Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/23/2007, 03:39 PM
"Old Yeller"

RC = Members: 145,836 = an equal number of ideas of what manners and socially polite behavior is...

If I ask "Should I hit my kid twice or 3 times for cussing" what should be acceptable as an answer and one that is "Polite" ?
Old 01/23/2007, 03:50 PM
Delaware Reef Club

Twice for cussing - three times for hitting - making sure to say "We - Don't - Hit" with each spank.
Old 01/23/2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Randall_James
RC = Members: 145,836 = an equal number of ideas of what manners and socially polite behavior is...

If I ask "Should I hit my kid twice or 3 times for cussing" what should be acceptable as an answer and one that is "Polite" ?

Most people would not condone hitting a child at all for cussing. Have you looked into other solutions for the problem? If it is an ongoing battle I would suggest regular discipline as opposed to punishment. If it is just a once-in-awhile thing perhaps he is just reacting to an extreme situation and you could give a disapproving look, knowing that he is basically a good kid and that this is out of the norm.

There, doesn't that suffice as both usefull and polite? See it can be done!
Old 01/23/2007, 03:53 PM
Member of the Month

Umm how about we stick to the subject. We can go to other sites to discuss things like hitting kids??????? I understand it was a joke, but seriously people, come on.
Old 01/23/2007, 03:55 PM
Robotic Overlord

I dont know if this has been said or not as I got tired of reading all the tang replies

Your SG is too low at 1.020, try bumping it up over the next few days to around 1.025-1.026.
Old 01/23/2007, 04:12 PM
Premium Member

I have a small blue tang in my 55g and have for a year. He is as happy as can be and will remain in it until he started to display the symptoms the tang police talk about (aggression, stress, etc.)

I agree re: the salinity being too low.
Old 01/23/2007, 04:31 PM
Reefer

im not the tang police either but I do assume she will get some dieoff from switching lights if it was an established tank this would be a different story, I would wait a few weeks before having any fish
Old 01/23/2007, 04:35 PM
Premium Member

I agree. There is a definate possibility that her tank will go through a cycle. Maybe aragalive and stability would help speed up the bacteria buildup.
Old 01/23/2007, 04:37 PM
Robotic Overlord

Aragalive probably would, I dont trust or believe in anything in a bottle though
Old 01/23/2007, 04:39 PM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

Quote:
Originally posted by dwculp

Your SG is too low at 1.020, try bumping it up over the next few days to around 1.025-1.026.
Not for a FO tank
Old 01/23/2007, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

Tang Thoughts

First of all...ALL OF OUR TANKS ARE TECHNICALLY TOO SMALL FOR TANGS...SO NO ONE HAS ROOM TO JUDGE!!!

Secondly...I noticed no one even asked how large your tang actually was...typical of us sometimes...you mentioned 3.5 inches...I think he'll be alright for a little while...and doubt he'll get to be 10 inches in your tank. You will need to probably sell him or something a bit later...not a big deal to me.

Thirdly...Animal cruelty can come in many forms...not just having a small tank...which by the way...we all do. How bout we all pay a little more attention to nutritional needs and water quality when talking about tanks...those are just as important.

In Conclusion:

Don't be let down by the Tang police...they are mistreating their tangs too simply by putting them in a rectangular glass box......your tang should be ok for a while...but I would get him a more appropriate home when he gets bigger.....and while you do have him...focus on nutrition and water quality (and what else is in tank)
Old 01/23/2007, 04:53 PM
Robotic Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dubbin1
Not for a FO tank

I disagree, I think fish should always be kept at natural salinity levels.
Old 01/23/2007, 04:53 PM
"Old Yeller"

Hmm guess I am in the clear, do not own a tang

I have seen FO tanks run at 1.017 for long periods without any real indicator that it is a problem. I know many stores run at this lower salinity with the idea that it is harder for some parasites to thrive. Not sure how accurate that thinking is but is certainly saves on salt costs
Old 01/23/2007, 04:56 PM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

Quote:
Originally posted by dwculp
I disagree, I think fish should always be kept at natural salinity levels.
Well you have every right to disagree, just like I disagree with your thinking
Old 01/23/2007, 05:27 PM
Rubberman

So a 6' tank is the minimum size for a tang?

SteveU
Old 01/23/2007, 05:31 PM
Robotic Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dubbin1
Well you have every right to disagree, just like I disagree with your thinking
I disagree with your disagreeing with my disagreeing.
Old 01/23/2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

back to the subject at hand...ive had my yellow tang for 7 months now and he's been doing just fine in my 46 bowfront! he hasn't been aggressive or doesn't look stressed but the moment i see any signs of that, then its off to a better home for him. now let me ask a question...would a coral beauty do ok in a 46 bow? reason im asking is cuz ive had my cb in my 46 since july and she's been fine also.
Old 01/23/2007, 07:19 PM
Seahorse Wrangler

I see no reason why not, especially since the other fish are already residing there. Do you have any corals, because most angels are hit or miss?
Old 01/24/2007, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

I would say let the system rest without any changes for a while. Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. If you get better lights or skimmer or anyother upgrade it will depend on what is being added to the tank or what kind of problem you are trying to fix. One fish in a 55 FOWLR is not a very diffcult setup to maintain. Personally I would add an auto-top off system but that is because I am lazy. Watch your nitrates to see if they climb. The current setup does not even mention algae problems. ENJOY the tank.

For your fish selection. Do not use any inch of fish per gal rule. That rule is just to simplistic to be of any use at all. Every fish will have good points and bad points. Some fish require special diets or will eat your other inhabitens. The tang's requirements are lots of swimming space and they need to graze on algae or nori constantly. Compare them to a clown fish which, in the wild, will generally stay within a couple of feet of their host. The inch of fish rule is just useless. Start looking at the different types of gobies (1000s), and blennies as a start. As stuff gets added you become limited as to what can be added later so make the best choice you can and take your time.
Old 01/24/2007, 10:21 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

Quote:
Originally posted by needytang
I do not plan on adding but only 4 other dwarf type fish and of course some kind of a shrimp for this tank. That should follow the inch to fish to water ratio..............I will be adding more live rock in the near future though.
The purple tang, as the first fish in the tank, will more than likely kill any fish you try to add afterwards. They are very aggressive, and only more so in a smaller space. I would trade it in for more peaceful options.

Furthermore, adding live rock = removing free swimming space. Again, not ideal for this fish in a small tank.

Inches of fish to water ratios are pretty much useless in marine tanks, FWIW. So much more depends on aggressiveness of the fish, the niches different fish occupy, and the amount of metabolic waste produced by various fish, among so many other factors.

My opinions here have nothing to do with the happiness or free-range potential of this fish. The fact is a purple tang is an aggressive, active, non-rock hugging, pooping machine. I just think you'll be so much happier with a more appropriate fish in the long run.

HTH

Click my red house to see my tank :-)