Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/22/2007, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

success rate of corals when shipping in the cold?

when its around 20 degrees and you need to ship something like zoos what s the guesstimate success rate of survival? I know to use about 3/4 thick foam and a heat pack. I would think that overnighting it would be a must. But woulde there be any other tricks that would improve your chances? Would damp shipping be better then wet??

GO BEARS!!
Old 01/22/2007, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

I just shipped some shrooms 2 day and they did not make it. That was in a thermos inside and styrofoam cooler with packing and a heat pack.
Old 01/22/2007, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

that was 2 day correct? where did you ship them to? i wonder if they would have made the overnight shipping....so what do all these online stores do?....business doesnt just stop in the winter
Old 01/22/2007, 11:37 PM
Premium Member

Hi all,

I have shipped from LAX to Spain ~ 55 hrs. transit time with 95% success rate a few years back. Fish and corals. The key was amount of water to avoid ammonia buildup. One thing to remember is that a heat pack generally raises the temp only about 10-20 degrees F inside the box. So when it is very cold you need a couple or three in the box, since it may be left in a truck outside overnight. As for dry or wet on zoos, I would think wet would give you more insulation against the cold, but be worse if it actually got real cold, re-heating would be slower. Depending on type of zoo too, some are deepwater and never get exposed while others live in tidal zones for which it is no issue. In a thermos I'd have thought sure it would be fine! WOW! I'd say overnight and over-heatpack everything when it is this cold out.

birdfish
Old 01/23/2007, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

That was 2 day I think it was 43 hours. But I thought no problem with all the insulating I did and a large heat pack. Im just waiting until it warms up to do the rest of my shipping.
Old 01/23/2007, 01:07 AM
Moved On

I just got zoos from acrossed the nation shipped usps express mail (2-3 days) and they made it and opened up the next day. This was in temps of like 10-30 degrees.
Old 01/23/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

so has there been a consensus on which is more reliable wet or damp shipping?
Old 01/23/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

hey aquarius ....how were they packed?
Old 01/23/2007, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

I will be getting 7 fish and some corals shipped overnight from CA to Chicago.
I will find out tomorrow...
Old 01/23/2007, 11:12 PM
Premium Member

I recently purchased a large hammer, med frogspawn and sps combo rock from Dr Macs. I live in Fort Worth and we were having some major cold spells with ice and snow. I delayed shipment a few times to get them in a window where the temp was over 40 degs and requested additional heat packs. Happy to report that all arrived quickly and in good condition and have started to adapt to my tank well. My biggest fear was with the LPS especially the hammer since it was so large. I think if you have continued temps of freezing or below, you should probably avoid purchasing anything because you never know how long things will sit on a runway or in a holding center. I think the key is how well the vendor packs and a bit of luck on the delivery itself.
Old 01/24/2007, 07:30 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by fast57
hey aquarius ....how were they packed?
They had a large heat pack that was still warm when it got here, the zoas were in a bag with about 1/8 of the bags volume being water. The heat pack and bag with the frag was inside a home-made styrofoam insulating "box" and that was placed inside the shipping box. The temp inside the box seemed cool to me and so did the water in the bag. with a few modifications i might even reuse the styrofoam insulating. I would buy from the guy again and have him ship in extreme weather with no worries, for zoos, i have never had anything else shipped live except chaeto and, all the pods croaked.

HTH
Old 01/24/2007, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

no heres another question....On the people that posted so far or other people that have had success was the package shipped overnight or 2 day?...was it Fed ex, UPS, or USPS?
Old 01/25/2007, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

anyone....anyone....bueller?...ferris bueller...
Old 01/25/2007, 07:24 PM
Premium Member

Mine were shipped UPS and marked RUSH and Live Animals etc... I just had a bunch of stuff come in from inland aquatics today Fed X and arrived around 9 am... everything was good in there too.
Old 01/25/2007, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

was that overnighted..and where did it come from ...and how was it packed?
Old 01/27/2007, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

My overnight order from UPS
CA to IN

One dead fish..
Old 01/27/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

I've heard from vendors like liveaquaria, that the heat packs are used more to help slow temp. changes, not so much as to keep the water heated. The main function is to lessen the stress from drastic temp changes in a short time period. If they put too many heat packs in, the water can actually overheat. I would wait until temps go up a bit just to lessen the chances of a DOA.
Old 01/27/2007, 12:58 PM
Seahorse Wrangler

Most vendors insist on overnite, 2nd day is not an option, infact most ship overnite express. I've had great service from both UPS and FedEx.
Old 01/27/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

homebrewdude, How did everything else look when you first seen it? Is it ok now?
Old 01/27/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

I've had a lot of success shiping via USPS Priority for 2 day delivery locations. This has been in very cold weather. I use those disposable rubbermaid containers and then place one heatpack with each rubbermaid container and seal it in a one gallon ziplock bag. I then wrap all of the containers in some foam sheeting and stuff it into the box. Works great.
Old 01/27/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Everything is good. Still trying to get the trigger to eat.

My clowns are already hosting the anenome