Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/01/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

Summer6
Not a ton of problems with algae. I just go in and grab hand fulls every once in a while or scrape it off with a plastic putty knife. It really is building up near the skimmer output. My house really isn't in a basement but an unfinished downstairs. I live in a split foyer style house. You know the kind toy walk up some stairs and when you walk in the door you have to go up or down... So the room is heated and cooled.

Trekkie
I would keep it off direct contact with a concrete floor. That can suck the heat out of anything. Mine is supported on some 2x4s.

Sidjam
The knock offs that I have seen were not as solid as the Rubbermaid. More playable like the consistantcy of a tire. I wanted something solid and thick. That way I can stack stuff on it or whatever. The others seemed to be more resistant to a horse kicking it and not being damaged. It would take a lot to break one of the Rubbermaids, but it is a hard solid plastic with little give.
Old 03/01/2007, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by controlguy
i can get a used Mag24 for $60.00 locally, do you guys think this will work well for 15' of head between a 90g tank, and 100g sump? Or should I go to a sequence marlin - uno pressure pump? or equivalent?
I used the head loss calc on the front page to help me determine what pump to buy. I ended up with a Sequence 4300. I am planning on running my return with it along with my skimmer when I get everything setup...

Andy
Old 03/01/2007, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

I have a Seq 4300. It's a remarkable pump. By far the most reliable pump I've ever owned.
Old 03/02/2007, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

Yea, mine has been making a wrrrrrring noise every once in a while. Like something is vibrating. I had a 1/2 inch pvc feeding it with a 90 deg just before the inlet. I changed it to 2" pvc with a long 90 deg as I though it may have been cavitation. I love the pump. Money well spent.
Old 03/02/2007, 02:00 PM
Premium Member

^^^Thanks for the info on the algae growth.
Old 03/02/2007, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Now I have a 175 MH on the temp setup right now. When it is a true sump I will not have any light on it. Since it will be just water...
Old 03/04/2007, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

wonk how is you 120 doing do you have any growth pixes i might have to go with better pump fist mak4 only made it one year
Old 11/12/2007, 01:45 AM
Registered Member

I know old thread but added refugium