Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/13/2007, 09:48 AM
Moved On

Curious Wormfish Owners Thread

I have had a pair of curious wormfish (Gunnelichthys curiosus) for a few months now. They both jumped ship during the QT but I put them back in the water and they have been fine ever since. So first lesson, cover those tanks!!

These guys love to hide in the sand, and usually do it when newly acclimated but mostly when they are frightened. If you plan on purchasing this species remember that there is a very good chance you wont see them a lot because they will be hiding in the sand. Have you owners noticed them swimming in the water column more often after they have been in the tank for a while?

I have a pair of them but I plan on adding several more to the tank. I should have added them all at once but I wanted to make sure I was able to provide them with a suitable environment. Remember they are shy and do not like aggressive tank mates (piscovers could swallow them up like spaghetti).

Mine eat almost anything I put in the tank. Minced squid, scallops, shrimp, cyclopeeze, mysis, formula 2. They do have small mouths so its important you mince the food into bite-size pieces.

If anyone is interested in acquiring these guys let me know if I can be of any assistance. Or if you have them already chime in!
Old 03/13/2007, 03:25 PM
Premium Member

Funny you posted this! they were on the list from the wholesalers this week after ordering them for over a year direct from bali with no luck! So hopefully they will be here tomorrow...would love to know how big your are. I was considering them for a 24g nanocube I just set up for sea horses. Was thinking that might be a good tanke mate.
Old 03/13/2007, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

My wormfish was always swimming in the water column. It would even swim through my fingers when I put my hand in the tank. However, this does not sound like typical behavior, based on reading other owners' experience with them. Mine would also bury in the sand, but only at night to sleep. It unfortunately died shortly after I accidentally squished it with my mag cleaner
Old 03/13/2007, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Glad to see this thread!
The two I got were barely 2" long and thin as a pencil lead. They were put in a 20 gal with Trimma and Eviota gobies 3/4" long, but were terrorized anyway and vanished in a few days.
I want to try them again but thought I would have to set up a seperate tank for them.

Were mine unusually small?
Do you have them with other fish?

The only place I have ever found them is Live Aquaria which only has them occasionally. http://www.LiveAquaria.com/product/p...3283&subref=AA

Any other sources??
Old 03/18/2007, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

BUMP

Anyone else keep these?

Before buying them again I'de love to know if small ones can be kept with other fish, or if they need a seperate tank.
Old 03/18/2007, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

In had four of a sibling species - but did not manage to keep them long. No clue what happened only found one dry - jumping could have been a possibility.

Enjoy the pic's:

Peter
Old 03/18/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Astonishingly clear pictures!!!!
Old 03/21/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Mine died after a week with no apparent reason was feeding and all well... Decided to come out of its burrow and died a few hours after...
Old 03/21/2007, 11:29 AM
Guardian of Little People

Peter, those are stunning pictures.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant