Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/28/2006, 08:58 PM
Premium Member

Question auto-top-off any good ones?

I was wondering about auto top offs for my sump are there any good ones out there ? I dont want to buy three or four till I find a decent one know what i mean? [IMG]http://[/IMG]
Old 12/28/2006, 10:26 PM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

a litermeter 3 is top of the line imo.
Old 12/29/2006, 10:31 AM
Lo?

Quote:
Originally posted by twon8
a litermeter 3 is top of the line imo.
http://oceanussystems.com/index.aspx
Old 12/29/2006, 11:03 AM
Premium Member

I'm a big fan of the Tunze Osmolator, but I was just reminded that its important to periodically clean the optical level sensor. It became covered in coraline and stopped topping off. Fortunately, it did this yesterday, and I was able to clean it, rather than, say, next week, when I'll be out of town (yikes).

jds
Old 12/29/2006, 01:01 PM
Moved On

I have a Atlas from Oceanus Systems - its a GREAT unit ... there are different version - with different float level 'sensors/switches' .... haven't had an issue with mine ... works great, and its manufactured & assembled quite nice!
Old 01/02/2007, 08:45 PM
Premium Member

thanks for your replys
Old 01/02/2007, 08:49 PM
FOWLR

there is only one auto-top-off that can go directly into the sump and thats the SpectraPure Pass-To-Drain system. All others would contaminate your water because there is a TDS spike the first few gallons of RO/DI water.

http://www.spectrapure.com/St_PTD_p0.htm

The Pass-To-Drain will flush the system for 5min before top-off.
Old 01/03/2007, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

Autotopoff.com
Old 01/03/2007, 01:25 AM
Registered Member

go to top-off.com they are the best and cheap and work a long long time.
Old 01/03/2007, 02:38 AM
reef obsessed

I use an www.autotopoff.com and love it. Works great.
Old 01/03/2007, 07:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xenon
there is only one auto-top-off that can go directly into the sump and thats the SpectraPure Pass-To-Drain system. All others would contaminate your water because there is a TDS spike the first few gallons of RO/DI water.

http://www.spectrapure.com/St_PTD_p0.htm

The Pass-To-Drain will flush the system for 5min before top-off.
Eeek! Hooking the RO/DI directly to the topoff for the sump? That's a setup for disaster. If the ATO ever stuck on, you'd end up with a fresh water tank

I prefer a limited reservoir for the topoff water. It is still easy to plumb the RO/DI output into things without having an essentially uninterrupted connection.

For an ATO system, I use a Tunze osmolator. Very nice setup. Very dependable.
Old 01/03/2007, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

i had a tunze and the optic sensor always needed cleaned or did not work because of to much light hitting it got rid of it.
Got a oceanus systems had it over a year no problems never even cleaned it yet.

Last edited by baja_hammer2003; 01/03/2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01/05/2007, 12:59 AM
Registered Member

www.aquahub.com gives u a bunch of options on how to set up the ato
Old 01/05/2007, 07:39 AM
Premium Member

I have not had to clean my osmolator sensor, nor does it build up coraline -- but I don't have light in my return section so there really is no reason for anything to build up, or no way for coraline to grow.
Old 01/05/2007, 07:45 AM
Premium Member

switches

I ordered 3 switches yesterday. I have installed a RO/DI system that runs to a bucket with a float switch. The water leaves the bottom of the bucket to a Kalk reactor. I am currently using a pool doser on a timer to refill the sump at night. I want to install a ATO system this weekend.
I have the relay and the power adapter. I was using a mercury switch on a plastic hinge as a ATO.
Old 01/05/2007, 08:33 AM
Threadkiller

Re: switches

Quote:
Originally posted by dobly_1999
I am currently using a pool doser on a timer to refill the sump at night.
genius.
So provide power to the ATO system once per day, instead of it cycling on and off as the switch triggers it all day? I like this idea a lot.

jp
Old 02/24/2007, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

Hi. Just digging up old threads looking for ATO ideas.

RIght now, I have no sump. THis appears to make things messier/harder. So I'm looking at building a new tank that would have a sump inside the stand, and then run the output for the RO through the wall to fill up some type of tank that would be a resivoir to fill the sump back up as evaporation took it's toll.

I've never used a float switch. Looking around I've been unable to find much except a picture of one, but not one in action. Hhow do these things work?
Old 02/24/2007, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

I love the reef fanatic ATO, it has a double float switch, it is fairly inexpensive and works like a charm.
Old 02/24/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

Hello there are many types of float switch`s out there the most common that have been used for many years in the medical field to industrial applications is a reed type float switch that use`s a magnet to trigger the switch. If you plan on going with out a sump and hooking direct to a ro/di you should ask these questions are the solenoids made from 304 stainless or better ro/di water is very corrosive it is stripped of many ions that make it corrosive to common metals and what size orfice is in the solenoid to small will lead to premature failure of your ro membrane lack of water and is there redundancy built in to the top off device the odds of 2 things failing at the exact same time would be very very very rare. never seen it yet over 30 years as a industrial electrician.

Last edited by oceanus_systems; 02/24/2007 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02/24/2007, 07:00 PM
Team RC Member

I use the 75.00 one from autotopoff.com---easy to calibrate: just push the float down in its holder until the light turns from red to green at the level you want it to be, and let it run a maxijet pump in a bucket...that's on the cheap and easy side of technology.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 02/24/2007, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Trekkie
Hi. Just digging up old threads looking for ATO ideas.

RIght now, I have no sump. THis appears to make things messier/harder. So I'm looking at building a new tank that would have a sump inside the stand, and then run the output for the RO through the wall to fill up some type of tank that would be a resivoir to fill the sump back up as evaporation took it's toll.

I've never used a float switch. Looking around I've been unable to find much except a picture of one, but not one in action. Hhow do these things work?
The Tunze Osmolator would work fine for in tank. It is pretty simple, and would be slightly less complicated actually, than using it in sump. It has an optical sensor that is very sensitive to the tank level, and you could install the emergency float valve slightly above it just in case the tank were to fill up with extra water for some reason. I run my RO/DI line through the wall to a reservoir under my tank.

You might get more responses if you posted this as a new thread.
Old 02/24/2007, 10:48 PM
Team RC Member

A float switch looks like a fat hotdog fitted into a brace. It has wires coming out the top. You adjust its level inside the brace, which fits into your sump. A little floaty thing inside the casing trips the electrics on or off depending on water level and turns on your topoff pump. If you push the casing down it thinks it's way full; if you pull it upward, it thinks it's short some water and turns on. YOu mark your desired water level and push or pull your floatswitch casing accordingly. That's the 'setting' of the float switch---pretty low tech.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.