Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > New Jersey Reefer's Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/15/2006, 09:05 PM
Premium Member

This really sucks

I can't believe this happened. Friday night, as we were sleeping, my washer hose broke. We didn't hear it at all through the night. In the morning we found all the rooms in the bottom floor flooded. I quickly turned off the water and called the insurence company. They told me I could get a contractor to help with cleanup. What contractor does this kind of work? Then I remembered that Eric from Toms River had a problem during that big rain storm. I remember someone who was in the insurence field told him to call All-Risk. So I looked up the post and found the info. All-Risk came out and measured all the moisture in the floors and walls and said that almost all of the sheet rock and all of the flooring on the first floor needs to go. For the next couple of weeks my house is going to look like a crack house on the inside. The worst part is my tank is down there and now I have to move it. I really am dreading this one. I contiplated getting rid of it, but my wife said not to get rid of it because then we wouldn't have anything to fight about. Guess I have to keep it. Hopefully the insurence claim will go through without a hitch, but you know how that works. I guess I would be more receptive to the disaster if I still lived at my old house where I needed the whole place fixed. This house is brand new and all the floors were nice. Oh, well. Wish me luck.

Roy
Old 10/15/2006, 09:44 PM
New Jersey Reefers Club

That really does suck!!!
Good Luck.
Keep the tank.

Join the New Revolution: Howard 100 & 101

Hey, detritus happens.
Old 10/15/2006, 09:47 PM
Team RC Member

And the wife. That's a good attitude.

I've been through it, not with a tank leak, but with an upstairs bathroom that tried to become an elevator...

At times it becomes darkly funny, like when the airconditioning cut on with all the plastic drape everywhere and it looked as if the room, lighted inside, was a space alien; or when we had 10, count them, 10, repair trucks in the drive at once, arguing about who needed to back out first.

You can get through it. If there's anything you've ever wanted to change about the place, now's the time!

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 10/15/2006, 10:24 PM
New Jersey Reefers Club

Sorry to hear about this... That really sucks. Don't get rid of the tank, you'll regret it in the long run!

Keep your chin up, it will be done before you know it!

Is this a hobby or an obsession!?
Old 10/15/2006, 11:21 PM
Premium Member

royy,
sorry to hear, times like this do suck, if you need anything LMK I'm 10 min from you. I hope everything works out for the best.

Be careful with allrisk get everything in writing before they do any work.
Old 10/16/2006, 02:04 AM
Registered Member

That stinks! I hope the repair work goesquickly for you.
Old 10/17/2006, 01:13 AM
SPS Captial of PA

It does suck, but...

IT COULD HAVE BEEN MUCH WORSE!!!

You could have died as a result of electrocution from a power outlet and the wet floor. Your child could have drowned or maybe the house could have burned down.

Look on the bright side, your all ok, the tank made it through the flood like it was NOAHS ark, and in the long run that floor will look much better than it does now and probably better than it did before. There is always something you have wanted to change right? Like maybe that washer hose that broke? Just kidding. But seriously, isn't there something you can do to make it better? I will answer YES for you. Sorry sometimes I go on, but anyway, you can now have carpet the color you want, walls the way you want, you can even have the contractor build in the tank into a wall now that everything needs done over!! You might even be able to go (now listen carefully)

BIGGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes bigger, build that tank into the wall, or sell it off, and build a bigger one into the wall, you can even do it up that there is a back room for all the equipment.

Well just a thought and I hope this cheers you up.

By the way, "SOMEONE" must have been looking down on you!

thanks,

Rick

Rick

Absorbing information through OSMOSIS.

President of NCPARS
Old 10/17/2006, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

Rick, The thing is the house is only 1 year old so there wasn't anything that needed to be changed. If it was my old house, which was 40 years old, I would have been celebrating.

Eric, can you please explain what you mean about All-Risk. I don't want to get burned by any one. I thought they hash the price out with the Ins. company.

Roy
Old 10/17/2006, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

Royy PM sent

and it's Tom not Eric...LOL you keep calling me Eric for some reason
Old 10/18/2006, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

when i lived in my townhouse the association came around and made sure everyone had braided steel lines on their washers! even with braided steel you should always turn the water off after using your washer, people don't realize how much pressure is coming into those lines especially if its city supplied
Old 10/19/2006, 05:32 AM
Premium Member

Sorry Tom. I thought you were Eric from Toms River. Guess I confused your sign in name with his. Thanks for the info. I wish I knew that before, they already came around with an crew for an estimate. I will be sure to contact the insurance company to be sure they are doing this correctly.

Stan, my line is steel braided, but I had a y splitter on there for my RO/DI that had a rubber part on it. That is what went.

Roy
Old 10/19/2006, 07:33 AM
Premium Member

No Problem royy Just make sure everything is in writing, they tell you how much and verify it is approved with the insurance before they start any other work. Good luck with the repairs and I hope is goes quickly and as painlessly as possible.
Old 10/19/2006, 07:54 AM
Registered Member

before you submit your repair estimate check to see if they are going to depreciate then subtract the deductible or if your deductible is your only expense.

I got screwed when the tree fell on my house the contractor estimated for a repair on what was really a replacement job and then the insurance company hit me with a 50% depreciation on a 25 year roof that was about 5 years old. Plus the 500 deductible.
Old 10/19/2006, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

I saw this on Ask This Old House a few months back and I thought about buying it back them. I think I may really get it now.

http://www.watts.com/pro/divisions/w...ntelliflow.asp
Old 10/19/2006, 05:16 PM
New Jersey Reefers Club

That thing is pretty awesome!

Is this a hobby or an obsession!?
Old 10/19/2006, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

I worked at lowes years ago and that would happen at least 4 to 5 times a year to different people.It happen to one faimly while they were gone for a week all the mess and a $300 dollar water bill.
Best of luck!!