Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2007, 01:22 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

The ATI version has a little more output but looks wise they are pretty damned close.
Old 01/07/2007, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

I have a 48x30x18 105 gal tank. I want to add a new tek t5 lightings system 8 bulb 54 watts 48". I want to grow sps, clams, lps and zoas. Is this enough light and what bulbs do I buy? I want a white look maybe with a blue hint. I want my colors of my corals to pop. I also need to know what order I put my bulbs in. I am very new at this and don't understan the lighting very well, I've read alot but just can't get it. Thanks for your help.
Old 01/07/2007, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

I have a Tek Light 54wx8 and was wondering... What is better, lights slightly higher with no acrylic lens or lower with one? I noticed my acrylic is melting slightly... So I am concerned.
Old 01/07/2007, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Do this instead http://www.customaquatic.com/customa...=LT-CV-T5RK2-2

They have moisture resistant endcaps and parabolic reflectors.
The ebay one has german parabolic refelctors and I suppose mositure resistant endcaps. Should I still go with the customaquatics?

Anyways thanks for the link
Old 01/07/2007, 12:19 PM
Premium Member

I think if you look at the ebay unit "german parabolic reflectors" they are all hype and no go... You are better off with the reflectors designed specifically for the t5 app. (or close to it i.e. the custom aquatics one) In general, I'd stay away from the ebay units. I have never heard anyone say they got a great deal from the ebay light vendors.... IMHO

FWIW
Old 01/07/2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pepsicola
I have a 48x30x18 105 gal tank. I want to add a new tek t5 lightings system 8 bulb 54 watts 48". I want to grow sps, clams, lps and zoas. Is this enough light and what bulbs do I buy? I want a white look maybe with a blue hint. I want my colors of my corals to pop. I also need to know what order I put my bulbs in. I am very new at this and don't understan the lighting very well, I've read alot but just can't get it. Thanks for your help.
Front
Blue Plus or actinic plus
UVL Super Actinic
GE Daylight
ATI Aquablue
UVL Aquasun
GE Daylight
UVL Super Actinic
Blue Plus

That should look pretty white and pop colors.
Old 01/07/2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ccondo
I have a Tek Light 54wx8 and was wondering... What is better, lights slightly higher with no acrylic lens or lower with one? I noticed my acrylic is melting slightly... So I am concerned.
As long as your fixture is at least 4" above the tank an isn't in a canopy pull the acrylic.
Old 01/07/2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mtown
The ebay one has german parabolic refelctors and I suppose mositure resistant endcaps. Should I still go with the customaquatics?

Anyways thanks for the link
Those are just polished aluminum and not parabolic. The good reflctors not only have a more effective dsign, they are made from material that is specifically designed to have high reflectivity.
Old 01/07/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Grim,
Is there a way to protect the slr reflectors from salt dammage.
The salt spray damages them pretty quick.
could I use some kind of wax or polish to protect them.
Thanks,
Vic
Old 01/07/2007, 03:24 PM

I havent tried anything but I have heard of a couple people using car wax. The theory sounds good.
Old 01/07/2007, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

Thanks again Grim
Vic
Old 01/07/2007, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

The Grim Reefer,

Thanks for answering me earlier. I have another Question. What would 4 Midday, 2 Aquablue and 2 Pure Actinic's look like? Would this give a white with a blue hint and make my corals pop and grow? Geez......I wish I could understand this stuff. Thanks!!!!!
Old 01/07/2007, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

Hi Grim,
I have a 45 gallon LPS only reef lit by 2 X 96W PC lighting. Under the current lighting my corals are surviving OK but not growing.

I want to upgrade my lighting to a Aquatinics 5 X 39W t5 fixure. Will this be too much light?

Is this a good bulb combo? What color will this give? Is this enough blue for my corals to fluoresce?

GE daylight
aquablue
UVL super actinic
2 ATI blue +
Old 01/07/2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pepsicola
The Grim Reefer,

Thanks for answering me earlier. I have another Question. What would 4 Midday, 2 Aquablue and 2 Pure Actinic's look like? Would this give a white with a blue hint and make my corals pop and grow? Geez......I wish I could understand this stuff. Thanks!!!!!
4 Middays would overpower the other lamps and give you a yellowish look. 2 middays, 2 GE's 2 Blue Pluses and 2 Pure Actinics would probably be close to nutral.
Old 01/07/2007, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

Thank you The Grim Reefer,

I think I will go with what you told me the first time. Someone else was putting there 2 cents in and I'm not sure they really know there lights. Thank again I really appreciate your help.

Oh I do have one more question. On the first one you told me to go with which lights would be my dawn and dusk lights?

Thanks,
Linda
Old 01/07/2007, 06:10 PM

The blue plus and super actinics
Old 01/07/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Grim Reefer,

Thank you so much for all your information.

Linda
Old 01/07/2007, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

I have just recently Upgraded to a 90G AGA I was currently using PCx4 65w and 2x vho 48" 110 110w. The ballast and waterproof ends to the vho are done for so i am looking to upgrade to T5 setup. I am currently thinking of going with either the tek 8 bulb light fixture or possible the icecap retrofit kit for the 6 bulb setup. The tank is a mixed coral setup and will consist mostly of soft and lps with maybe 3-4 sps. I am trying to keep the cost around the 700$ range. Also the tank is in a wall unit with 49" to work with so the side vent will be close but the top has large vent holes cut in to allow venting. Basically it is a 49"w 30" deep and 36" tall over the tank with the top mostly open. Ok it is offical I am rambling now. Also would be interested in bulb recommendations. Main reason I was sterring away from Halides was heat concerns. Thanks for your time
Old 01/07/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Hey Grim

Is PFO HQI 250 Watt Metal Halide Mini Pendant (Double-Ended) as stand alone with 14K hamilton bulb (purchasing seperately) any good?

Here is a link where i plan on purchasing: http://www.reefperfection.com/index....S&Category=121

Thanks again
Old 01/07/2007, 09:17 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Last I checked, the PFO HQI 250watt Metal Halide Mini-Pendant wasnt a T5...

why are you asking a T5 guru in a T5 thread about 250wattDE setups?

FWIW, I have a few of those PFOs... good, perhaps the best HQI ballasts made, but the reflectors are 'outshined' by those made by SLS (the reef optix 3 even, and the much nicer lumenmax3), and PGS/Diamond (LumenarcDE). Still good none the less, esp if you are limited on space.

The hamilton is a different story... not my favorite for many reasons, but a decent bulb.
Old 01/07/2007, 09:46 PM
Membership Director/TBRC

All,

What is the difference bt these two:

Giesemann 54W Actinic Plus
ATI 54W Blue Plus

Reef Geek is out of the ATI. I wanted these 6 on a 90:

ATI Blue Plus
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus (or GE daylight)
ATI Aquablue (or GE daylight)
UVL Super Actinic
ATI Blue Plus
Old 01/07/2007, 09:53 PM

I would order a 6 lamp Tek system from reefgeek but upgrade to the Ice Cap reflctors. You don't need to OD the lamps over that tank unless you are doing all sps. for lamps I would try this

Blue or actinic plus
UVL Super Actinic
ATI Aquablue
UVL Aquasun
Aquablue
Blue or Actinic Plus

Or Plan B

4 lamp Tek/IC reflectors and use your VHO stuff for actinics.

VHO Actinic
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Aquasun
Aquablue
VHO Actinic

Quote:
Originally posted by Krogex
I have just recently Upgraded to a 90G AGA I was currently using PCx4 65w and 2x vho 48" 110 110w. The ballast and waterproof ends to the vho are done for so i am looking to upgrade to T5 setup. I am currently thinking of going with either the tek 8 bulb light fixture or possible the icecap retrofit kit for the 6 bulb setup. The tank is a mixed coral setup and will consist mostly of soft and lps with maybe 3-4 sps. I am trying to keep the cost around the 700$ range. Also the tank is in a wall unit with 49" to work with so the side vent will be close but the top has large vent holes cut in to allow venting. Basically it is a 49"w 30" deep and 36" tall over the tank with the top mostly open. Ok it is offical I am rambling now. Also would be interested in bulb recommendations. Main reason I was sterring away from Halides was heat concerns. Thanks for your time
Old 01/07/2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister

As soon as you get the spectrometer set up I am passing the T5 guru septor to you
Old 01/07/2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by plc001
All,

What is the difference bt these two:

Giesemann 54W Actinic Plus
ATI 54W Blue Plus

Reef Geek is out of the ATI. I wanted these 6 on a 90:

The ATI has a little stronger output but looks wise the two lamps are pretty close. Try this instead.

front
Actinic Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
Actinic Plus or aquablue for a less blue look
GE daylight
Actinic Plus

You want the actinic towards the front of the tank so it strikes the viewing side (front) of your corals.
Old 01/07/2007, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
Last I checked, the PFO HQI 250watt Metal Halide Mini-Pendant wasnt a T5...

FWIW, I have a few of those PFOs... good, perhaps the best HQI ballasts made, but the reflectors are 'outshined' by those made by SLS (the reef optix 3 even, and the much nicer lumenmax3), and PGS/Diamond (LumenarcDE). Still good none the less, esp if you are limited on space.

The hamilton is a different story... not my favorite for many reasons, but a decent bulb.
lol...its just that the guru seems to know a whole lot about T5s so might as well try and asking about MH. I guess grim is strictly a T5 expert.

Anysways thanks for the convincing reply hahnmeister .