Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/14/2007, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

I'd bet that the 3500 impeller will pop right into a GX-2400

If you'd like to know for a fact send your impeller my way ... of course I'd send it right back to ya

I've always been curious myself if it is in fact a true fit. I can take measurements of my impeller and you can do the same if you like.
I have digital calipers so I can be exact if you wish or I can be as accurate as I can using a tape measure.

Many if not most that have used the Quickie Pad stuff eventually reported that the pad falls apart. The mesh that has been shown on this thread is about as tough as wire. It's real strong ... well it's made of nylon.
Old 02/14/2007, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

Hey Randy

I thought the 2400 would be a good choice; I just wasn't sure if it would over-power the skimmer body. Also, I have physical size concerns. Do you know how the 2 compare? It seems the 2400 is smaller.

I'd go ahead and mod the impeller that came with it. If the 3500 impeller fits, I'd have a back-up. And I'll probably go ahead and get some Enkamat. The pad works so well I don't feel a need to rush out. Maybe someone will find something better in the interim. I'll be happy to ride the coat-tails.

Where in Hoosierland are you? I'm about an hour south of Bloomington. You should bring me Enkamat.
Old 02/14/2007, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

Mr Clean where did you get this quickie pad, and some pics would be great. I've got a sedra3500 on a diy recirc. and it need some serios help, and from what i've read the enkmat doesn't work so hot on these pumps.
Old 02/14/2007, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MrClean
Hey Randy

I thought the 2400 would be a good choice; I just wasn't sure if it would over-power the skimmer body. Also, I have physical size concerns. Do you know how the 2 compare? It seems the 2400 is smaller.

I'd go ahead and mod the impeller that came with it. If the 3500 impeller fits, I'd have a back-up. And I'll probably go ahead and get some Enkamat. The pad works so well I don't feel a need to rush out. Maybe someone will find something better in the interim. I'll be happy to ride the coat-tails.

Where in Hoosierland are you? I'm about an hour south of Bloomington. You should bring me Enkamat.
I'm in north central IN near 'South Bend' the Notre Dame area. I do have some basic dimensions already of the GenX 2400 if that helps with the basic size:

Old 02/14/2007, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

Randy - thanks for the info.

Shannonsreef - the quickie pad was near the mops at Walmart. It had a white handle that I peeled the pad from. Sorry, I didn't take any pics. I cut the pins flush with the plate, attached a piece of pad with two zip ties, and trimmed it to size. The mod is well documented in this thread.
Old 02/14/2007, 09:29 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Randy

Do you happen to know where I guy could get a set of specs like that for a Sedra 9000?
Old 02/14/2007, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

www.sedrapump.com

There's a drawing for each sedra pump. I don't think that there's as many dimensions as you'd hope. Last time I checked, some of the drawings didn't enlarge when clicked.
Old 02/14/2007, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

Old 02/14/2007, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

Re: Replacement pump for G2?

Quote:
Originally posted by MrClean

Then I tried the Quickie pad and the improvement was amazing bordering on unbelievable. I have a nice column of bubbles with just about 1/2 inch of clear water at the bottom of the skimmer. For the cost and the ease of procuring that stuff, I don't know if I'll bother hunting down any Enkamat.
I used the quickie first too. It clogs and slowly falls apart.

It did work good at first but the PF4 last longer and doesn't clog.
Old 02/14/2007, 11:11 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Randy

Thanks!
Old 02/15/2007, 12:06 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

Ok, last couple of days, the water level in the cup was high, right at the top of the neck. The airlines seem clear as a bell. Ran hot water through, all ok.

Here's what fixed the problem...

I put my hand over the input of the pumps, essentially pausing them, then removed my hand. After a second, you can hear the sound of the air sucking and it pulls 12 or so lpm again.

Needed to do it on both of the 9000s.

Any clues?

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 02/15/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

I've had this happen a few times too. My theory is that for what ever reason the skimmer foams up mpre producing wet skimmate therefore filling the collection cup unexpectedly. Once the skimmate spills back down the neck straight into the reaction chamber you'll get a vaulcanic action ... some rapid and SERIOUS FOAM.

In a matter if minutes your collection cup is totally full of clear water and flushed out. When I fire the skimmer back up I HAVE to set the stand pipe low. Within a day or so it fills the cup back up with what was originally in there to begin with ... green gunk.
Old 02/20/2007, 01:21 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

I have a question if Marc or others are still following this.

I have an ASM G5 (8.5" x 36") that came with 2xSedra 9000s. I did the mesh mod on both. I read somewhere (Marc/Melev? This thread?) that modding both would overwhelm the chamber of this skimmer. Well I did, and with the gate valve all the way open, I get a pretty incredible froth.

It SEEMS better than when I ran it with just one modded 9000.

I get about 13lpm from each of the mesh-modded pumps (was 7-8lpm before).

Just wondering if there is somethign I'm not following here...

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 02/20/2007, 01:28 PM
TRC Leader

I'm running two meshed pumps, but in your case maybe one is good enough. My skimmer is 12" wide and 30" tall (to the top of the collection cup) and uses two Sedra 5000 pumps.
Old 02/20/2007, 01:38 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

Thanks Marc!

Yeah, you have the skimmer I wanted, but couldn't afford or find used. I thought I'd see you or someone post that 2 modded 9000s in an 8" diam skimmer is too much.

How would one know?

I guess, if I found a need to lower my water level more that would be a sign -- as it can't be lowered any further!

I read somewhere that too much air makes foam fall back into the cup and disturb production of foam (paradox that I can't quite follow). How would one know if that were happening?

Perhaps I should just figure if I see gunky skimmate and consistent foam at the top that all's well and good...

Old 02/20/2007, 01:41 PM
TRC Leader

Can we see a picture of your skimmer (or another one with the same model)? Maybe we can figure out a way to adjust the water height inside the skimmer since your impellars have been modded.
Old 02/20/2007, 01:46 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

Regular old ASM G5. I have the T before the gate valve at the lowest position on the riser now, all the way down, and the gate is all the way open. I tried with the gate first and the T off of that, but that didn't work -- water crashing out of the cup.

Old 02/20/2007, 02:56 PM
TRC Leader

Two things: The water is so dirty the skimmer is pulling out way more than anticipated, and it'll settle down.

The Tee could be installed lower on the side of the skimmer by modifying the pipe beneath it currently. Or just pull the Tee and gate valve off for the moment and see how it runs.

Site note: Clean the inside of the skimmer with a sponge.
Old 02/20/2007, 04:36 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

That's a really old pic, before the mods! Just shows the skimmer configuration.

Again, my question is, simply, is there any reason why 2 Sedra 9000s pullinb 13lpm each of air would be too much for a skimmer this size?

As I said, it is skimming really dark, dark thick skimmate, whereas before the mod it was often what you see here (one problem earlier was the output on the gate valve was submerged. that turned out to be a bad idea.)

Old 02/20/2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Anyone has mesh they can spare me? I want to do this mod now but don't want to buy a large quantity. PM me if you can help out. I can Paypal.

Thanks
Old 02/20/2007, 06:00 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by ostrow
Again, my question is, simply, is there any reason why 2 Sedra 9000s pullinb 13lpm each of air would be too much for a skimmer this size?

I don't know the answer to that because that isn't my forte'. We've got others here on RC that are trigonometry wizards that seem to understand this stuff in their sleep.
Old 02/20/2007, 06:04 PM
TRC Leader

Btw, here is 4 days of skimmate on my meshed-skimmer. I feed once a day, and don't dose phyto.

Old 02/20/2007, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

Seems like the mesh modded sedras are working well on that skimmer Marc.

Did someone ever post the outcome of mesh modding a hydor seltz pump? I'm very curious to see how well it performs.

Also, what size reaction chamber and which pump(s) would a "diy-er" recommend for constructing a skimmer that would handle a heavily loaded 200g system.
Old 02/20/2007, 06:44 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

Marc I've got a lead on an ER 8-5 recirc. Has 2 Sedra 5000s. Tempted to sell the G5 and get that. It's about the same as the 12-2 but just different configuration 8 diam and 48 ht.

Prob won't bother though.

Old 02/21/2007, 06:17 AM
Registered Member

ok so after seeing some pics from diff. websites i noticed that i may have some already. this came with a wetdry filter i got a few years back. can someone tell me if this is the suff i am looking for. and if so will it work good on a asm g2 skimmer with a sedra 3500? also how many layers would i need?
TIA