Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/04/2007, 11:17 PM
Premium Member

Sump/Refugium

I currently have my sump with a few pieces of live rock in it to add to filtration and also for pod growing. I am thinking of adding some macro algae (chaeto) and a small light. I am limited on space (footprint for overly large skimmer) and placing more baffles in the sump may be out of the question. I do not plan on adding any live sand at this point but would not rule it out totally. Does anyone run anything like this in their sump? I know that it would not qualify as a full blown refuge but for pod growth I think that it would work. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 03/05/2007, 07:29 AM
Premium Member

Anyone?
Old 03/05/2007, 08:57 AM
One Good Friend

T, there are many people who do this. You can get a rubbermaid container with holes in it and put it into your sump with the rock and chaeto in it. Just add a small light over it, preferable a cheap clip on. I use a flood light that draws 15w but puts out 75w. Works great adn this setup is cheap. Good luck!
Old 03/05/2007, 01:02 PM
Premium Member

What type of flood light do you use? Is it clip on? Where did you purchase it? I have read that HD and Lowes have some inexpensive lighting that works well.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 03/05/2007, 01:20 PM
Premium Member

I actually picked up a small wastebasket which I think will work well. I think I will drill some holes through it to allow water to pass and it will enable me to put some sand in the bottom. It will not be much but it will serve the purpose. I think I will just get a cheap clip-light and get a flood bulb that is compatable. Can add some rock and chaeto and I have an instant pod generator in case I want to add a mandarin down the road. If not, nothing lost just some more filtration. Thanks for the idea.

Tim
Old 03/05/2007, 01:34 PM
One Good Friend

Cheap and effective is what i do well : ) Yea i picked up the light at lowes and the clip reflector as well. I think the light was 6 bux and the reflector clip was around 8-10. Its a flood light the twist looking one. It should last a couple yrs, but you should replace it every 6mths or so.....i can handle 6 bux twice a year. Your setup sounds good. The light should say 75w at 15w power. So its only pullin 15w......if only MH's and t5's could do that. Let me know if you need anything else. If you don't hear from me, just pm me.