Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/11/2006, 08:19 PM
Premium Member

Golden Puffer Differences

While comparing different websites, there is a great variance in the cost of golden puffers (Arothron meleagris). Can someone explain why this is? Also, can someone recommend a site that they can trust to purchase one from? Goldend puffer owners if you don't mind where did you get yours, cost?
Thanks
Bill
Old 12/11/2006, 08:47 PM
840>420

I have a A. nigropunctatus which is a golden belly dogface. i paid 120 for mine that is about 6.5" long. here is a pic of him.

Old 12/11/2006, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

This is a fish worth buying in person or getting pics of the actual fish ahead of time. If price is more of a concern than the looks of the fish I'd recommend a different puffer.

Here are a couple shots of mine

closeup:

Old 12/12/2006, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Sorry I dont have a pic, but mine is 11-12" Arothron meleagris, not nigropunctatus. Personally I like the meleagris far better. I paid $225 for mine from a local fish store. Ive seen them go for as much as $600!!!! Now I would never pay that much for a fish, ever! I think that the cost difference has something to do with where they get their fish from or what part of the country they are in. Also, simply put. it seems like quite a few internet places feel like they can jack up the prices on all fish!!! Just yesterday I was searching around and saw a Clownfish on a site for $250!!!! Now I dont care if it had a gold encrusted fin, I wouldnt pay $250 for a clownfish. No matter what!

I would reccommend talking to a LFS owner who purchases wholesale form distributors, and see if they can hand pick one for you. If not shop around on the internet and call around. Check places like Liveaquaria, MarineDepot Live, MarineCenter, JustRareFish...etc
Old 12/12/2006, 06:03 PM
Premium Member

I would only buy this fish from a LFS so you can inspect it before purchasing it make sure it's what you are looking for, no signs of disease, clear eyes , it is eating , etc..

heres a couple pictures of mine I paid around $250.00

Old 12/12/2006, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

FYI in my shopping for a true golden (not a nigro yellow belly, not a bananna turd meleagris, etc) I was told by Liveaquaria and others that they can in no circumstance "hand pick" or warrant the looks of the fish whatsoever. Just a FYI....
Old 12/12/2006, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

I recommend that you get pictures of the golden before you purchase. I recently picked up a beautiful 6" golden from Liveaquaria.com from their divers den, which provides a picture of the actual specimen. Right now, Liveaquaria.com has one on their divers den that looks horrible. As far as LFS having one in stock good luck. Not too many stores bring in $300+ fish without having a buyer already lined-up. Most goldens are in the 8"+ size range. As far as pricing goes I would expect to pay around $300 or so. You are located in CA, so the Hawaiian specimens (I find to be the brightest and least amount of spots) may be a bit cheaper due to travel costs. Good luck with finding a nice one.
Old 12/13/2006, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

What part of Ca are you in? Aquatic Pets in Fresno has one in stock right now. I think its $300. Also Jack at Aquatic Aggression, also in Fresno can pick up one for you in LA. He WILL hand pick a perfect specimen for you. If you have any more questions PM me.
Old 12/13/2006, 02:56 AM
Premium Member

I appreciate all the feedback. Please keep the info coming I am going to talk to my LFS tomorrow and see what kind of price range they can find me one for. My LFS is in Upland. 30 miles south of LA. My thinking about purchasing online is the fact that I didn't imagine to many LFS's keeping this fish in stock, and my best best was online. Of course my number one concern is the points that have been brought up, with not being able to see the fish prior is very concerning. I saw one online at Atlantis Aquarium and emailed them but yet to get a response.

Thanks for posting the pic's I really like LRS's. I happened to like the black spots along the side. Real cool!
Bill
Old 12/13/2006, 02:58 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rdumont55
I recommend that you get pictures of the golden before you purchase. I recently picked up a beautiful 6" golden from Liveaquaria.com from their divers den, which provides a picture of the actual specimen. Right now, Liveaquaria.com has one on their divers den that looks horrible. As far as LFS having one in stock good luck. Not too many stores bring in $300+ fish without having a buyer already lined-up. Most goldens are in the 8"+ size range. As far as pricing goes I would expect to pay around $300 or so. You are located in CA, so the Hawaiian specimens (I find to be the brightest and least amount of spots) may be a bit cheaper due to travel costs. Good luck with finding a nice one.

I checked out the one in Diver's den, I agree with you, that is either a bad picture or an ugly fish

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...3256&siteid=20
Old 12/13/2006, 06:17 AM
Registered Member

Personally I see nothing wrong with the golden at divers den? The colors just a little faded, other than that he looks normal. Why do u guys think that puffer is ugly?
Old 12/13/2006, 03:04 PM
Premium Member

Yep, definatly colour faded. Including real pale on his lower half. It could be just a bad picture. Compared to the pics already posted here no comparison.
Old 12/13/2006, 03:45 PM
840>420

yeah that thing is very pale looking, but its nothing a good diet wont fix.
Old 12/13/2006, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

Im just saying the fishes body looks great, color intensity isnt always super important. Mine looks like that 25% of the time, the other 75% he is super bright gold. I think it may have something to do with temperment or how the fish is feeling at any given time. I bet the golden puffer on divers den will look great in a bigtank once hes well fed, I would HARDLY call him ugly.
Old 12/13/2006, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

Ask yourself this question. Would you pay $349 plus $40 shipping for a golden puffer that looks like the divers den one? Or would you want to find one that looks like LRS078's golden. I thought so. Since the golden is the third phase of Arothron meleagris, there are huge variations in coloration and black and white spots. When you pay good money for a fish, you want the best looking speciman you can get. It is my opinion that there are no guarantees that a different/better diet would change a puffers coloration from beige to bright yellow. In summary, treat your quest for a golden puffer like you were looking for an adult imperator angel. If you want an adult with straight yellow lines down its body, then don't settle for one that is still in its teenage coloration.
Old 12/14/2006, 04:26 AM
Registered Member

Well I already have a bright yellow golden so no i wouldnt buy that one, but I was just defending the poor fish! Anyways....I wouldnt EVER buy a fish from the internet anyways! I never have and never will. I like to see the actual fish in front of me, and the web doesnt cut it.
Old 12/14/2006, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

dude, get an all black one those are so much cooler looking.
Old 12/14/2006, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

I like the all black puffers to, but I have an Black Hawaiin Trigger so I looking for a different colour.
Old 12/14/2006, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

Try to find either a panda (Red Sea) or dalmation (Solomon Islands) puffer. They are inexpensive and cool looking also.
Old 12/15/2006, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

get what you want...care for it well...and enjoy the critter!
Old 12/16/2006, 01:21 AM
Premium Member

Took another look at Diver's Den today and they have a second golden puffer on there now. Both same size, but have different prices. If you look at the pictures it looks like the same fish as well just taken a different angles.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...3256&siteid=20

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...3484&siteid=20
Old 12/16/2006, 03:01 AM
Premium Member

golden puffers are not from Hawaii. they come in from Christmas Island

Only the christmas island ones are very bright gold. Some will be all yellow (no spots) and some will be a pale yellow with many spots... it all depends on the fish
Old 12/16/2006, 08:32 AM
Premium Member

I think it is the same fish too look at the black spots they match
Old 12/16/2006, 11:56 PM
Premium Member

found this one thought it looked good. never ordered from this site so you might want to check if you do

http://www.atlantisaquarium.net/images/GoldenPuffer.JPG

http://www.atlantisaquarium.net/fish.html
Old 12/17/2006, 02:31 AM
Premium Member

Yea, I saw that one to, and sent them an email inquiry, but they did not respond to me yet. I don't think they actually have that fish. If you look at the home page it says only highlighted fish are in stock. They did not have much highlighted including the puffer.