Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/31/2006, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

Is something wrong with my Fu Manchu Lionfish?

Hi all,
I have had a Fu Manchu for about 2 weeks and hes not big on eating (I heard they were difficult feeders!)
I asked a friend of mine who works at varius LFS and he said to try a black mollie to get him to start eating.
I went down to the LFS I bought him from and they showed me a few different Lions eating this same fish.
I bought one and fed it to the Lion (I have also heard that a diet of freshwater fish isnt good as a permanent food source but this is the first time Ive tried it and I dont intend to have it as his main food source)
Anyways, the fish lasted all of 2 seconds before the lion ate it whole. I thought this was a good sign that he was eating.
Today, however I found the whole mollie floating at the surface (dead of course) that had been regurgitated.
The lionfish usually clings to the underside of the same rock once the lights go on until they have gone off.
Today he has not hidden. He is sitting out in the open clinging to the top of a rock and appears to be breathing heavily, like panting.
His gills seem to be more open that usual, this happened when he ate the mollie and I figured it was opening up to fit the fish in and digest it but they havent returned to normal (maybe this is normal I just never noticed it before)
If I put the feeding stick near him he does move away from it but hes still not acting right.
What could be the problem if any at all??

The ammonia & nitrite are both at 0 and his tank mates are Snowflake Eel (very small one), Niger Trigger & Valentini Puffer. As far as I have seen everyone leaves each other alone and I have not seen any nipped fins on any of the fish or harassment by anyone either so I really dont know what the problem is if any?

Heres a pic of him, its kind of hard to explain about his gills (kind of expanded out like an accordian I guess.. bad description. Dont think you can see much from the pics he has moved to the back and hard to photograph, As soon as I can get a better one from behind him I will post it:

Old 10/31/2006, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Try some ghost shrimp, feed the shrimp something nutritional before feeding them to your lion.

Take at look at the lion info sheet for more info on your lion, they can be tough to wean.....

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

Kaye
Old 10/31/2006, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

the molly might have been to big for him because when i have fed my volitan his feeders, the big one's tails are sticking out of his mouth so i suspect a molly is pretty big for a Fu Man Chu lion. right now i am trying to wean my volitan off feeders so just be patient and he probably just had a hard time regurgitating the molly as well so that is why he is panting heavily. good luck

Lionfishfinatic
Old 10/31/2006, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Should I give him a few days and perhaps try a smaller one? Or should I try a smaller one today?

What about something different like a tetra or guppy?

Im not sure where to get ghost shrimp I havent seen them at either of my LFS that I visit frequently and neither seem to sell specific feeder fish either. Hard to get live foods besides brine shrimp where I am.

Thanks heaps guys.
Old 10/31/2006, 11:54 PM
840>420

Guppies wouldnt be a bad idea. Ghost shrimp would be the best I would say... Ask your LFS if they can get them from the wholesaler they go to. Most stores have feeder food, at least for their own fish, and sometimes keep them out of view... But ask for them from someone who visits the wholesalers.
Old 10/31/2006, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

I might ask the one that isnt a "chain store" type store. They may be able to help.
Old 11/01/2006, 08:45 AM
Lion addict

I would try a type of shrimp if at all possible, Fu Manchu's feed primarily on invertebrates, so feeding it shrimp would be better than fish. Have you tried fresh/frozen raw shrimp from your local grocery store? Some can have a pretty good smell to Fu Manchu's. I got extremely lucky with mine and got him on the raw shrimp immediatly and never had to use feeders of any sort (ghost shrimp included). The lion is probably stressed about the regurgitation of the molly, I wouldn't feed him another...they are probably pretty good size for a Fu Manchu. I have a Volitan Lion (5-6") that can eat HUGE pieces of shrimp, but the Fu Manchu (3-4") will take MUCH smaller pieces. Also make sure there is plenty of oxygen in the water...that could be another reason is breathing hard. Anyway hope this helps and good luck!
Old 11/02/2006, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

you mentioned nitrite levels but not your nitrates be sure sure these are not high also also check ph and salinity levels as these all play a major role in your fishes behavior..do try soaking some mysis shrimp in garlic extremem and selcon then pour it slowly in front of a powerhead to simulate life see if you lion goes after it then..this is how i started my baby lions feeding prepared foods.. as for feeding black mollies these should be acclimated to full sw and fed a nutrient enriched marine fish diet..before feeding them as live feeders
Old 11/02/2006, 10:44 PM
Spine Straightener

You may also want to try frozen krill. Remember your fish is a nocturnal predator so try feeding close to lights out. My dwarf fuzzy does well on it (20 -25 seconds in the microwave to thaw and mix with tank water) and he loves the occasional (1-2 times per month) feeder guppy. I agree that the black mollie was probably too large but the fact that he inhaled it tells me that he'll eat. Also, ghost shrimp would be good too. Good luck!
Old 11/03/2006, 06:02 AM
Registered Member

I have found that when weening fu manchus and fuzzy dwarfs it is best to have them in a small dimly lit QT like say 15-20 gallons. this will give them time to adjust and get used to eating prepped foods without voracious tankmates in the way. that snowflake eel may prove to be a pest to your lion during the weening process. in a smaller tank it is also easier to monitor how much food it has eaten and what it may regurgitate later. the biggest thing with fu manchus is just to be patient. ghost shrimp are the best for weening. soaking them in garlic prior to feeding will make them more appealing. if you cant find ghost shrimp use guppies. they work just as well and are smaller than the mollies. are you using a feeding stick?
Old 11/03/2006, 06:10 AM
Registered Member

Hi there,
I tried some Krill tonight, he wasnt interested. Just let me wiggle it around in his face with no interest.
I am using a stick for that kind of food. With the mix of brine and mysis I feed the others I target feed the lion but he never goes for it.
I am going to try a guppy tomorrow just to have him eat something!
Will try the garlic too.
Thanks for everyones help!
Old 11/04/2006, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

Today he has like a slime stuff floating around him which is coming off him (kind of like a mandarin gets if stressed or harassed)
Does this have something to do with him being hungry or something else?
He is still panting, we put an airstone in a day or so ago in case oxygen was the problem even though none of the other fish were having any problems breathing.
Any ideas whats wrong or what to do?
Old 11/04/2006, 06:12 AM
Registered Member

Sounds like your lion is shedding.....

Kaye
Old 11/04/2006, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

What does that mean for him? Will he die?
Thanks again!
Old 11/04/2006, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

The lion info sheet will explain more than I could to you, click on the link, towards the bottom you will see Diseases and Health Problems

This is probably one of the best references you can have if you keep lions.

The Lion Info Sheet - http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

Kaye
Old 11/04/2006, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

I found some info before and saw that stress could be an issue. He was fine before he tried the mollie so I am assuming it stressed him out and thats why hes shedding.
I bought some garlic stuff to soak his food in and so once he is done shedding I will try that on his food to get him eating again. (I read he wont eat when shedding)
Old 11/05/2006, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

shedding is normal