Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/24/2007, 09:05 PM
How many is too many?

AHhh yours had it on the right adrenal gland. Average age is around 8 years and after speaking to Liana Mocha is more like 7 years old.
Old 01/25/2007, 09:17 AM
LIRA's Member

congrats welcome back and all that stuff
Old 01/25/2007, 11:19 AM
LIRA's Posting Princess<3

thanks K :P

Puckbs (5:33:44 PM): clownfish would have trouble staying still in an icecube
Old 01/25/2007, 08:37 PM
How many is too many?

Hey look K lives!
Old 02/09/2007, 01:39 PM

okay. back to being serious. somebody honestly catch me up on the events of the past couple of weeks?

Old 02/09/2007, 01:44 PM
Paracentropyge Boyeli

More like a couple of months
Old 02/09/2007, 03:48 PM
LIRA's Member

The new Lira is alive and well by the look of it, all of us old timers no longer care what happens lol.
Old 02/10/2007, 01:15 PM

define..."the new lira"

Old 02/12/2007, 11:00 AM
LIRA's Member

the new lira = lira without all the people that made lira interesting and fun.You know all the ones that started it.
Old 02/12/2007, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

The word that diverrad is looking for is dynamic, ever changing.

Liana, LIRA held its elections in Nov. and 4 new board members were elected. I won the position of Public Relations and for the past 3 months have been working hard on mending fences, reflecting the members wants/needs with the boards do/don'ts.

For the past 2 months, I have been contacting companies for donations/booths for the next NERAC.

At Jan's mtg, I presented my fish tank build and how just about everything was puchased used and on a budget along with things that went wrong/mistakes.

We are avg. 5 new people per meeting. A few members have lost their tanks while some old members are regaining their interest.

This month Dave is going to discuss reeftoys that he is using.

Stop by and say hi. We miss you.
Old 02/12/2007, 12:58 PM
LIRA's Member

hey man dont say what i mean,, ok.
even though you where part of the old lira you really dont count ,,

Last edited by diverrad; 02/12/2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02/12/2007, 03:17 PM
How many is too many?

LOL Well atleast the new members of the board are trying. It would take alot to regain all the older members back. Im sure things are much more peaceful now at meetings.
Old 02/12/2007, 03:34 PM
LIRA's Member

to tell you the truth Chris i really dont think you will ever get them back ,, we're all quite happy on manhattanreefs
Old 02/12/2007, 05:10 PM
RC Sponsor

As an old timer, original member, and Vice President;I have to say that all is well here at the L.I.R.A. New members each month who bring an eagerness to share there experiences and a true love of the hobby. I would like to see more of the older members who are currently on Hiatus, at our meetings. I consider them all friends. I am glad that all is well on Manhattan Reefs, collectively they are an awesome group, in which I have had the pleasure to meet many in person.
The new board has spent much of our own time to make this all work. We have had some set backs with the hall size for our meetings and we are looking for bigger venues to hold our future meetings. We want ideas for future events and constructive advice from every member, because each member does count.
So if it has been some time since you have been to a meeting, the next meeting is this Saturday at Dowling. March's meeting will be the NERAC Convention March 10 & 11th.

Tony
Old 02/12/2007, 05:11 PM
Fish Geek

lol....
Old 02/12/2007, 05:19 PM
LIRA's Member

Dam the PR machine is ROLLING. wonder when Joe is gonna post?
Old 02/12/2007, 08:34 PM
How many is too many?

K its the new members of the board making the effort. Not the old members. LIRA will always be there and there will always be new members joining.
There really PRing NERAC and i wonder if LIRA has the normal lack of club participation that it has had the previous 2 years. There were plenty of volunteers but not many paying club members to attend.
Old 02/12/2007, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

Its not the lack of attendance, we are just getting the word out. As the PR Officer, I am making a concerted effort in informing everyone of what is going on. We as a club lacked that. This is what I was running for and now instilling. The thread with Lianna and being back, took a wrong turn and I hope that it will close. I responded to her post and now others feel that its a venue for a personal attacks.
Old 02/12/2007, 09:12 PM
How many is too many?

Theres no attacks here. If anything i complimented the new members of the board. Its nothing you started Eric. You should know we always hijack threads
As for the fence mending i havent seen anything publicly or privately said to me or any other hiatus members as far as i know.
Old 02/12/2007, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cb747
K its the new members of the board making the effort. Not the old members. LIRA will always be there and there will always be new members joining.
There really PRing NERAC and i wonder if LIRA has the normal lack of club participation that it has had the previous 2 years. There were plenty of volunteers but not many paying club members to attend.
NERAC I and II have been a success in every avenue, both personally and professionally for those that attend, and a successful fund raiser for the club, with last year CLEARING just under $6,000.
If PR'ing the conference is advertising, then yes the entire BOD is actively pursuing advertising the conference (with the help of the LIRA members), just like any other conference out there.

For those of you not familiar with NERAC, there is some info on the LIRA website:

http://www.lireef.org
http://neracli.com/index.htm

As well as the following:

The original Dutch article:
http://www.marineaquarium.nl/april-2006.php

Translated articles:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume...hman_in_NY.htm

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume...t_atlantis.htm

Joe
Old 02/12/2007, 09:38 PM
10 & Over Club

There's a good reason for all the PR. A number of us were rather vocal about expressing our thoughts that a PR officer would be a good thing to have. Now we not only have one, but we have one that is doing a fantastic job at it Can't complain about getting what we asked for

There's still quite a few of us old timers and original members around, and yes there are few of you that don't come around any more...and we do miss you guys. However, as with all things, change happens. I miss the old days of just a dozen or so of us sitting around and BS'ing about reefs, but we've had too many new members for that to work. Not necesarily bad, just different, and it requires change. Heck, I remember when RC was just a few hundred members and didn't need a dedicated server, now it's over 140,000 members and runs on several dedicated machines. Change. Some of those original RC members, and indeed even the original founders, are no longer here and are missed by those of us that remember them. But even with those that have left for one reason or another, there are many of us still here that have endured with the changes that growth has brought us. Same as with the club.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 02/12/2007, 09:44 PM
How many is too many?

I didnt say they werent succesful. I was standing right next to you the first year when shorly after we opened you said never again. By the end of the conference you had obviously changed your mind. I have enjoyed the last 2 NERACs. I just wondered about club participation for paid admissions. You yourself said you were disapointed that there werent more LIRA members attending.
I also didnt mean the advertising was a bad thing. It was something that lacked the last 2 years and last year you had someone practically begging you to do it. Its a definite improvement.
Old 02/12/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Well said by both billsreef and you too cb747.
Old 02/12/2007, 10:26 PM
LIRA's Member

wow $6,000 damn wonder where that went? oops id did it again ,, shouldn't have asked a question about $$ ,, but I am sure a convoluted answer will come soon to explaining nothing away.
just kidding joe I'm sure you used it in a very good way ,, all for the club and all.
FYI it was actually the board who hijacked this thread ,, what's the matter you guys afraid of people expressing their opinions again? kind of funny actually how all of you just jumped on here
oh and piro in case you missed it I don't really care for you that much ,, it's not a personal attack, just how I feel ,, it's called an opinion so dont hide behind terms like "attack" there was none, but it does re affirm my original idea about you.
Old 02/12/2007, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cb747
I didnt say they werent succesful. I was standing right next to you the first year when shorly after we opened you said never again. By the end of the conference you had obviously changed your mind.
Hey Chris,
Yup, that was my feeling early that Saturday a.m., with the all anxiety and pressure we all felt of trying to pull this off for the first time, getting the vendors set, their tanks filled, etc (plus figure in all the normal family life stuff has to throw at you) I vowed never again. But by later that day, when it all came together, and I saw how well it was going, how much the attendees were enjoying themselves, I could then enjoy it as well and looked forward to the next one. I felt the same way, although not as bad at the beginning of NERAC II as well, but that too soon faded.

I now look forward to NERAC III, and with 2 years behind us and the greater support of everyone now involved I'm hoping by 9am on Saturday I'll be feeling good about NERAC IV

Oh yeah and congrats to Liana who is UConn bound!
Joe