Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/09/2006, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

pink Nudibranch

i saw these pink Nudibranch's with yellow tips at my LFS they look super neat, but i cant find any info on them, are they reef safe? do hey pose any threat to anything in a reef aquarium?
Old 11/09/2006, 02:51 AM
Registered Member

Nudis are all specialized feeders (meaning they usually only eat 1 thing like zoa eating nudis only eat zoa's).
Some eat algae but the majority I'd say eat corals or other things and are hard to keep long term in an aquarium.
They also get sucked into powerheads and such easily.
If it were me I would'nt get one even though I know they look cool lol.

kass
Old 11/09/2006, 05:31 AM
Moved On

these do better and eat algae. like kass said though, watch the intakes. use sponge guards

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=4
Old 11/09/2006, 09:08 AM
Soul of a Sailor

Quote:
Some eat algae but the majority I'd say eat corals or other things and are hard to keep long term in an aquarium.
There are no nudibranchs that eat algae. All nudibranchs are strictly carnivorous.

Judging from the description, the slug at the store is probably a dorid nudibranch of some kind, almost all of which eat a specific species of sponge. Chances of being able to feed it are slim to none.
Old 11/09/2006, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

I don't know....I just checked the link, and sure enough, saltwaterfish.com says: "The Lettuce Nudibranch, a.k.a The Lettuce Leaf Nudibranch, is bright green in color with ruffles across its back. It is excellent at destroying algae by foraging on live rock and aquarium glass. It is non-venomous and a hardy species." The scientific name is; Tridachia crispata. What do you think greenbean?
Old 11/09/2006, 10:49 AM
Detritus Eater

Elysia (Tridachia) crispata is no Nudibranch. It's a Cephalaspid (I hope I spelled that right!) "Sea Slug." They feed on various algaes. The are also photosynthetic, they use the chloroplasts of the algae they ate for photosynthesis

"It all starts with a small freshwater aquarium. Then it turns into miniature estuaries on the carpet, and an afterwards fragrance that has the power to kill anything that's ever lived"
Old 11/09/2006, 10:50 AM
Member of SEA-T

Quote:
Originally posted by naterealbig
I don't know....I just checked the link, and sure enough, saltwaterfish.com says: "The Lettuce Nudibranch, a.k.a The Lettuce Leaf Nudibranch, is bright green in color with ruffles across its back. It is excellent at destroying algae by foraging on live rock and aquarium glass. It is non-venomous and a hardy species." The scientific name is; Tridachia crispata. What do you think greenbean?
they are not actually nudibranches. heres a link.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...004/invert.htm
Old 11/09/2006, 12:56 PM
Premium Member

I am stand thoroughly informed. I don't know much about these types of animals - just checking out the thread and thought it looked neat.
Old 11/09/2006, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

this is the exact same guy

i picked one up today, i think his chances are better living in my tank then at the LFS
Old 11/09/2006, 01:09 PM
Soul of a Sailor

That's Hypselodoris bullocki or H. apolegma. They're sponge feeders. There is pretty much no chance of it surviving in captivity.

Quote:
It's a Cephalaspid
Well, you got the right idea, but wrong order. They're sacoglossans.
Old 11/09/2006, 01:33 PM
Detritus Eater

Darn It! Yeah, I remember, the Cephalaspidea are Headshield Slugs.

"It all starts with a small freshwater aquarium. Then it turns into miniature estuaries on the carpet, and an afterwards fragrance that has the power to kill anything that's ever lived"
Old 11/09/2006, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

well i guess i'll have to wait and see, the LFS store said they eat leftover food, time will tell
Old 11/09/2006, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

There is zero chance that nudi will eat leftover food. And you have no chance of taking better care of it then the pet store. It was setenced to death as soon as it was collected off of the reef. It will probably take a few short months to starve to death. And since the pet store just sold one, they'll be eager to get another one in for profit. It's better to just leave these things in the petstore and prevent them from being killed in captivity. Sorry to be pessimistic but it was a REALLY missinformed purchase.
FB
Old 11/09/2006, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Sorry greenbean I know your always right with this stuff.
I always thought they were all called nudis and did'nt know there was a difference.

I did know they were specialized feeders though and don't live long in captivity lol.

Yeah I tried some of those many moons ago when I started to and like they say they are doomed and better off left at the LFS.

I really wish some of that stuff would be banned at collecting when it's known to not make it in captivity.
I guess that could cause a real stir though also.
The best thing we can do is not buy them so they quit collecting them.

kass
Old 11/09/2006, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

i wish LFS were honest, but in that case they wouldnt order anything like these guys, all though i have read of some luck, probably rare.
is there some rule of how many SW fish can be taken per year? just seeing all the blue tangs at my LFS made me wounder what restrictions there are on fish
Old 11/09/2006, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

greenbean does the nudi i have release a toxin when it dies?
Old 11/09/2006, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

Can you return it to the LFS and advise them not to order anymore. Most LFS are simply ignorant and not dishonest. Most of them probably get their information from the distributor or from random things that they've heard from knowledge-lacking customers. I'm sure some of them will flat out lie to make a sale, but I think most of them simply have no knowledge. Either way, I'd try to take it back while it's still in semi-good health.

Finally, one piece of advice, you're going to get better advice on here 99% of the time than you will at the LFS
Old 11/09/2006, 06:42 PM
Soul of a Sailor

Quote:
greenbean does the nudi i have release a toxin when it dies?
Well, it does have some mild toxin in its skin, but no this is not one of the species that will nuke a tank.

Quote:
Sorry greenbean I know your always right with this stuff.
I've yet to mean anyone who's always right. I'm certainly no exception. I'm wrong a good bit.