Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/18/2007, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

fins: split or single?

hey all,

i'm getting certified next month and have yet to get my necessaries.

one thing i wanted to know about were the fins they have now, the split fins. anyone use these? pros/cons?

i can't freakin' wait to get wet in monterey. i've been surfing for almost fifteen years, so this is just gunna be icing on the cake.
Old 02/18/2007, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

Split fins are very nice, much more efficient than regular fins.
Only 2 cons that I know of, price and if you ever do work with reels and lines they are an entanglement hazard.
Old 02/18/2007, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

Splits all the way! I will never go back to normal paddle fins. My splitties have more power than my old paddles and use less than half the effort.
Essentially splits have made paddle fins redundant for all but freediving.
Old 02/19/2007, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

My Atomic split fins feel alot better than the singles. Go with the split fins, they are worth it.
Old 02/22/2007, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

I use splits, but they aren't the best in current. It all depends on where you will be diving.
Old 02/22/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Why do you think they are not good in currents?

My wife and I dive in some of the strongest currents every week. We dive in the Niagara River, Strong currents in Lake erie at the mouth of the river, tide currents, and general ocean currents. We also help keep the sea lion tank clean at the Niagara Falls Aquarium, which has a really stiff current from the filter system.

I will take my splits over a set of blades any day.
Old 02/23/2007, 03:01 AM
Registered Member

We dive in the Niagara River

sounds cool! any pics?
Old 02/23/2007, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

No not yet, I just picked my camera last Dec.
We have only done 1 dive since then, I'm trying to talk my wife in to a winter dive but she does not like the 32 degree water.
Old 02/23/2007, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

for fppf

Tell her to get a thick wet suit like I did. Using your words "Duh"!!!!. She should have no problem with it or just move South.! I learned to dive in Monteray Bay, CA during the winter. My hubby learned to dive in Syracuse, NY also during the winter. What is the big deal? We were not to kean on the cold weather, so we moved South, but we did not ***** and moan while we were there. You either deal with it or get out.
Renee
Old 02/23/2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Well, I don't think you would want to meet my wife right now.
She would have some choice words for ya if you know what I mean.

And you would never even think about diving in the river now with a wet suit, you would most likely die. We dive in dry suits with many layers of thermal protection under them. Its one thing to do a quick dip in 32 degree water, its a whole other thing to spend over an hour in 32 degree water. We don't have a problem with core temperature but no matter which gloves you wear your hands really suffer bad.

Trust me, she will dive in much harder conditions than anyone I know. She will dive with me when the other guys at the shop chicken out.
Old 03/03/2007, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Everybody has their preference. I own both spits and blades I'm in the water most of the week and you will never catch me again with a pair of spits. I have the twin jets just before anybody says I was using a bad fin. But spilts do work for some people, some dive shops will let you try them on especially if they have their own pool, and as long as you dont scratch them. I recomend blades as long as you dont go with a little wimpy blade, I use the cressi reactions, its a long blade are pretty stiff, if you feel you have weak legs then go with splits.
Old 03/04/2007, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

I also agree that split fins are no good where there is current or your going to have a heavy task load. I've tried them and while it's easier to kick with, I feel they're for calmer conditions. I don't see them being used here in NJ on the boats I go on.
Old 03/04/2007, 10:49 AM
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper

Long blade freedive fins are my preference here....I use them on SCUBA and the kick ratio is about 1:2 for long:regular blades. I know quite a few very experienced divers who feel the same as I about the longblades. JME