Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/28/2007, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

Exclamation I Want A Peacock Mantis!!!

I'm looking to get a peacock mantis. I've been trying to get one for a while now. I have gotten 3 mantis's from the LFS I work part time at and none of them are peacocks. I love the ones I have but I still want a Peacock. I'm willing to either pay for one or I'm willing to trade corals or frags. Some one please help me!!! I would try and get one through my work again but I'm afraid it won't be a peacock and I know I'll still end up bringing it home. I'm such a softie for these guys.

Thanks in advance

James
Old 02/28/2007, 10:25 AM
KS reefer

check w\ mknwaves.com they usually have a few.
Old 02/28/2007, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

I second that, I got my peacock from mknwaves.com. If you call around to wholesalers and leave your name, they will run into one eventually. I have bought three that way over the years.

Oh, and ZC -- I just put xenia in my mantis tank
Old 03/01/2007, 01:02 AM
KS reefer

LOL that's were all mine xenia is also!!!! I'll just never put it in my reef tank again!

Hey also check the divers den at liveaquaria.com from time to time. They have what they call a lime green mantis in their collectors corner right now, you may call and see what species that one is? Just a thought Good luck!
Old 03/07/2007, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

Bump......Anybody???? Ive tried makinwaves and theyve been jacking me around , so any other suggestions
Old 03/07/2007, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

if you want one bad enough i could sell you mine, it would be about 70-80 for her plus shipping though, she just made a successful complete molt and is quite the character from what youve read james, plus if your close enough ground shipping might be only 1 day, if not priority will probably be one day only, i would love to keep her but with what i just had to pay for a utility bill tanks are getting taken down and im not taking down my 125
Old 03/08/2007, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

If you do not want to take mattyice up on his offer (sounds like a decent deal) try Blue Zoo Aquatics. I have a 4" peacock coming from them later today. When I called they had another one about 2.5" that they think my be a peacock as well. At that small a size it is somewhat difficult to distinguish the mantis as a peacock or not. The person I spoke with stated that this time of year peacocks come in almost every week. Price was decent at just over $75 delivered overnight. Just make sure it is a peacock. I got sold one a few months back that was a Gonodactylus chiragra and not a peacock. I was finally able to sell the mantis the other day. Peacocks are much more interactive. Good luck, you'll get yours eventually.
Old 03/08/2007, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

if they can guarentee its a peacock thats a good deal, but james has had quite a few problems with people guaranteeing peacocks
Old 03/08/2007, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

Thats right Matty.....I sure have
Old 03/08/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

there is a place in Delaware where i went two days ago, Just Fish. i'm sure you can look up their number online and see if they ship or not. i dont think they have a website though. they have a 5" peacock for $80. i'm 90% sure it is a peacock but i'm no mantis expert.
Old 03/08/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

at 5" it was a peacock, no other smasher gets that size with any similar coloration
Old 03/08/2007, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Fishy inc and Petswarehouse on long Island both have peacock mantis. I do not know if Fshy Inc. will ship but am pretty sure that petswarehouse would be willing to ship. oh ya I think they were about $40 each in both stores.