Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/23/2006, 12:22 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Quote:
Originally posted by joetbs
Just a FYI on the source of this coral, it was the only piece the store had, and was growing out there.

You might want to consider contacting John(the owner) and give him a frag back, cos I know he paid alot more for it than that when he purchased it earlier this year and was/is devistated that someone sold it.
I kinda figured that was the story. I'd imagine whomever sold it is not on John's Christmas present list. Giving a frag back would be a very nice gesture.

Has anyone who has seen the RMW pieces also seen the other Duncan's floating around? They look a little different. I wonder if they're from ORA's or Serdar's or Joetbs' and are just unhealthy since they look whiter/yellower.

There is a really nice frag for $250 over on the Prop Forum from RandyO but I'm not sure if its still around. My two polyp frag I got from Joetbs is probably 15 polyps now. They LOVE Arcti Pods. They've started growing quicker since I switched to Arcti Pods from Cyclop Eeze.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 12/24/2006, 02:25 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vorteil
Are the Duncans that Roesmarine sells the same as the ones that Captive Reef & Jendub sells? I bought from them both & wanted another small frag of it for my 24gal JBJ nano at work. Thanks
I'm not sure where Mike and Jen got theirs from, but Roe's duncans look a lot different.

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgasm
in australia these corals are a dime a dozen and if they are being exported from australia thats highly legal and u may have already tip off the wornd people
Sounds like you meant to say illegal..? As mentioned earlier in the thread the new duncans from Australia are coming in legally with CITES.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fliger
Has anyone who has seen the RMW pieces also seen the other Duncan's floating around? They look a little different. I wonder if they're from ORA's or Serdar's or Joetbs' and are just unhealthy since they look whiter/yellower.
The ones from RMW are newly imported from Australia.
btw, Serdar's is the same as ORA's.
Old 01/14/2007, 10:46 PM
Premium Member

DonavonsReef, what kind of lighting and food do you use? I've never seen a Duncan that GREEN all over - it is really beautiful!
Old 01/14/2007, 10:49 PM
Waste Management

Thanks,I feed It a mysis shrimp & cyclopezz soup. It's in my 18gallon nano under 150w M/H 14k HQI & 2 24w T5 actinics .
Old 01/14/2007, 11:05 PM
Premium Member

That must be what it likes - because it is gorgeous!!!
Thanks for the quick reply!!!
Old 01/15/2007, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by InsaneClownFish

I counted last night and again this morning...11 polyps with buds forming...from a dime to a quarter+++ in size...

i jsut paid 165 a few weeks ago for 3 polyps and i though i got a good deal....
Old 01/15/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

also: insaneclownfish, YGPM
Old 01/21/2007, 03:13 AM
Registered Member

hey InsaneClownFish...i was at the store in CT last month where you got your Duncan and got the scoop on the story.

I was staring at some duncans in their display tank while chatting with one of the employess and he told me the following story.

Apparently the duncan was one of the favorites of the owner. He neglected to tell his son exactly what is was, and so his son unknowlingly sold it to you for peanuts.

When the boss came back and heard that it sold for only $50 he was out for blood and threatened to fire one of the employee until he learned it was his son. oops

His loss. Your gain.
Old 01/22/2007, 01:39 AM
Pragmatic Majic

Lol, great score! Lucky
Old 01/22/2007, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

As mentioned before, they're readily available in any LFS here in Oz and there are many different morphs. You can get short tentacles and incredibly long tentacles, different shades of green and yellow polyps, smooth or jagged oral disc rings, different shades of brown and green tissue on the stalk (or stem or whatever you call it) and can have dense heads or widely separated. I don't know the reason for the differences ie water depth, flow, light. The yellow ones seems less common as do the green ones with very long (2") tentacles. Here's mine, they're very different-

Green one with even oral disc circle

Close up of green one with dark stripes and uneven oral disk circle

This pic shows the difference in the oral disc circle of this and the previous one

Yellow one

Close up of yello one's tentacles
Old 01/22/2007, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

very common at the lfs here in aus, i see them all the time in all dif varieties
Old 01/22/2007, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

OMG $50 for it.....
Old 01/22/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

I just got a frag of Duncans. I'm very happy with mine, purple with some yellow tips. Hard to tell in my pics, still adjusting to new cam

Old 01/24/2007, 09:50 AM
Where the future begins!

Thought someone might be interested in this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LIVE-CORAL-5-DUN...QQcmdZViewItem