Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/25/2006, 02:10 AM
Registered Member

180 FOWLR- Convince me to do or convince me to dont

Ok so my 180g African Cichlid tank has been running for 2 years and so has my 50g reef. I find marine much more appealing and rewarding and have been struggling with myself lately whether or not i should switch the 180 into a FOWLR. Now i'm going to be brutally honest, i would not be going all out on this one. I would be using the same filtration i have now (1 fluval 404, 1 Eheim 2217, 1 Fluval FX5) plus a good skimmer and possibly add a sump a few months down the road. I would probably try and get some macro growth going in the main tank as I dont mind the look and the added benefits. I have aragonite in there right now and would make sure to clean it VERY well and then add a few more bags. I also have texas holey rock (limestone) that cost much much $$$ so i would clean that well too and use it as a base or to make some nice structures, then add some nice branching LR. I wouldn't go nuts stocking it. Do you think it would be an easy transition or a major headache?
Old 11/25/2006, 03:05 AM
Registered Member

lunker ,ive recently done just this, sold all the africans and converted the 4x2x2 to a FOWLR ,i too have a 2217 which now runs rowaphos i added 2 eheim compacts(1000l/h) and a venturi protein skimmer the main filtration is 55kg (120lbs) of live rock,i have aragonite for the substrate i could have used the old crushed shell but liked the white sand,stock is 1xpicasso trigger 1xclown trigger 1x bursa trigger and a lipstick tang they all get on well but that is about fully stocked now .
what would i do differently- id go for better circulation pumps probably tunze,seio or aquabee,the eheims are ok but dont give the fish a lot of exercise,the other thing is dont try and save a buck on a skimmer you guys are spoilt for choice but get a good one and you wont regret it-good luck and looking forward to seeing some pics of it up and running-what fish are you going for?
Old 11/25/2006, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

I'd go reef, only because you don't want to spend much$$. Less in the skimmer and filtration part, do need good flow though. I vote corals and just basic clean-up fish and crew. Good luck
Old 11/25/2006, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rockhead21564
I'd go reef, only because you don't want to spend much$$. Less in the skimmer and filtration part, do need good flow though. I vote corals and just basic clean-up fish and crew. Good luck
doesn't a reef tank cost a lot more money then a FO or FOWLR? Not just to setup but also maintain with all the chemicals/additives/etc?

My 260g is FO because I do not want to spend lots of money on LR. For +10 years I ran it with a big wet/dry & w/o a skimmer which could easily be done on the 180g Rescently I added a ER RC500 & it definantly pulls out a lot of junk however they fish still act the same & I still change 2 trashcans of h20 a month

If it was me setting up the 180g I would determine what fish you want in the tank. From there determine if FO or FOWLR is the way & depending on that a big wet/dry might be all you need or doing a fuge could be the way. Then when money is willing buy a big skimmer! I am not familar with the pumps that you are using however if you do convert to saltwater, I would sell it & do it right the 1st time with a sump etc. It will make your life a LOT easier!!
Old 11/25/2006, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

As someone who has both ciclids and a Fowlr tank. Get a saltwater tank. They are just so much cooler. Sell your current pumps one flea bay those fx5 are going for 250+. Then buy all your stuff on here. You can set it up for half what you would retail. Just be sure to get good water.
Old 11/26/2006, 09:35 AM
~~~Big O~~~

I ve never cared for any freshwater fish other than show bettas... go salt. With 180 you have room to choose a nice peaceful colorful community tank or the personality and size of aggressive fish. I'd like to go 180 or 240g w/ a nice school of anthias or golden/pakistani butterflies ---

The price of a decent stand and tank are the only thing keeping me back right now ...and the floor collapsing
Old 11/26/2006, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

I just made the switch and it was worth every penny. Just start to pick up stuff for the salt tank slowly when you see good deals, do alot of research you will not regret it!!
Old 11/26/2006, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

I think i may start switching it over. I am correct in assuming that the Holey Rock (limestone) is safe, correct? Selling off my Africans should cover the cost of stocking the tank, so all i really need is the skimmer and some type of mixing system for water changes.
Old 11/26/2006, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Go FOWLR, I was reef and have been able to downsize alot of expensive equipment on my 200 gallon. Reef is more expensive to run and maintain, and is a lot more work.

Bill
Old 11/26/2006, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

a properly set up reef is actually less work than a fowlr from the few i've seen personally
Old 11/27/2006, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

Agreed clekchau. My reef is practically self maintained at this point. This is not fully an issue of maintaince but money, i dont want to spend $1,000 for lighting and plumb a huge sump to it right now. The canisters are messy and in my experience will never hit 0 nitrates, i dont want to sell them all off and start a huge project for a sump and refugium at this point. I am more than happy with my 50g reef, the 180g will be for monsters .
Old 11/27/2006, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

i think the transition wouldn't be too bad but i would suggest a sump (you could use a cheap used 55 gallon aquarium) with a refugium and remote deep sand bed along with live rock for filteration as opposed to a wet dry for biological filteration. i'm not sure how porous holey rock is and if you can use it in a saltwater tank though. also, an efficient skimmer is a must. the skimmer along with the live rock and remote deep sand bed will keep the maintenance down and the tank parameters suprisingly stable.