Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/09/2006, 10:28 AM
22 And Livin It Up!

looks good, good to see your getting control of the algae!

Click on My Gallery for pics of my tank
Click the little red house for my tank diary!!!
Old 09/10/2006, 01:24 AM
Premium Member

Wow! Your tank looks so much better! I had the same problems in my tank that the hair algae was killing my frogspawn, other corals, and could be removed by the clump full. I got a handle on it...luckily after many months and many many hours....I have little to none...your tank is doing great!

Sarah
Old 12/18/2006, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

Small update:

It seems that the AZNO3 magic failed a month or so after I ran out. So going on a hunch I went with a Sugar dosing routine. Again the HA died and I weaned the tank off the sugar and it has not come back.

I did read all the articles about dosing carbon sources but I decided to give it a shot on the conservative side and it seems to be incredible.

I started with 1/8th of a tsp on day 1 and walked up to a full tsp a day.

Continued the full tsp a day until all signs of HA were gone and then continued for 1 week past.

Then I walked down 1/8th of a tsp until I was done.
Old 12/18/2006, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

NICE...I am glad your tank is looking better.

Mine too is really looking better and just a little bit of HA left. I owe most of it to my new sump/fuge where I stuck a new ASM G3. This think is working over time. I also have macro algea that I am pruning all the time. I can tell a difference in my tank every day I look at it. The GHA is practically melting away. For a couple of weeks I had a Sea Hare in there which ate most everything before dying. I was going to get another, but noticed that the HA was looking smaller and smaller everyday. I only have one fish which is a yellow tang and I feed it maybe once per week. The rest of the time this fish is chomping at the algea. I think 1 more month and it will be totally clean.
Old 12/19/2006, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

Update:

I started the battle over a year ago, I won.

I tried all the stuff above, rock scrubbing, the Paul B. algae screen... the sugar thing is a new one to me, this is what worked for me.

- Took out all the sand
- 25 gal fuge with chaeto
- phosban reactor(I feel that this made a huge difference)
- 5 gal Remote sand Bed (it has been running for a year)
-G3 skimmer
- increase alk to around 9.5

I do 5 gal water changes per week in my 100 g system

I have not had hair algae for about 9 months. And when I did have it, It was bad. It came to a point where I was changing/syphoning removing 5 gal of water and algae every day.
Now it is non existant. My tank is bare bottom, but corals and purple algae are covering the bottom, it is beginning to look pretty cool.

also, I dont have any but I know that Rainfordi Goby wil eat hair Algae.

Good Luck!