Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/09/2007, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

new rbta in tank

I just put an rbta in my tank and have a couple of questions.

My clownfish are still not in it (2 wild caught true percs). Is there a way to trick them to get in?

My anemone has moved completely under a rock (no sunlight). Why is it doing that?
Old 03/09/2007, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

I'd like to know the answer to that also. I put a bta in my tank yesterday out in the front with plenty of light and he moved into the back of the tank in a crack in the rock in a shady spot. The cleaner shrimp won't leave him alone. Aren't they supposed to sting the shrimp. Mine is about 3", how much should I feed him. I target fed him about 1/2 of a krill and he ate it right up. The OC clowns haven't moved in yet.
Old 03/09/2007, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

When you first introduce an anenome into your tank, it usually move to a shady spot , under rock, cave or area with no light because it reacting to the change (lighting, water flow, tank condition (mature tank is a must)). Anenome can't really adjust to the enviroment like some fish do that is why lighting and water condition need to be excellent. It needs to have that..can't adjust to the low lighting or just ok water condition. It mights look fine for the first few months but it will slowly wasting away
Remember, anenome is an animal so just like adding new fish, when you put a new fish in the tank...it doesn't swim around right away..it usually hide in a shady place somewhere. Everyone places their anenome right under the light in the center spot of the tank when first introduce to the tank but if your lighting is diff from the shop where you buy it from or water flow are different
..it will move around or hide and later on it will find a spot on its own to settle and stay there for a while. As how long it will be in the shadow? it is all depends on each anenome responses
to your tank condition.

Last edited by kttsf; 03/09/2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03/09/2007, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

what about the fact that my wild caught true percs are not hosting my anemone and how do trickthem or get them into it. My water quality is perfect and my lighting is strong with plenty of flow. so going by what you said he is just adjusting to his new tank.
Old 03/10/2007, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

should i try to feed the nem at this time (when it is hiding under the rocks) or should I leave it alone to coax it to come out for some food???
Old 03/10/2007, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

For true percs, you just never know...it's very unpredictable. Hope that they will choose your anenome to host but sometime they will host something else in the tank eventhough you have an anenome in the tank. If they start to swim around the anenome or acting curious about it...then it is a good sign. There are some teniques that you might want to try to trick them. Put some thing that look like a clown fish(toys, pictures, salad clip with nemo on it) near the anenome. Another way is when feeding time for the clowns, try to do it close to the anenome as possible. Most people I know just wake up one day and see the clowns are in the nem without trying anything. Again, they will mostlikely host the your anenome but they might aslo decide to host your other corals instead. Paitient is the key to this hobby and I think eventually your clowns will choose to host your anenome.