Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/17/2007, 07:11 PM
It's Domo-kun

Santa Monica Aquarium LFS: Good Review

I stopped in at Santa Monica Aquarium again yesterday. The store is on the northeast corner of Santa Monica Blvd and Federal in West LA. Since the summer, they really fixed things up. The display reefs are gorgeous, they have fish-only tanks, aggressive tanks, and a shark. I saw no dead or dying fish or inverts; maybe one wilting coral out of the many healthy ones in the store.

Importantly, the owner (Juyan, I think?) is very knowledgeable and honest with customers. I was in the store for almost an hour listening to him educate other customers there, and all the advice he gave was sound. He even told them which fish and inverts would not be compatible in their systems. A sign of quality in my book.

Prices on livestock are OK. I bought: emerald crabs $6/ea, large cleaner shrimp $18, peppermint shrimp $8, scarlet hermits $3/ea, sand-sifting star $12. Prices are cheaper in-store than online. Slightly higher prices than Reef Hot Spot, from my initial comparisons.

Overall I recommend it!
Old 01/17/2007, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the info! I'll have to make my way down there...

Gerry
Old 01/17/2007, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

oh no... another fish store beconing me...
Old 01/17/2007, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

thnx, bromion..
Old 01/18/2007, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

I can vouch for this store.. i have been in there a bunch of times... He really has gorgeous coral and loves to talk shop...
Old 01/20/2007, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

I went by here. I really like the store set-up. Lots of LPS, fish and rock. Knowledgable guy. I think his name is J R. He had some dry cyclopeze that he fed to the main display. I wanted to buy some to try out, but they were out. He just gave me some to try. I'll go back. Hardly any sps. I guess I had a similar experience to Bromion!
m
Old 01/20/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

his name is julius ceasar. no, i'm not kidding. he showed me his license and it is his real name. cool guy and they do carry quality stuff. he'll talk your ear off if you let him. he really enjoys his stuff. i wonder if he still has his porche carrera.