Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/18/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Red Sea AquaZone Deluxe 100 mg/hr ozonizer

Has anyone ever used this product? If so, what are your comments/experiences with it? How do you connect it to the tank? I thought it was connected through the skimmer. If so, will this product work on my Coralife Super Skimmer (I have the largest model)? Thanks in advance for th info.

Kevin
Old 01/18/2007, 03:01 PM
Premium Member

I used one a while back, it worked well at water clarity. I used mine on a 175 gallon bowfront, but when we downsized to the 90 gallon I got rid of it... to be honest I have thought about getting another one lately...I had mine connected to the ASM G3 skimmer...I have never had a Coralife Super Skimmer so I couldn't help you there...HTH
Old 01/18/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

First thing, yes it will work. Go to the ESU website for the PDF instruction manual. Page 6 has directions on how to hook up your CSS. CSS PDF Manual
Second. The Red Sea AquaZone Ozonizers are very good products. FYI the model you chose will handle up to 500g and the model 50 handles up to 250g. I do not recommend running any ozone device without a controller. A lot of people chose not to use a controller, but in my opinion, for ozone to be affective as a “purifier”, wouldn’t you want it running at optimal capacity. Without a controller you have to error on the side of caution, meaning less than optimal performance. A good comparison would be running a skimmer without the appropriate size pump. For your safety and the tank inhabitants, buy a controller. Also, ALL water returning from, in your case, a skimmer needs to be rinsed through carbon to remove any excess ozone.
Old 01/18/2007, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

I have this model:
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...roduct=ES33004

Did it help a lot with water clarity? That is what I am trying to acheive now. Does it get rid of the little floating particles that are normally found in the tank? Also, where did you hook the ozone up to on the skimmer? Do you have an old pic of that, or maybe someone has a pic of an ozone connected a skimmer?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 01/18/2007, 04:00 PM
Premium Member

I tee'd mine off the hose leading to the needle wheel...I am sorry I can't tell from that picture if that skimmer has a needle wheel or not...also that particular model that you quoted is a ozonzer and a controller in one...
Old 01/18/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

Thanks lvreefer. You posted while I was writing, so I didn't see it until I posted again. The Deluxe model from Red Sea comes with the ORP probe and controller and 250cc air stone dryer. I figured I would get the 100mg because it is only $10 more, and you know in this hobby how often upgrades happen.
Old 01/20/2007, 12:58 PM
Master of my domain

I just installed one less than a month ago. I got the deluxe model. easy to set up, one suggestion is to buy several of the air dryers, mine (500grams) was used up in 3 weeks, just pop it in the oven and let it dry out... other than that, there is a huge difference in the water clarity, and the skimmate the skimmer produces.
Old 01/20/2007, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

What size did you install? So I should buy several of the 250CC air driers? You say 500grams? I think it should be in cc's maybe. Anyway, does the controller automatically dose ozone when the level falls below a certain level? Was it pretty much a plug and play install? It looks pretty simple to me.
Thanks for the info!
Kevin
Old 01/20/2007, 05:02 PM
Master of my domain

I have the 100 mg/hr model, and I bought 2 extra 500 gram airdryers. they do a really good job drying the air, however that being said, they need to be replaced/recharged alot.

it is a plug and play install. easy as cooking hotdogs. the deluxe model has settings on it that you control so once the orp reachs a predetermined level it kicks on, and off.

I cant beleive I went 3 years wit out this device.
Old 01/21/2007, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

That's what I wanted to hear! "I cant beleive I went 3 years wit out this device", I just said this when I recently bought a plasma TV and hooked up HDTV. WOW, what a difference. Here's a pic of it: http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showp...p?photo=199632
Side be side is just great! I still do watch the tank more than the tv though.

Thanks for the information! I am going to order the 100mg now.

Kevin
Old 01/23/2007, 06:18 AM
Master Blaster

I plan on picking up one today, if they have any in stock. My question is this---Is the ozonizer a sort of pump? The reason I ask is that for my CSS220 the directions say to unplug the air intake and plug the air hose from the ozinizer in its place. Will it be able to suck the air it needs if the ozinizer is off? Would it be acceptable to put a tee inline w/ the air intake or would the ozone escape out of the wrong end when it kicks on? I've never even seen one hooked up before so I truly don't know much about them.
Old 01/24/2007, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

wondering same thing

Thats a good question Joshua...I am wondering the same thing.....
with the Tee how does ozone not escape?? I think it does
not escape because it is being sucked past the tee by the
skimmer pump..but..what if the pump was off for some reason and the unit kept pumping ozone etc? This does not sound
safe to me...but I am *sure* there is something I am not understanding about it...

Anyone that could post pics on this subject and install
etc...I am sure others would benefit and appreciate,

Thanks
Tim

Old 01/24/2007, 11:19 PM
Premium Member

When I was considering a set up like this, I looked in to 'air line check valves'. Apparently they allow air to flow only in one direction. So I think the most logical set up would be to tee off the venturi airline and have one part of the tee going to the ozone, and the other part for normal air with a check valve on the end. That way you would ensure that the ozone could never travel out of the 'clean air' side of the tee. Also, when the ozone was off, the skimmer would still pull in clean air.

I've also read that you should put a bag of carbon on top of the air hole in the skimmers collection cup. This makes the ozone go through the carbon before it is released in to the air in your living room (or fish room).

-P
Old 01/24/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

carbon better work

Yes, I have heard about carbon with the exhaust air from
the skimmer collection cup...

My concern is, "the carbon better work"

Howww will we know that is pulling out 100% of the ozone
that is trying to escape????

That is the only concern I have at this point....

Not a heck of alot of information on actual proper
install and results on these things.....

Anyone that can post pics of their ozonizer set up from
start to finish would likely help many on this post...
just an idea...hope you dont mind...

Thanks
Tim

Old 01/25/2007, 05:29 AM
Master Blaster

As far as the free ozone goes, I really don't think you have too much to worry about. I set mine up and you do get an ozone smell from time to time, especially under the cabinet. If you ever noticed the smell of the air right before a thunder storm than you know what it smells like. I have heard that in large doses the ozone will give you headaches. I plan to diy something up to filter air leaving my collection cup, I'm just not sure exactly what I will do yet. I'll get back to you when I figure it out completly.
Old 01/26/2007, 06:52 AM
Master Blaster

I feel I must correct my last post. I have been doing alot of reading on the subject and asking around. Turns out it is absolutely necessary to run the return from your skimmer through carbon. Not really to trap ozone particles, seeing as how they last only a few seconds in seawater, but to catch the molecules they have changed in the reaction. I will be converting my bubble trap today.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php
Jonanthan posted this earlier and it helped a great deal.