Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/12/2007, 11:07 PM
espyesitis sufferer

I didn't think you'd go and change the subject, DaddyJax.

I wasn't arguing about how corals utilize certain spectrums. I was arguing how Reeflux 10K users can post (I assume with a straight face) that their corals are really this blue, when in fact, they aren't.

I guess perhaps the pictures and charts weren't enough for you.
Old 02/12/2007, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

Change subjects? You are saying that your bulb is the only bulb that shows the real colors and then show me charts with color spectrums for both and say that the RF is trickery. Pfft, whats next, you going to attack anyone who uses actinics?
I guess pictures and charts along with one of leaders in the hobby wasn't enough for you!

I don't think that you are this way but it seems that you get mad and bent out of shape and feel that you have to attack anyone who post better looking corals than you just because they are using a bulb you didn't like or have success with.

Like I said before, corals are going to look differenet under different lights. The proof to me is when you take a coral that has grown under a certain light and place in a tank and it outshines and is vastly more vibrant and rich in color than the others in the tank.
Old 02/12/2007, 11:36 PM
Tailspot Blenny

i don't think either of you are on the same page =(

i don't think anyone's attacking anyone else daddyjax, it's actually quite an educating discussion. why start taking it as an attack?
Old 02/12/2007, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

This is not the only thread he has accused someone of "misrepresenting" their corals just because they run RF 10k bulbs.
Old 02/12/2007, 11:54 PM
espyesitis sufferer

Please don't put words in my mouth, DaddyJax. I never said my bulb was the only one that reflects the truest colors. I also would never say my colors are better than anyone's in particular.

I simply presented an argument with actual facts and proof pertaining to how two bulbs work. Nothing more, nothing less. I was only hoping to receive a good argument in return. I'm not against being proven wrong.

If there's a way that anyone can argue why the blue under Reeflux 10k's is a true representation, I'd love to hear it.

I'm really sorry that you reacted this way
Old 02/13/2007, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

This was a really cool and informative thread for me. I feel like it was a debate more than any type of argument. This has come up before and I felt as thiugh some of my bulb questions were REALLY being answered. I don't believe anyone was getting personal. I would love to see this discussion continue in a non confrontational format. Just my couple of pennies
Old 02/13/2007, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

It just got old.

It seemed like every time someone would post a pic and say that they were running RF 10k bulbs you would pop up.
Little comments like(I assume with a straight face) and such brings a childish nature to the argument.

As far as the discussion is concerned, the blue is as much a true representation as it is with any bulb. What you see and like is true. You said yourself that the 14k is true enough for you. I pointed out that someone who uses a 6,500k could say that you are misrepresenting your coral.

I pulled the Tyree page out because he states that the corals prefer the spectrum that RF 10k gives and this goes to argue that the corals are responding by being that much more vibrant.

You have also argued that the blue pops because of the pink contrast, I dont have any pink. Neither does alot of people who use these bulbs.

I would love to continue this discussion and leave any feelings of frustration behind.
Old 02/13/2007, 12:15 AM
Tailspot Blenny

Isn't "true" color relative? I mean, what does it really mean? What it looks like in the wild?

I'm all for how it looks like in MY tank =) I think from what I gathered form the discussion, Karl is basically saying that if you put a coral into your own tank that may not have RF 10K, you probably won't see the blue you're seeing in a picture taken with a RF 10K lamp.

Isn't that all he said? And then he showed a chart of why that might be true?

Sometimes we see so many amazing corals in pictures, but are dissapointed when we get home. I think he's just putting in a word of caution that it may look different because of the bulb, and that it may look less blue in a non RF lit tank.

Now it makes me want to go try RF bulbs
Old 02/13/2007, 12:18 AM
espyesitis sufferer

People will just be more keen to it, DaddyJax. It's not like I'm the cop that yelled 'the jig is up'. Lots of people already had this inkling about the Reeflux 10k.

You're not the first, and you certainly won't be the last to sing its praises. More and more people just know better, now, than they did a year ago. Myself included.
Old 02/13/2007, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

It's cool, not everyone can run these bulbs and get the same results. I can understand why you would want to inform everyone of your poor experience with them. It is unfortunate that you could not get the proper color like most others have or you might have been one of the many singing the praises instead.
Old 02/13/2007, 12:42 AM
espyesitis sufferer

When I briefly ran the reeflux, the blue was out of this world, but you know I didn't feel right having it look like that.

You also mentioned that the pink was cause of my HQI ballast, and that it's less apparent with an e-ballast. It also seems to be unnoticeable with actinics (which I never run).

I do seem to be a rare breed in this era of reefkeeping. A vast majority run very, very blue lighting. True color is no longer a desirable trait.

When Kinetic asked, "Isn't "true" color relative?", I thought immediately of the CRI chart. 5000k-6500k is universally known to represent true color with a 100 CRI rating. The Ushio 10k boasts a CRI rating of 90. If their 10k bulb had the PPFD of their 14k, I'd probably run that one, but the 14k blows it out of the water. The Ushio 14k rates at 70 CRI.

I may try the XM 10k after seeing dvmsn's tank.
Old 02/13/2007, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

I ran the XM 10k just before switching to RF and it was a good bulb that gave some nice color but it gave a yellow tint to the overall tank that I could not take. I used it for 9 months with XM 20k as suplements.

There is one thing we can agree on, its the blue lighting. I am not a bigfan of running 20k bulbs only. I like the look of the AC14k because how crisp it was and the RF10k for the same reason.

I looked on Sanjay's sight for the CRI chart, did I miss it or is it somewhere else?
Old 02/13/2007, 12:59 AM
espyesitis sufferer

Hey, we agree on something

CRI is the Color Rendering Index. Probably just need to Google it or something. Supposedly, a higher CRI means a more accurate perception of color.

I'm not implying that people should want their tanks to look like pee, but it doesn't have to look like a neon sign, either.
Old 02/13/2007, 01:05 AM

I've been meaning to do this just for kicks...

Here's my ORA blue mille on my kitchen table... amazing coloration brought to you by Coralvue Reeflux 10k's

...not affected by the reeflux, or distorted/misrepresented in the tank by reeflux... remember this is 3 40w GE soft whites over my table

Old 02/13/2007, 01:07 AM
espyesitis sufferer

Now, that's a very real blue
Old 02/13/2007, 01:12 AM
Registered Member

That is what I am talking about!
Old 02/13/2007, 01:16 AM
espyesitis sufferer

PUG - since you went through all that trouble, could you post a pic of it under your reeflux 10k, and another pic under another bulb, maybe?

I never said that reeflux can't make corals blue. Just that the appearance is distinctly different.
Old 02/13/2007, 01:25 AM
Moved On

that is out right crazy in color palmer
Old 02/13/2007, 01:38 AM

To be entirely fair and balanced, I will concede something in the Reeflux spectrum does cause blues to "pop" a little more than most other bulbs... personally I like it who doesn't want more color? But the effect is significantly less than you [and a few others] want to give it credit for

As for a comparison... what lamp could I possibly use that would make that coral look worse than my kitchen lights
Old 02/13/2007, 01:44 AM
Tailspot Blenny

holy macaroni. i think the camera's white balance is dead on looking at the tablecloth etc.

BTW guys, I'm getting an item for my camera called an Expodisc. It is basically THE most accurate white balancing tool for a camera. Using it to preset the white balance would return images exactly the way they should look with a correct white balance. Read: "It should". I will be doing tests with it soon =)

I may have very few or not any at all rare corals, but I do have some good camera stuff =)
Old 02/13/2007, 01:45 AM
Tailspot Blenny

oh, here's a link to what the expodisc is:
http://www.expodisc.com/index.php
Old 02/13/2007, 01:46 AM
HELP SLOW

Quote:
Originally posted by PUGroyale
I've been meaning to do this just for kicks...

Here's my ORA blue mille on my kitchen table... amazing coloration brought to you by Coralvue Reeflux 10k's

...not affected by the reeflux, or distorted/misrepresented in the tank by reeflux... remember this is 3 40w GE soft whites over my table

I love it. That pic says it all.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
Old 02/13/2007, 01:46 AM
Resident physicist.

Where did you get those spectral plots from Karl? Looking at Sanjay's site, there are quite a few bulbs that give a much brighter 450nm peak than the Reeflux10k, even that Aquaconnect, perhaps there was an error in the data *shrug*.

Eitherway the Reeflux does have a higher peak at 450nm than most all 10000k bulbs.
Old 02/13/2007, 02:05 AM
Makin it Rain

Here is a pic of the frag i got on sat my tank has 6 overdriven T5's
Old 02/13/2007, 03:26 AM
espyesitis sufferer

Had to take a mental break from RC, and watched a film called Perth.

Quote:
Originally posted by PUGroyale
To be entirely fair and balanced, I will concede something in the Reeflux spectrum does cause blues to "pop" a little more than most other bulbs... personally I like it who doesn't want more color? But the effect is significantly less than you [and a few others] want to give it credit for

As for a comparison... what lamp could I possibly use that would make that coral look worse than my kitchen lights
Just a little pop, PUG That ORA milli looks great. I really need to start getting more ORA coral. All I have is one of their clams.

Thanks for chiming in. And thank you, too, DaddyJax. This was fun.