Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/19/2007, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

Shy clownfish??

So I got this guy about two weeks ago. He is the only guy in the tank. Then last saturday, the 10th, I had to change all of the substrate in my tank. I kind of considered this as a new begining. Anyways, my clownfish has always stayed in one corner of the tank. He will stay there and swim up and down occasionally. Sometimes it looks like he sees himself in the glass. Could this be possible? So my question is if this guy will out grow his shyness and start swimming around like I expected him to...THANKS
Old 02/19/2007, 09:32 PM
"Old Yeller"

Every clown I have had displays that type of behavior unless it is being hosted. Looks psychotic but it is pretty normal for them.

I had one Ocellaris that did nothing but swim up and down in the front corner of the tank for 3 years. One day he decided that the hawaiian feather duster that had been in the tank all the time was going to be his home. Now he just hangs out with the feather duster.

They are not shy, just do not range far from "Home"
Old 02/19/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

clowns are not the most active fish really. I mean they'll waddle around a bunch, but they dont so much go exploring the whole tank like other fish might. If he picks a spot he likes, he'll stick close to that spot.

You may wanna get him another clown depending on how big that tank is.
Old 02/20/2007, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

Well, obviously to show Im a fool, I went in there after posting this and he was going all along the back... Go figure! lol. About the tank, its a 50g and hes the only guy in there right now. I would prefer to stick with just one because I would like to have another cool fish and not two of the same. Also, if these guys arent the most "personable", any reccomendations? I was curious in a sixline wrasse, what are those guys like?
Old 02/20/2007, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Also, if these guys arent the most "personable", any reccomendations?
well they'll be much more active/happy in a pair. Not all fish, just clowns. Most fish like being the only of their type but these are one of the exceptions i guess.

And sixline wrasses are possibly my favorite fish. I've had 2 of them altho both ended very bad...one got sucked up a powerhead, the other jumped through the only gap in my canopy which is like...an inch.

Very cool fish tho, and VERY active.
Old 02/20/2007, 08:24 AM
Premium Member

Be careful adding a 2nd clown. They don't always get along. That's why you see mated pairs being sold for more than 2 singles combined. If your clown is very young I'd risk a 2nd addition. I have a young pair that's been together since the beginning and they're doing fine. As for the six line, I've heard good and bad things. They're great as long as you don't get that 1 that tends to harass all the other occupants in your tank. I've been told that a wrasse should be your very last fish you add to a tank. I have a Melanurus Wrasse, which looks similar to a six line, and I love him. Generally they're regarded as a more docile version of the six line. HTH
Old 02/20/2007, 09:03 AM
"Old Yeller"

You will find after time he gets a lot more friendly...

At feed time, just turn off the pumps and put the food in the water with your fingers. After a few days he will be eating out of your hand.

Clown pairs are all pretty unique, most of mine have over time become less people friendly (well until dinner time) where the singles almost always come to the glass when someone walks up (again I think it is food related)

1 is fine if that is all you want, pairs will also become more territorial as they will eventually spawn and have eggs to protect.
Old 02/20/2007, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

its strange to hear your clowns reactions.... I had a pair that were always swimming around the tank, a pleasure to watch. Then one went carpet surfing, but the other is still fine, with no host. in fact, seems it has hosted with my protein skimmer. I wish I could add another to make a pair, but I don't think its a good idea. Also, my perc clowns were tank-raised.... maybe that makes a difference?
Old 02/20/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

They pack a bite to them as well. The one I have in my 20 tries to tear my hand off everytime it goes in the tank. The pair in my 90 hasn't learned that trick yet i suppose. But they do behave very strangely.
Old 02/20/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

I have what I think is a young pair and all they do is hang out in the back 2 corners of my tank.
Old 02/20/2007, 01:12 PM
Team RC Member

First off, if you have an old enough clown by itself, odds are it's a female or on the way towards being one, so adding another obvious juvinile to the tank would most likely give you a pair.
Second, in regards to my current pair of ocellaris clowns, the female is all over the tank the majority of the time while she leaves the male in his frogspawn to tend to whatever chores he's got to do for the day. He really only swims around for feeding time. But I do occasionally see him swimming away with the baby regal tang and my yellow wrasse. They all get along like a nice little fish family.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 02/20/2007, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

I have never turned off the powerheads in my tank whle feeding. Maybe that will let the guy come out when feeding. Any other reccomendations for fish??
Old 02/20/2007, 07:04 PM
"Old Yeller"

Actually turning off the flow in the tank does a number of things totally unrelated to the fish.

Nutrient control is the primary reason I turn off the flow. After 4 or 5 minutes, I remove all the uneaten food and then start the pumps back up.
Old 02/20/2007, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

I have never turned off the powerheads in my tank whle feeding. Maybe that will let the guy come out when feeding. Any other reccomendations for fish??