Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/07/2007, 01:10 AM
Registered Member

54 corner or 92 corner

I've been looking at getting a tank for awhile, but the only type I can fit in my appt is a corner tank. I'm going to get one of the All-Glass corner tanks with an overflow: http://www.all-glass.com/products/aquariums/index.html

I think the 54 would fit better in my place, but I know bigger is better. Does anyone have any experience with these tanks? I'm wondering if the 92 would be too big / tall, or if the 54 is too small to put a sump in the stand?
Old 02/07/2007, 01:19 AM
FOWLR

How much space do you have?

If you can fit the 92 that's my vote.
Old 02/07/2007, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

I agree 92 is the way to go if it will fit, Im thinking it will if your considering it,lol. Bigger the better
Old 02/07/2007, 10:07 AM
Delaware Reef Club

I have the 92.

How long are your arms?

I need to stand on a milk crate to reach the bottom of my tank, and then I'm armpit deep. Forget about aquascaping the back corner.

If anything dies back there it is staying back there until the hermits get to it.

Also be warned that with a bowfront tank it is incredibly difficult to take pictures of your tank - close-ups anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I love my tank - I just can't reach most of it.

Old 02/07/2007, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

I have a 92 corner bow. I love it. I found a great aquascaping design. I have it aquascaped in the back corner with a large flat stone that comes out into the center, and aquascaped down the sides in a V. it leaves tons of room in the center for all the clams. The tank has a small overall footprint, but still provides tons of space inside. I have a 30 gallon sump under mine.
Old 02/07/2007, 12:11 PM
Reef Ready

Definitely the 92gal. I don't think that it'll feel mich bigger due to the shape, but the extra space is worth it if you've got the space. I don't know what the height is, but the only time I need a chair is what I want to get to the back of the tank by the overflow. Also, the 92gal offers a little more room in the stand. I can fit a 20gal high in there (to give you an idea).
Old 02/07/2007, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses. I think I know which way I want to go (92), but if anyone has any experience with a 54, let me know.

Pros: Bigger, room for a decent sump, Will fit in my living room
Cons: Cost, harder to work in, my gf thinks it will look too big in our living room

Pros: Cheaper, easier to work with
Cons: Not a lot of room for a decent sump, so far it is hard to find a store that sells it with an overflow (the 92 is usually available with overflow)
Old 02/07/2007, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

I had trouble finding a 92 corner with or without an overflow. The bigger would be the better deal. The sump will be tight in the 54.

Tell her the 54 will look small.
Old 02/07/2007, 03:47 PM
Delaware Reef Club

Didn't the 54's have leaking issues too?
Old 02/07/2007, 06:10 PM
Reef Ready

I've heard of bowfront having problems with leaks, but not something specifically with the 54gal design.

I don't think you've touched on lighting for this tank, but this is one disadvantage of having a corner bow as it's a difficult to light and difficult to build-a-canopy tank.
Old 02/07/2007, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

If you ever plan on having a canopy I suggest buying another stand and cuting it down for a canopy. It works and looks great. I love my 92, but found lighting hard, until I added a canopy. Here is a link to some info for a 92.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1023311
Old 02/07/2007, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

I actually have a 54 which I love. But if I had it to do over again I'd go with a 92. The only thing you have to watch is the extra weight on your floor with the 92.

In my setup I had a 15G sump underneath plus ehiem filter and in sump protein skimmer
Old 02/07/2007, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jpa0741
If you ever plan on having a canopy I suggest buying another stand and cuting it down for a canopy. It works and looks great. I love my 92, but found lighting hard, until I added a canopy. Here is a link to some info for a 92.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1023311
Wow, that canopy is pretty cool, although I'm don't think I could afford to buy another stand yet.

So, I put in my order for the 92 and the store should have it next week. Zigrat, I looked into the weight and from everything I've heard, the 92 shouldn't be a problem.

A question for everyone that has an All-Glass corner tank with the overflow... Did you also purchase the glass top and the overflow (Megaflow) kit (has intake and return pipes)? These are options I have to consider when I pick up my tank. Maybe these questions should be in a new thread, but I'll try it here for now.
Old 02/07/2007, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

Mine came with the overflow kit, but you could make your own if you wanted. The glass top depends on what you want to do. I had glass tops on mine and had 2 pc fixtures sitting on them (24" in 36" in front). They worked good just wanted higher light demanding stuff. If you plan on using mh, then you won't want it.
Old 02/07/2007, 08:41 PM
Premium Member

I don't think you should even consider the overflow kit or the glass top.

A glass top could cause issues lighting and oxidation issues. I suggest going with egg crate. That's what I've got. I had nothing cover the top until a chromi decided to go carpet diving.

You can also easily build your own durso standpipe or buy it online.
I bought my standpipe from this site: http://www.dursostandpipes.com/ . Note, it did not include the return pipe work but that's easy to build yourself.

My LFS wanted $80 for the AGA kit.
Old 02/07/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kingzeus
I don't think you should even consider the overflow kit or the glass top.

A glass top could cause issues lighting and oxidation issues. I suggest going with egg crate. That's what I've got. I had nothing cover the top until a chromi decided to go carpet diving.

You can also easily build your own durso standpipe or buy it online.
I bought my standpipe from this site: http://www.dursostandpipes.com/ . Note, it did not include the return pipe work but that's easy to build yourself.

My LFS wanted $80 for the AGA kit.
As long as you have an open sump glass tops won't cause much of a oxidation issue (mine never did for over a year). It will cut down on some lighting, may or may not be problem depending on what you are keeping. I kept softies and some LPS with pc lighting and glass tops. I just don't like the look of egg crate, and I don't think it would hold my cat up if he jumped up there.
Old 02/07/2007, 08:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jpa0741
I don't think it would hold my cat up if he jumped up there.
You got me there. You're probably right about the oxidation in all but the most heavily stocked tanks. I actually purchased a glass top for when my house was getting painted. The temp in my tank went up several degrees.
Old 02/07/2007, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

Go for the 92. we have a 54 in the store where I work and I think it would be too small to aqua scape properly.
Old 02/08/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, I think I'll build my own standpipe using that website if the store wants too much for the All-Glass Megaflow kit. Also, I have a cat, so I think I'll go with the glass top

I pick up the 92 on Monday! Now that I've decide on my tank , its time to do some research on skimmers, and pumps. Alos, I've got to figure out the sump. I think I might get a L-shaped sump made to maximize the space used in the pie shaped stand. I may be back with more questions...
Old 02/08/2007, 02:29 PM
Reef Ready

Or you could use a 54 gal as your sump. It should fit nicely.