Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/11/2007, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Life span of morays

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a "typical" life span for a moray in captivity. Or how old your eels are, so as to give a rough estimate.

I can start by saying I have a snowflake moray that is almost 8 years in my captivity.
--Karen
Old 03/12/2007, 06:28 AM
Registered Member

bump
Old 03/12/2007, 06:41 AM
Registered Member

I bought a snowflake in 1995 or 1996. It was about 8" long then. I sold it a few years later to a friend. I think he still has it.
Old 03/12/2007, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

Moray's can live a long time. One person i know had zebra moray for 12 years and counting
Old 03/12/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

My snowflake is older than me and I'm 15. My mom was pregnant with me when my dad bought the eel.
Old 03/12/2007, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

about 40 years
Old 03/13/2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

IMAGINEER, is that for any particular species of moray? Can you tell me where that number came from? Personal experience, research, etc..??
Old 03/14/2007, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

Dragon Moray are said to have a life span of 25 - 30 years.

My boyfriend's is 13 years old...DNA tested.
Old 03/14/2007, 10:52 AM
Art and science

how did you go about to get your eels DNA tested?
Old 03/14/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

are eels inverts?
Old 03/14/2007, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

Cool thread! I always wondered what the lifespan of morays were in captivity as well. I had my snowflake for 4 years so far and he is doing awesome. My dragon I only had 8 months so far, but he is cool as hell. Here is a pic of him:

Old 03/14/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wild fin
are eels inverts?
No, teleost (bony) fish.
Old 03/14/2007, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

okay this is where i get confused with eels. What are true eels? Are morays eels or eel like fish? sorry for the thread jack but i think the question was answered right?

btw sweet dragon. Ive always wanted one.
Old 03/14/2007, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

Morays are true eels...
Old 03/14/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

so i have now had a honeycomb mory for about 8 years and he is like 4 feet but i hav e read that the bigger moryas can live to be 50 to 60 in the wild not sure captive snowflake i believe have an avg lifespan of 25 years someone correct me if im wrong but i'm pretty sure thats what i remember from workin t the lfs hope that helps you
ryan
Old 03/15/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Absint Reefer
how did you go about to get your eels DNA tested?
He used to work at Shedd, in Chicago and had blood work done, on his Dragon, to get a positive sex. The only way to tell the difference is DNA testing, as both male and female have the same coloration.
Old 03/15/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

Actually, male and female dragons are very different in coloration and easily told apart by coloration. Females are always much lighter(whiter) and "duller" with less red than males.
Old 03/15/2007, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete
Actually, male and female dragons are very different in coloration and easily told apart by coloration. Females are always much lighter(whiter) and "duller" with less red than males.
Sounds like you know quite a bit more than biologists/researchers at many public aquariums, world wide, because it's them who say you can't tell them apart.

Coloration plays no role, what-so-ever, in their sex.

EDIT: Just to throw a little bit more out there, this is a letter and responce to/from Bob Fenner...a very highly respected person in the hobby.

"Sexing Hawaiian Dragon Moray Eels

Dear Mr. Fenner,

I currently have one Hawaiian Dragon Moray Eel and now have an opportunity to purchase a second specimen. I would most appreciate any information you could provide relative to determining the sex of Dragon Moray Eels as well as breeding information. I recognize that this would be a difficult challenge and am prepared to do whatever is required.

I am currently in the process of setting up a 437 gallon tank to hopefully house these two Morays. Your anticipated response is most appreciated.

No external differences between the sexes. Have seen (rarely) morays in "pairs" (and on occasion more than one, two species in a hole/cave) while diving, but never Enchelycore pardalis. Bob Fenner>

Kindest regards,
Ronald Allard"

Last edited by AmandaL; 03/15/2007 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03/15/2007, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AmandaL
Dragon Moray are said to have a life span of 25 - 30 years.

My boyfriend's is 13 years old...DNA tested.
Amanda I was just wondering how does DNA tell the age of an eel?
Old 03/15/2007, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

Where did you guys get your dragons? I have been looking for one but am skeptical about spending that much $$ online.

Also are they very hardy? Do they eat well? Are they very aggressive with their tankmates?

Any help is very appreciated.
Old 03/16/2007, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

All accounts Ive heard are that they are very hardy and aggressive. Most eat well even if you start on frozens. I would really like a species tank for one of these guys. soooo cool.

they are rare and in high demand and can range in price from 800-200$. I think it's because Hawaii restricts their export.
Old 03/16/2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

I got mine from my LFS. They were able to get me one. I too did not want to get one from the net. Mine seems very hardy, ate the very next day. I feed him shrimp once a week, and squid the other feeding day of the week. As far as aggression, I guess that depends on the particular eel. I have heard them to be aggressive to very aggressive, however, mine has shrimp and peaceful fish in the tank with them (including a dartfish), he doesn't bother anything. I think the trick is I always fed him with a feeding stick...
Old 03/16/2007, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

AmandaL, 2 of the dragons I've had as well as a few others fellow hobbyists of which I've seen personally have had marked differences in coloration and were subsequently sexed in the manner you describe and consistent with the observations I describe above the males were darker/brighter than the pale(duller) females. The testing supported this, at least in my relatively small sample (7 eels) of which 4 were female. Was this coincidence? maybe? but each female was much lighter in color than every male This was done at a local aquarium near L.A. California by a friend of mine that once worked there. I'm familiar with Bob Fenner and actually, according to MR. Fenners response unless you mis-typed it he says he has never seen a pair of dragons in the wild?
Old 03/16/2007, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete
AmandaL, 2 of the dragons I've had as well as a few others fellow hobbyists of which I've seen personally have had marked differences in coloration and were subsequently sexed in the manner you describe and consistent with the observations I describe above the males were darker/brighter than the pale(duller) females. The testing supported this, at least in my relatively small sample (7 eels) of which 4 were female. Was this coincidence? maybe? but each female was much lighter in color than every male This was done at a local aquarium near L.A. California by a friend of mine that once worked there. I'm familiar with Bob Fenner and actually, according to MR. Fenners response unless you mis-typed it he says he has never seen a pair of dragons in the wild?
Amanda's boyfriend, here. Nice to meet some fellow Dragon owners. We're far and few between...long time owners, anyway.

On all accounts, Pete, I wouldn't quite call it coincidence. But, of course you're going to find many differences between each specimen...especially after you knew, for sure, the sex of each.

Scientifically proven, their patterns are like fingerprints...no two are alike.

If you were talk walk up to a tank full of Dragons, there's no way for anyone to be able to tell their sex, just by looking at them. You could guess and maybe you'd be right 25%/50% of the time, but guessing is all it would be.

I've worked at Shedd Aquarium, in Chicago...have many colleagues at Sea World, Orlando and Monterey Bay...blah, blah, blah...scientists, around the world, all agree that you cannot tell the sex just by looking at the specimen.

We could argue about this all day, I'm sure...and no offense to you, but I'm more likely to believe world renowned individuals over a fellow hobbiest, who's just happened to have a few of these eels.
Old 03/16/2007, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

No offense taken. Just to add, some of us here are more than mere "hobbyists" many here, myself included have a background in marine biology or similar fields, yourself for instance, and are often mischaracterized as simply "another hobbyist", what does he know anyway? Anyhow, interesting info nonetheless.