Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/01/2007, 09:56 AM
Premium Member

feeding a show sized emperor

I just purchased a show sized emperor angel [14"-16"] from my LFS
I was alittle concerned about getting the fish to eat.I read and heard somewhere that when fish get that big in the wild it is almost next to impossible to get them to eat. The LFS did feed mysis for me before purchasing and he did eat alittle.The emp went into a 750 gallon tank along with an adult queen and some other large fish. I feed the tank heavy because of the other inhabitants. The emp has been eating but is very picky.He only eats from the sand and rocks almost never from the water column. I just not used to that since the queen eats everything in sight, large chunks of squid,krill,silversides, clams etc.
.Any suggestions.?
Old 02/01/2007, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

Have you tried garlic? That's always worked well for me with picky eaters.
Old 02/01/2007, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

Try more veggie based foods like spirulina, angel formula, and Nori. I have a juvi emporer that eats anything that hits the water but, he really goes nuts over the veggie based stuff. You might also want to try some macroalgae. Also I think the garlic thing is a total myth. My fish seem to eat less when I soak the food in garlic, it's like they don't recognize the smell of it. In any case, keep us updated and let us see some pics!
Old 02/01/2007, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

When I first got my juv. emp. it was very picky, and only ate a few mysis hear or there. It would not eat anything else. I was worried and soaked the mysis in garlic and selecon, over the next month he slowly started to eat more at a time. After about a month it began to pick at nori clipped to the tank. Now, around 2 months he eats mysis and nori, and is starting to pick at krill. I think it is just a long process. Be patient as long as he is eating he will be ok, its when there not eating at all that you sould get worried.
Old 02/01/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

I guess I should count myself lucky, I didn't realize they were such picky eaters. Mine ate great at the store and immediately upon introduction to the tank. Now he eats more than a teenage boy. I feed 2-3X times per day and he picks at the rocks and sand all day as well. Here's my guy, his name is Elvis.

Old 02/01/2007, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

Try some sponge. There is also some red nori sheets that have natural sponge in it. I have a juvi and he eats anything that hits the water too. He is from Christmas Island.
Old 02/01/2007, 10:59 PM
Premium Member

show emperor

I hear what you all are saying. For the most part emps are really good eaters. the only difference is his size when caught. He is net caught from the Cook Islands and is absolutely beatiful. He went into one of my clients tanks [750 gallon] I've been going over every day to feed not leaving it to chance with the client feeding the tank. It does seem like he picks more I was so afraid that with his size that the little he eats he might waste away. It's only been 5 days since I put him in the tank. Thanks for all the good suggestions.BTW I was using garlic [not sure how I feel about it]
Old 02/02/2007, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

edit.......double posted........

Last edited by eljefe3; 02/02/2007 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02/02/2007, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

I had an emperor the same size as you talk about from the Red Sea, and he also barely ate. A couple months later he stopped eating..............

I also got a 10" at the same time and he did and still is eating fine. This was about 1.5 years ago.
Old 02/02/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

I had a 10inch emp die on me It never took any food, never investing that much on a single fish for a long time. Smaller emps do better IMo. juvies are very easy actually.
Old 02/02/2007, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vijaym85
I had a 10inch emp die on me It never took any food, never investing that much on a single fish for a long time. Smaller emps do better IMo. juvies are very easy actually.
This is why you should never buy a fish without watching it eat first. No matter how pretty they look in the store, they won't live if they don't eat.
Old 02/02/2007, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

Try clams, fresh or frozen.....it will get his interest going
Old 02/02/2007, 10:38 PM
Premium Member

I just fed the tank and the emperor was a machine. He slurped down whole siversides and krill. I am so very relieved. This was a very expensive fish and if he died I would have a lot of explaining to do.
Old 02/03/2007, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Long Time Beginner
This is why you should never buy a fish without watching it eat first. No matter how pretty they look in the store, they won't live if they don't eat.
Yeah that was a mistake which I have learned from and now I always check to ensure they eat prior to buying.
Old 02/03/2007, 01:15 AM
Moved On

Even though he went into a 750g, he came from millions and millions more. I do oppose wild cought, especially this size. Puts a lot of stress on the fish in return adding stress to the whole environment. Too bad for the fish. Jailed for his looks. Profiling.
Old 02/03/2007, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

glad to hear it Richard, hope he continues. Keep us updated as you can.
Old 02/03/2007, 01:59 PM
840>420

Quote:
Originally posted by earlnewt
Even though he went into a 750g, he came from millions and millions more. I do oppose wild cought, especially this size. Puts a lot of stress on the fish in return adding stress to the whole environment. Too bad for the fish. Jailed for his looks. Profiling.
If your not into this hobby you shouldnt be here. What kind of post is that? Do you have any fish? If you do maybe you should return them to the ocean.
Old 02/03/2007, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

i had some finicky angels and i feed them collard greens that i bought @ the grocery store,they started eating that quickly then once they started they ate everything soon after that but i still put a leaf or 2 every week in the tank. my triggers mow it down also!
Old 02/03/2007, 02:31 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for coming to my defense I LIKE TRIGGERS
I felt the same way but I guess I'm to unconfrontational.
Mabye he could tell us what kind of fish or corals he keeps and how many died.
Old 02/03/2007, 07:55 PM
Moved On

Hey pot head Trigger boy, read a little further down. All my fish/corals are either rescued from tear downs or tank bread/aquacultures. I also have been in the hobby for nearly 15 years and decided to go this rout so I could have a tank that people/friends can see that they can achieve without takeing from the wild is all. Your life is like a WalMart cliche'
Old 02/03/2007, 08:03 PM
840>420

Quote:
Originally posted by earlnewt
Hey pot head Trigger boy, read a little further down. All my fish/corals are either rescued from tear downs or tank bread/aquacultures. I also have been in the hobby for nearly 15 years and decided to go this rout so I could have a tank that people/friends can see that they can achieve without takeing from the wild is all. Your life is like a WalMart cliche'
ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well maybe you shouldnt verbally attack people on the internet. The guy didnt ask for advice on whether he should keep this fish in the first place.
Old 02/03/2007, 08:13 PM
Moved On

Your right. Sorry I got carried away.
Old 02/04/2007, 12:03 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Quote:
Originally posted by virginiabreeze6
Try clams, fresh or frozen.....it will get his interest going
I second clams. If he continues to only pick at the food he will slowly become malnurished and his immune system will decline. I always offer up small clams on the half shell to get my finicky angels to eat. They will usually come around after a few weeks and start eating other foods with gusto. Live sponge is another good option because that is their main source of food in the wild.
Old 02/05/2007, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

If I may make a few suggestions on trying to get your emporer to eat more, find a LFS that carries Rods Food it has a alot of mixed products in it.
A few months ago I purchased an adult Emperor 5-6 "which was eating well at the store but once introduced to my tank with the others it took a few days for it to come around and start eating solidly again, but is still likes to pick at the smaller pieces.
Its now starting to eat frozen krill and has always liked dried shrimp.( I soak the dried krill in a cup of water for 5 mins before I pour it in the tank. Everyone else has good ideas to soak in garlic, (Don't quote me but I believe I read somewhere on here that it helps as a preventive for ich as well.