Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/12/2006, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

New store in South OC, Fantasea!

Thought I would share this for those of you in South OC, since we are lacking local stores since the closing of PetTown.
Fantasea Aquariums opened a storefront a few weeks ago. I think they used to just do service, but now do retail also. I've stopped in a couple times now. Store is small, but selection and prices are decent, and the staff has been friendly. Worth checking out if for no other reason than it is in an area with not many other lfs around.
Old 10/12/2006, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Address would probably help...

27324 Camino Capistrano
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677
Old 10/12/2006, 03:23 PM
It's all about ME!

Here is the # 949-348-1788
Old 10/12/2006, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

...and suddenly I have something to do today after work

Will take a peak and report back
Old 10/12/2006, 05:01 PM
Sannin

sounds like reef and massage in one stop
Old 10/12/2006, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

haha, that name is soo cool
Old 10/12/2006, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

About time someone opened one up down here, will check it out tomorrow.
Old 10/13/2006, 01:59 AM
Registered Member

I took a trip over after work and before dinner, and have a few comments.

1) The staff seemed very nice, and was courteous enough not to hover over our shoulder, but attentive enough to be sure we had no unanswered questions.

2) The prices seemed very reasonable, with one tank having frags (mostly zoas) starting at $2.99.

3) They had a remarkable number of 'show' sized pieces, with leathers in the 14-18" range (and, if I recall correctly, in the $60-80 range).

4) The store was small, but not cramped. Selection reflected size. Dry goods were present but not abundant - I've been waiting to buy either Hikari freeze-dried brine shrimp or reef roids (haven't had a chance to order them online), but found neither. Fish selection was limited to a dozen or so tanks, but they had a pretty decent variety (naso blond tang, couple triggers, some look-downs @ $89 if I recall correctly, etc).

5) It's on Camino Capistrano, which is a pain in the *** to get to. You have to take Avery, then follow it under Crown Valley. If you live in the area, you've done this before; if you don't, check a map before you go.

Overall, I still think I'll be headed up to Irvine and Fountain Valley to do most of my shopping, but it's certainly worth stopping in every few weeks to glance at the selection.
Old 10/13/2006, 02:00 AM
Registered Member

Ah - and, they have some modest sized SPS colonies and a dozen and a half clams - not really my thing, but I'm sure someone would be interested.
Old 10/15/2006, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

Anyone else make it over there? Thoughts?
Old 10/16/2006, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

Dropped by Friday, I really didn't have a chance to do a thorough walk through as hubby was on the clock, and I'm embarrassed to say I pretty much stalled in front of a tank with seahorses.

The store (btw jjirsa78, thanks for the directions... it IS a pain to find) loses points for putting wild caught seahorses in with its captive bred, but the staff was very helpful in dropping some frozen mysis in so I could watch some very large, fine looking, wild-caught reidis eat.

I will also still head up to Irvine and Fountain Valley for most of my shopping, but I'll have to go back to look at the rest of the store...

Plus, I'm considering quarantining one of those reidi bad boys.

Shay