Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > New Jersey Reefer's Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/14/2007, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

Absolutely Fish is way over priced, they where good but now there are slacking, Where you suggest I go? I live in West Orange, Hanover Pet is Awful to.
Old 01/14/2007, 08:58 AM
NJ Reefers Club

Wow. That list went up almost 18 months ago! It hasn't been "maintained" since then though. Joe, if you want to spruce up the list we can post a new one. That would be a big help! The "map" can be added to by anyone.
Old 02/06/2007, 10:01 AM
addict

aquatic obsessions, rt 35 avenel nj.
Old 02/20/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

new

Saw a new place on Rt 28 in Dunellen just west of Washigton ave on the right,think its called Red Sand ? Didnt get a chane to look in .
Old 02/26/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

add fishtown usa on rt 17south in ramsey nj they got a beautiful sps tank filled with frags, a custom lookdown clam tank and cover just about all the bases with everything else
Old 02/27/2007, 06:47 AM
Premium Member

Fishtown USA in Ramsey has come a long way thanks to Alex, who is a saltwater enthusiast.
It is good to have an alternative to Absolutely Fish close by.
Old 04/04/2007, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

Found a store not listed ...
The Fishbowl
2019-E2 Greenwood Lake Tpke
Hewit, NJ 07421
973-728 1110
Old 04/08/2007, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

I reccomend Underwater World in Roselle Park. Very small store but the guy knows what he's talking about. He has some beatiful reef tanks with great colors. All of his fish are healthy, quality specimens and he won't sell you a fish that isn't. If you need any info, he's the guy to talk to. In the past he's had some amazing stuff like a Scorpion, and he now has a Rockfish.

Absolutely Fish is a good place to find exotic stuff. The staff isn't the smartest in the world and the prices are high, but it's not like I'm paying for it anyway. I'm only 14, my dad is the one who was the wallet. They have some rare stuff. They get Conspicuous, Adult Emperor, and Personifier Angels quite a bit. They're newly set-up reef is great too. Geez, those metal halides are hot.

Tropiquarium is also a good place. Their display tanks are breathtaking. They have 2 SW displays that about 550 gallons each, and some really cool FW displays. They get some nice fish in aswell, and some nice corals. Nice place overall.
Old 04/08/2007, 09:15 AM
Premium Member

Jesse -KT. For a 14 year old, you write and express yourself better than many adults I know- nice post.

Absolutely Fish is a great store to look at livestock; their prices are a real turnoff though. For dry goods only in ab absolute emergency should one go there. Their help can be extremely knowlegable or you can feel blown off, depending on how busy they are, who the salesperson is... etc..
Old 04/08/2007, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
their prices are a real turnoff though
Definitely. They sell everyday stuff for a lot more than other places. Getting correct information with the staff is hit or miss. You either run into a guy who nows his stuff, or someone who is simply guessing by the looks of the fish. More likely the latter. Surprising, as I believe a Marine Biologist runs that place. Usually my father and I go there to look. I would only buy there if it was something that you don't see everyday.
Old 04/10/2007, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesse-KT
I reccomend Underwater World in Roselle Park. Very small store but the guy knows what he's talking about. He has some beatiful reef tanks with great colors. All of his fish are healthy, quality specimens and he won't sell you a fish that isn't. If you need any info, he's the guy to talk to. In the past he's had some amazing stuff like a Scorpion, and he now has a Rockfish.

Small store with not a large number of tanks however I do concur that this has to be one of the best kept secrets. Each of his tanks are in great shape with great care taken to the inhabitants. He also, over the course of time, has a great variety of different things. It is always a treat to stop down and not know what you may run into.....

Chris
Old 04/13/2007, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Small store with not a large number of tanks however I do concur that this has to be one of the best kept secrets. Each of his tanks are in great shape with great care taken to the inhabitants. He also, over the course of time, has a great variety of different things. It is always a treat to stop down and not know what you may run into.....
I agree, he knows what he's doing, and all of his fish are top notch. My father and I have recently bought some corals for our nano, a torch, a clam, and uhhh, I don't now the name of the other one. He said that if it weren't for corals, he'd be out of business. He gives some great advice, and he's always the guy to go to if your in need of advice.
Old 05/01/2007, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

Hanover Pet in East Hanover (central) is really in the North (Essex county). Sharks Aquarium (North) is no longer in business or at least they no longer occupy the space at the address given.
Old 05/01/2007, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drillsar
Absolutely Fish is way over priced, they where good but now there are slacking, Where you suggest I go? I live in West Orange, Hanover Pet is Awful to.
I too live in West Orange and agree with statements regarding Absolutely Fish. I love going there just to look but I never buy as their prices are astronomical. Aarons Aquarium on Stuyvesant in union is a good place. They keep good care of their tanks and have a nice selection. As someone else mentioned they also hand pick all of their specimens. Where can I get information regarding the NJ Reefers Club?
Old 05/02/2007, 10:52 AM
New Jersey Reefers Club

Hey Chase

Here is a link to information regarding the club.

New Jersey Reefers Club

Is this a hobby or an obsession!?
Old 05/02/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

Thanks
Old 06/05/2007, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

hey guys. can anyone recommend any of these stores? i guess particularly to obtain an anemone for my clown fish? i like the list, but i'm having trouble finding one which the masses recommend and have the best reputation.

(i'm in northern nj so the closest one would be convenient)

thanks in advance!

ryan
Old 06/05/2007, 10:57 AM
NJ Reefers Club

Where in Northern NJ are you?
Old 06/05/2007, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Phyl
Where in Northern NJ are you?
morris county

i work in newark...so i guess any stores close to there would be ok as well. (maybe i'll swing by underwater world this week)
Old 06/05/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

I guess you can't go wrong with absolutely fish. Some say their prices are a little high. I don't think their prices are that far off from other LFS's it depends on what you are getting. For quality I'd rate them rather high. I must admit though I haven't shopped at too many places to compare them to. Maybe three or four other shops. I guess I need to checkout underwater world also.

Last edited by chase33; 06/05/2007 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06/06/2007, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chase33
I guess you can't go wrong with absolutely fish. Some say their prices are a little high. I don't think their prices are that far off from other LFS's it depends on what you are getting. For quality I'd rate them rather high. I must admit though I haven't shopped at too many places to compare them to. Maybe three or four other shops. I guess I need to checkout underwater world also.
yeah ended up going underwater world. purchased an anemone (see other post) and a longnose butterfly fish.
Old 06/06/2007, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ryanpal
yeah ended up going underwater world. purchased an anemone (see other post) and a longnose butterfly fish.
How is that place? I've never been.
Old 06/06/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

not bad. i wish i could give you better details, however it was practically the first one i've been in. therefore i don't have much to compare to. the longnose butterfly fish is pretty damn cool
Old 06/12/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

I bought some stuff off this guy on eBay, He is in NNJ and has a place you can go to just email him first to let him know. So far it is the best place I found in New Jersey for Coral, very fair on pricing (he has everything from nano on up to the big boys) and his shipping is also very fair (not like others trying to get 45 bucks out of you to send a small box) I said I was going to do FOLR and now I keep buying more Coral...lol Check him out here.

http://altisreef.com/index.html

Let him know Ron from Clifton sent you...
Old 06/12/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RONCGIZMO
I bought some stuff off this guy on eBay, He is in NNJ and has a place you can go to just email him first to let him know. So far it is the best place I found in New Jersey for Coral, very fair on pricing (he has everything from nano on up to the big boys) and his shipping is also very fair (not like others trying to get 45 bucks out of you to send a small box) I said I was going to do FOLR and now I keep buying more Coral...lol Check him out here.

http://altisreef.com/index.html

Let him know Ron from Clifton sent you...
thanks for this link. It looks good. It's close to me and I hope to go in to see what they have sometime soon.