hurt your tank?
Old 03/27/2007, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sleevasteve
I'm not going to put her in a qt. So try mixing my food with the maracyn-2 AND focus? or just the 1? Any other ideas to use while shes in the display? Thanks!

BTW terry in your sig are you implying that the large water change can help or hurt your tank?
pretty sure he means help.

All of the universe and I am the only one
All of creation, and there's only this one of me.
All of everything, and what I am now will never come again.
Old 03/28/2007, 01:53 AM
Registered Member

I believe focus contains some nitrofurazone. Adding Maracyn-Two should be OK. Kanamycin would be another option. You have to be careful when feeding fish antibiotics because it is difficult to get the right dose for their weight. Don't try it when other fish are in the tank, because the healthy fish tend to get more than their share and can get an overdose.

I believe large water changes can overcome mistakes we make. The trick is using saltwater that is the same temperature and salinity. Aerate and mix the water for at least 24 hours before using it to prevent stress.

Terry B

A large water change can cover a multitude of sins against your aquarium.