Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/28/2007, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

eheim 1262

Hey, has anyone else had this problem? My Eheim 1262 input isn't fitting with the 1' male threaded hose adapter... it's too small! Everything written about the 122 has it with a 1' input but this is very clearly a 3/4' female threaded input (when I grabbed the hose barb from the eheim box it was a 3/4' and it fit perfectly.

Any ideas?
Old 01/28/2007, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

I don't have my 1262 any more, but I do remember that it came with 2 hose barbs -- a 1" and a 3/4", and that I could screw either one onto either end (i.e. the 1" and 3/4" fit on the output, or the input). The threads are actually slightly more than 3/4", so if you want to plumb it up with NPT fittings, use a sched 80 threaded fitting with a bit of teflon tape wrapped around it.
Old 01/28/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Hmmm... not really sure what NPT fittings are, but I'm a little befuddled that the input isn't an inch...
Old 01/28/2007, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

npt

you'll find those fittings in the electrical sec. @ home depot
Old 01/28/2007, 11:26 PM
Premium Member

The threaded end is a bit larger than 3/4 FTP. It is metric.

Old 01/29/2007, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

I don't know about anyone else but my 1262 has a 3/4" threaded connections on both the inlet and the outlet. The internal diameter of the two adapters that are included are different though. The inlet has a 1" hose connection while the discharge has a 3/4' hose connection. Restricting the flow on the discharge increases the pressure, its like putting your finger over the outlet of a garden hose. It builds up pressure to pump up to the 12 or so feet these pumps are rated for. The hose sizes fit the "outside" diameter of the pump adapters so the 1" hose fits onto an 11/16" internal diameter connection and the 3/4" hose fits onto a 9/16 I.D. connection...just remember they refer to hose sizes not pipe sizes.
Oh, NPT means National Pipe Thread...its a tapered thread that's standard no matter what schedule piping being used. Electrical piping is not always NPT, most of their threads are not tapered 'cause electricity doesn't leak out through threaded connections and they don't have to be as tight as process piping connections.

These are from an unused 1262 that I just took out of its box. The threaded inlets to the pump are in the bottom pic and are identical..the upper pic shows the hose connection side of each adapter. Great for a sump pump but I would use two of the inlets adapters for a closed loop where lots of flow without lots of pressure is desired.

Just my take on this pump.....

Oh and if you take notice, Eheim uses o-rings to make the connections watertight. They are plainly visible in the lower pic. It might explain why other users are having probs when they adapt different fittings to either end. Eheim is not relying on the threads to make the seal.
Old 01/29/2007, 12:21 AM
Premium Member

askolded,

Want to sell that pump?

Old 01/29/2007, 08:09 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IanInDC
Hmmm... not really sure what NPT fittings are, but I'm a little befuddled that the input isn't an inch...
The threads are 3/4" (slightly bigger than that) - but the barb is 1". There should be a 1" and a 3/4" barb for fitting a hose. See the pics that askolded posted.