Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/26/2007, 01:20 PM
Premium Member

$189 paperweight from coralife and marinedepot

I ordered the coralife turbotwist from marine depot and it worked well for a few months. Then, it stopped working and I replaced the bulb. no go. Then I tried another bulb. no go.

I contacted coralife and marine depot. coralife's website is messed up and generates an error for RMA submissions. I also emailed and phoned without receiving a response.

marine depot was a bit better and responded almost immediately. however, they merely stated the 30 day return policy, which I knew I was beyond. that response is a bit less than I expected. i was hoping they would correct the problem or apply some influence on coralife to correct the problem. other retailers have really stepped up in similar situations. I am suprised and disappointed that marine depot did not.

Greg
Old 02/26/2007, 02:07 PM
Premium Member

Marine Depot is a first class dry goods supplier. If they have a 30 day policy...you were outside of the 30 day policy. If Coralife does not stand behind their product...do not order anything anymore from them. But as far as Marinedepot...when are they supposed to decide is too long?

I have never had a problem with Marinedepot.com. There shipping is fast and the staff is always helpful.
Old 02/26/2007, 02:20 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Agreed. You cant expect them to do anything for you if it has been months since their responsibility ended on the product/purchase. They sent you the product and you received it. Sorry you had something break on you. It happens.

Jeff

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 02/26/2007, 02:25 PM
Premium Member

I'd hate to see what you think how a second class supplier should act.

I would think that a first class supplier would influence manufacturers to honor their warranties and/or only sell items where the manufacturers did honor their warranties.
Old 02/26/2007, 02:58 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Huh? What does that mean?

If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 02/26/2007, 03:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9340328#post9340328 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Engine 7
Huh? What does that mean?
You repsonded too quickly when I responded to TChristman.
Old 02/26/2007, 04:28 PM
que sais-je

There is absolutely no reason why Marine Depot cannot expedite communication between greg10 and Coralife.
Yes they do have a 30 day policy, however greg10 made the purchase with MD and MD should assist their customer (greg10) with contacting the manufacturer.
Old 02/26/2007, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

I had a problem with a CoralLife product.I couldn't find a phone number,so I emailed them.It took them 2 weeks to reply,but they did email saying they would request a replacement part be sent to me.Of course, I don't know if or when I will get the part.They also answered an email to another person and sent the response to me.I think they have a definite problem in the customer service department.
Old 02/26/2007, 05:30 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9341219#post9341219 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Green Mariner
There is absolutely no reason why Marine Depot cannot expedite communication between greg10 and Coralife.
Yes they do have a 30 day policy, however greg10 made the purchase with MD and MD should assist their customer (greg10) with contacting the manufacturer.
Kidding right?
Marine Depot sold him the product literally months ago. It broke while he was using it. Why should they be responsible? They did not manufacture it, warranty it, nor vouch for it. They simply sold it to him for less money then any local fish store ever could.
I have used Marine Depot for years with no problem. They dont deserve this.

Jeff

Old 02/26/2007, 06:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9341767#post9341767 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Engine 7
Kidding right?
Marine Depot sold him the product literally months ago. It broke while he was using it. Why should they be responsible? They did not manufacture it, warranty it, nor vouch for it. They simply sold it to him for less money then any local fish store ever could.

Jeff
You are entitled to your opinion. There are other less reputable retailers out there and people on ebay that I avoid because I choose to deal with first class retailers. I've encountered similar situations before and the retailers have stepped up. I'm not saying marine depot is terrible, just that I expected more from them in this instance. If this had happened with some ebay seller, I wouldn't have even tried to contact them.

Maybe I will eventually get this resolved with coralife, but retailers have a little more influence.
Old 02/26/2007, 07:59 PM
que sais-je

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9341767#post9341767 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Engine 7
Kidding right?

Jeff
No not kidding, it is a very easy thing to do for a customer, and only takes a few minutes.
Old 02/26/2007, 09:17 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

MD helped me to contact a certain company when I had a problem with a product. They contacted them themselves, as well as gave me all their contact info. I think that's sufficient.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 02/27/2007, 12:25 PM
master of junk mail

MD probably never even touched the product, most of that stuff is drop shipped direct from the manufacturer.
Coralife/ESU/Oceanic/Kent/AGA/etc are all now worthless companies under the "guidance" of Central Garden & Pet. We have multiple warranty claims in with them (some over a month old). They have no way to track the status of a claim, they can only verify that it was received.
All Central owned products are in a state of being phased out of our shop for the fact that this publicly traded company is creating a sinkhole for the hobby's demise. Not to mention there are far better quality, independent products out there at comparable prices.
I'll get off my soapbox now.
Old 02/27/2007, 01:04 PM
RC Sponsor

Hi Greg,

Please contact Walter in our Customer Service Department. He will be able to assist you with your defective item. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Ben R.
Director of Operations
www.marinedepot.com
Old 02/27/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

TheMcs-
Good info.That explains why the reply I received in error from CoralLife was in reference to an AGA overflow fit.
Old 02/27/2007, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

Thanks to Walter and Ben, I am happy as a clam!
Old 02/27/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

I agree central aquatics is a joke still waiting for a reply on a kent product.