Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/08/2007, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

What is considered moderate flow?

Can anyone explain it?
Old 03/08/2007, 05:44 PM
RC Mod

For a 29g tank, I'd guess that 600 gph (20x the tank volume) is a reasonable guess as to what is meant by moderate flow, but there's a sad lack of quantification in most references.
Old 03/08/2007, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

There's some awfully big words there, Jonathan. But, sounds like pretty good answer.

To put it in a visual sense, If you were looking at a coral, or an anemone, and it was waving in the water, back and forth, little more than a soft wave, that would be a moderate flow. Not really blowing it around hard, just keeping it moving. You know, moderate!

Of course, if you are looking for a general answer about moderate overall flow in the tank, then forget what I said and go with the Bertoni answer.
Old 03/08/2007, 06:05 PM
Team RC Member

i agree, I've had the hardest time getting the flow right in my tank because no great explanation as to what constitutes low/med/high flow. And even then, getting the right flow pattern can be even trickier. For instance, even though 600gph is 20x tank volume, it may take a couple of those to get the "flow" just right. I'd start with a 600gph and go from there.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!