Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/10/2007, 02:08 PM
Professional Hen Teaser

Only ZeoSpur2 and Pohls?

Does anyone just use these together without the enitre zeovit system? If so how did it work?
Old 03/11/2007, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

Pohl's CV is a very good coral food. You do have to keep a close eye on your nutrient levels.

Carefull with ZeoSpur2 it can cause major changes very quickly. Best to use as instructed.
Old 03/11/2007, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by emora
Pohl's CV is a very good coral food. You do have to keep a close eye on your nutrient levels.
Why is that? Every site that carries it says it "does not raise PO4 or NO3."
Old 03/11/2007, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PUGroyale
Why is that? Every site that carries it says it "does not raise PO4 or NO3."
Is that so? I've been using it since before there was any documentation. I was not aware of these claims.

Maybe that's the case in a system using the ZEOvit method proper. However, I used PCV on wo different systems without zeolites and without dosing ZEObac. I dosed it almost daily for about 8 months on these aquaria. I noticed that whenever I went too far I would get diatom blooms or cyanobacteria would appear. A good friend also had the same experience.

Perhaps the recommendation, rather than watch nutrient levels, should be to use sparingly, skim heavily, and observe closely. If you see an algae bloom, stop for a few days until it remits. Then resume usage at a slightly lower dosage.

I've been using PCV since it came to my country sometime in 2005. I recommend it and I would not want to go without.
Old 03/11/2007, 06:29 PM
Professional Hen Teaser

Do you need the entire zeovit basic 4 if you use just the zeospur2?
Old 03/12/2007, 03:58 AM
Registered Member

The purists say you should follow the method strictly.

I dont see much danger in using the supplements (amino acids and coral foods) without the full blow method. Maybe its not as effective. Maybe there will be some side effects. But no major danger.

Some of the other products, like Spur2 provoke important changes in your corals. If used without following the ZEOvit system guidelines your completely on your own.

In any case, the method is easy to follow. Once you get the hang of it, it takes very little effort if your accustomed to following a regimen of basic good husbandry... like weekly water changes.

I certainly suggest you read the guide.
http://www.captiveoceans.com/pdfs/ZEOguide1.02.pdf
Old 03/12/2007, 11:39 AM
Professional Hen Teaser

Yeah I read that. I was just wondering what the effect of just using the zeospur would be, without the entire system. If I could expect color enhancement.
Old 03/20/2007, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

The spur 2 is just one of the many tools to use to fine tune your colors. IMO this product produces the fastest most dramatic results.. the reduction in the zooxanthelle in the coral so the light will better penetrate the coral. This product really has to be used carefully, (you can actually harm your sps if you dont) so if you do dose it, use half of the suggested dose. Then if you dont see the results your going for wait a week then dose again using slightly more etc etc. until you find your sweet spot. It's actually a really cool product if used correctly. In a matter if hours you will see a lightining effect.
Old 03/20/2007, 08:32 PM
Professional Hen Teaser

So it will color up my corals without the entire Zeovit system?