Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/11/2007, 01:38 AM
Pufferkrazy!

Thanks, that makes me feel better. When I 1st smelled them today though... eeeeewwwww!
Old 02/11/2007, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

It looks like you dipped them in time.When it hits my colonies,they go from white spotted to melting away in a few days.When I looked in the tank with a flashlight at night,the pods were completly covering the colonies eating away the dead stuff.
Old 02/11/2007, 10:44 AM
Pufferkrazy!

Hmmm... Ive got them QTed in a tank that probably has very little pods. I'll throw a handful of sand in there, from my fuge.
Old 02/12/2007, 12:00 AM
Pufferkrazy!

I've been checking every night, after my other zoas have closed. I'm sooooo paranoid it's contageous. Non others seem infected.

Here are my Green meanies before their 3rd treatment:

I'll give them a few days & take more pics. Sure hope I've saved them. It'll be a while before they look like this again:

Old 02/12/2007, 10:59 PM
saru mo ki kara ochiru

I don't want this pox, but after seeing the results, I almost do.
Altezza did a good thing.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
B.B.
Old 02/13/2007, 12:18 AM
Pufferkrazy!

You can have em! Why in the world would you want them? My colony will take a really long time to look like that again... Polyps still closed up tight. I would love to find out where they come from. That colony was perfectly healthy when I got them & non of my others have it.
Old 02/13/2007, 11:06 AM
saru mo ki kara ochiru

I'm sorry, you're right. This pox does suck, I've had it before.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
B.B.
Old 02/13/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

From what your pics are showing, there already signs of improvement. Remember to give it a week of rest...thats very important, you do not want to stress them out too much. 3 treatments then 1 week of rest. Then continue another treatment with lesser dose of Furan
Old 02/13/2007, 03:15 PM
Pufferkrazy!

I looked at them today & some of them had a white film over them, so I brushed that off (really smelled bad again). Only a few left now that look like they may make it. No signs of opening. I see no signs of the pox on them. Do I still need to treat again in a week?
Old 02/13/2007, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

if there is no sign of pox, then let them rest for 1 week, keep a close eye on them

if the pox reappear then do another treatment...if not then stop the treatment, and just let them rest.
Old 03/15/2007, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

FUran 2 saved 2 of my colonies!
worked well! if not a little tooo well. =)
Old 03/17/2007, 05:06 PM
Premium Member

Hi.

First of all, my tank had started showing signs of zoa pox in late fall of 06. Wife was pregnant and things got complicated so I more or less just let the pox thing run its course.

As of last week, most zoa were either occasionally sick or had simply stopped growing at their normal rates, while a few morphs were completely unaffected. I finished week one of Furan-2 treatment 3 days ago and am waiting to do a second treatment. Things seem slightly better, but I expect this will take a few tries.

Two questions though.

How is everyone setting the pH in RODI water to match the pH of their tank? pH probes are crazy inaccurate in water without minerals. And my old freshwater test kit only reads up to about 7.8.

Also, why do this procedure in freshwater at all? I'm not a biologist, but Furan-2 by itself shouldn't be particularly harmful to anything non-fungal, but the freshwater dip really seems to stress the animals. I'm not suggesting dosing the whole tank, simply using tank water to do the dip, then replacing it with newly mixed salt water.

Tony
Old 04/02/2007, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

The above questions are good ones, I would like to hear answers to them also. I have another regarding the dosage of Furan. I have read through the article and it is not clear to me. Is the dosage 1 capsule per cup of RO water or 1 capsule per gallon?

I greatly appreciate an answer. Just got some spots appearing a couple of days ago.

Dave
Old 04/08/2007, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

Dave,

According to the Furan's instruction , its 1 capsule per 10 gal of RO water.

But i have been treating my zoas with 1 capsule per cup of RO ...it should be fine also.
Old 04/11/2007, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

I have had these white spots on my zoas for about 2 weeks now. They kept multiplying more and more. I honestly did not think anything of it until they started to never open up. Have I gone to long to try and save them? I just read this post today and moved all the infected ones to my QT tank. Allthough mine have TONS of these tiny white spots on the outside of the zoas. I have coral dip and will try that also i read here that you can leave them sittingout in dry air for a few hours. My questions are how long can i safely dip these in the coral dip and how long can i safely leave them out in dry air and they still survive? Maybe its been too long and ive let them go and they are just goners but i hope not. Can these white spots be on anything else in my tank like inverts and such to where it keeps reinfecting them? And on one rock i have some green stars with the infected zoas...What should i do with this lot? Will the green stars live through the drying in air? I am in need of some help here as i have just ordered alot of new zoas and cant put them in my QT tank since the ones that i have that are infected are in it ATM..and i dont want to infect my new ones. Also is it possible for a flame angel to ONLY nip at zoas and no other corals or could it possibly be large pods eating the skirts of my zoas...thats another problem i have seen in the past day is a few skirts on the zoas being eaten
thanks for anyones help.
Nika

Edit: I just realized i do not have coral dip, it is a fish dip called Hydroplex...It contains caprylic/capric triglyceride, imidazolidinyl urea, methylparben, octyl dodecanol, polysorbate-20, polyvinal pyrolidone, potassium phosphate, potassium sorbate and propy lparaben. It says do not use on cephalopods or amphibians. Would this work for zoas or am i just being stupid here?

Last edited by Smork81; 04/11/2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04/18/2007, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Using coral dip will just stress out the zoas even more. I would suggest you to get some Furan 2 and dip the zoas with that...Follow the instruction on this website and you should be fine.

These white spots as far as i know will not infect inverts.

If your angel is eating the zoas, why dont you move it to another tank, or sell it.
Old 04/18/2007, 11:06 PM
saru mo ki kara ochiru

Thanks to Altezza for this article.

Here is everything you'll ever need to know about the pox and how to treat it.
http://www.zoaid.com/articles004.php

B.B.
Old 04/27/2007, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

I just wanted to mention, I had some stuff come to me infected with the pox, and when I went to the stores I couldn't find furan-2 anywhere. I ended up using Jungle brand "fungus clear" (contains nitrofurazone and furazolidone just like the furan-2) and it worked quite well and after 4 treatments has almost completely eradicated the pox on these colonies. Just wanted to let you guys know that that product can substitute for furan-2 if you cannot find it.
Old 04/30/2007, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

ah i see...thanks alot for that.

you can usually buy it from online pet store such as http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...ran2100tablets
www.petsolutions.com or www.thatpetplace.com
Old 04/30/2007, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

going to ask this again..

I know that it is used in FW and SW because it is a treatment for fish. Now sense it is used for zoas not a fish, can it be as affective in saltwater as FW? If so, then we should be dipping it in SW for the treatment of pox because it would be less stressful to a already stressed out zoa. Or is the FW a added help for the pox itself, and not the added help to make the medicine work?
Old 05/01/2007, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

I did an experiment couple months ago regarding to your question, and yes if you mix Furan in saltwater the treatment will work as well, BUT not as fast as freshwater. So you are correct about fresh water is a major contribution of getting the zoa healed.
Old 05/01/2007, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

thanks altezza
Old 05/07/2007, 03:17 AM
Moved On

Hey guys,

I have had and currently have these buggers on some of my polyps.
Any more its an unavoidable thing when buying polyps retail or wholesale these days.
IT SUCKS.
I am now dealing with fungus to boot !
I saved a bunch of frags and moved them to a seperate system though so I have somthing to rebuild with if the worst happends from the fungus.

Here is what gets rid of the pox for me every time..
Dip them in tank water and iodine and pop the little white dots in the dip.
Zit like crap will come out.
Get them all swish them around put them back in the tank and your done.

NOW if there were only a universal cure for the fungus I would be all set !!
Old 05/07/2007, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

it seems that everyone with mean greens or the green cat eye zoos have this problem... i think i'm having the same probelm

i dont really see the white spots, but a lot of my colonies are closing up... i thought it was the low flow, but they still dont open...

can i just add furan to the tank, 3 doses, then rest 1 week and repeat?
I cant take the corals out, so i'm thinking adding it direct to the tank water...
Old 05/11/2007, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

i dont know about adding furan into your main tank...i dont know hows that going to affect your other corals and fishies...i wouldnt want to risk it.