Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/16/2006, 05:16 AM
Premium Member

If you need printing on the brouchure, let me know.

- Mac
Old 06/16/2006, 10:39 AM
Shh... We're fishing.

Sweet.

I was thinking when we get all our letters compiled... what if we send a postcard or picture of a coral reef... ?

Ex: The SPCA sends me stickers, and address labels and stuff. Before I even give them money, so it makes me want to give them money a bit more, and I can't forget because I already have something tangible...
Old 06/16/2006, 01:34 PM
Shh... We're fishing.

dwizum, what about this too?
A big glossy poster of a coral reef and a wishing well for people to throw their spare change into. As in, do you want this around here? Help contribute to the vision.
I don't know if this is gonna get us big bucks or anything, but if we take it to enough events... 4th of July, harborfest, carousel mall, etc....
What'cha think?
Old 06/16/2006, 02:00 PM
m0delgator

Wouldn't hurt at all. I think at this point if we show the MOST that we are interested in pitching in they will be more willing to contribute from their end.
Old 06/16/2006, 03:03 PM
Shh... We're fishing.

1. Does the MOST have a booth at the New York State Fair??
They have that science building...

2. Also, !!! What do you think about approaching Time Warner, and asking them to sponsor us in part or whole... with the benefit that they could have a direct Hi-Fi camera feed to the tank.

Great TV screen saver, or even PBS... for their off the air hours!
Who doesn't love fish on tv, especially Hi-Fi!?!
Old 06/16/2006, 09:22 PM
Bang

Quote:
Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht
they will be more willing to contribute from their end.
hehe

Also, does anyone think it's worth it to look into getting a deal on ~600lbs base rock?
Old 06/17/2006, 05:36 PM
Shh... We're fishing.

I do, that is if we could get large pieces... ? The typical "showpiece" size rock would be kinda small...
Oh wait, we're using zipties.

Not only would it speed up the process, but maybe there are vendors that would donate some?
Old 06/19/2006, 01:03 PM
Shh... We're fishing.

Anyone know of a vendor that sells fundraising stuff, banners, wishing well, etc?

Supposed to be going to the MOST this week, to take pictures of the tank and get you all excited. Then maybe meet with the guy next week.
Old 06/22/2006, 02:49 PM
Shh... We're fishing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephany
Anyone know of a vendor that sells fundraising stuff, banners, wishing well, etc?
Going to the MOST today to take pictures of the tank.
Old 09/07/2006, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

Hey guys,

I found this thread and wanted to see if there has been any progress. I dont know if there is much I can do from down here but would like to keep in touch. All is well down here in Texas. Just getting use to the heat again. Lots of reefs down this way.

Mike
Old 09/13/2006, 07:27 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Steph got me excited and then disappeared.
I think the RC Lounge kidnapped her!
Old 09/13/2006, 09:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Majchrzak
Steph got me excited and then disappeared.
I think the RC Lounge kidnapped her!

yeah, that place is a black hole
Old 09/14/2006, 01:20 AM
Shh... We're fishing.

lol, what it boils down to is I have a somewhat vague and partial equipment list.
I have yet to divide it down into which vendors to ask for the equipment from first... and to not repeat requests for equipment, to avoid... somebody donating the same thing.

I didn't get all the information from Nate, before work swallowed him hole and mike left.
I still really want this to happen, and Court is still showing interest in helping as well.. but I feel like until I meet with someone face to face... to make sure I know what I'm doing with the equipment division, and who to send the letters to... I feel like I'm wading around in a lot of unknowns because of my lack of experience.

I have concern of sending a letter I wrote myself without approval or even a second opinion from someone else.... that's not worded ideally, or whatever... and get a 'no' response from a company...
Wish I had someone with a bit more familiarity in asking for donations.
Old 09/14/2006, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

I have done fundraising for differnt organizations... The best way to go about asking for something is to give the reasons for asking. Expalin why you want their spefic product. Offer something to the person doanating be it a spot on an plaque, or some other type of advertisement. It helps too to be personal with whom ever your asking. If you would like me to go over the letters with you you can e-mail them to me at rwojick1@yahoo.com and I'll take a look at them, and offer some advice.

Generally certain companies are better known for their generousity and those are the companys you need to ask first. I was not in this hobby for the start of the Seneca Park Zoo aquarium, but if you get thier list of donators there is a good chance that they will also donated what is needed to you.
Rob
Old 09/14/2006, 05:32 PM
Bang

Steph,

I e-mailed Fritz to see if he has any time to help us out. If you want to meet up sometime to try and get this back on its feet let me know.
Old 09/14/2006, 07:56 PM
Shh... We're fishing.

ooohh really... ? Rob, I really appreciate it.

Mike, if you have anything from what was already decided let me know. I know you must have had a difficult move down there.. thank you for bumping the thread. It has been on the back burner for far too long.
Court, Busy this weekend? We can try and get a couple of draft letters for Rob to look over.
We really need the more updated & complete list of the equipment. This is all I have now:

1) closed loops (one on each of the on the tank's sides, one on back with two outputs):

3 x Sequence 6000seq23 pumps (or 5800seq23's, if we can't find the 6000's - I'm not sure they make those any more)
6 x 1.5" PVC ball valves
6 x 1.5" PVC unions
15 x 1.5" 90 deg PVC elbows
15 x 1.5" 45 deg PVC elbows
30' x 1.5" PVC pipe

2) sump drain (assuming bulkheads and dursos are included):

2 x 2" PVC ball valves
8 x 2" 45 deg PVC elbows
16' x 2" PVC pipe

3) sump return (assuming we are going with two external pumps, we might as well stick with the sequence 1000 series - they'll all be interchangeable in emergency situations):

2 x Sequence 3200seq20 pumps
2 x 1.5" bulkheads (on the sump)
4 X 1.5" PVC ball valves
4 x 1.5" PVC unions
20' x 1.5" PVC pipe
2 x 1.5" PVC tees
4 x 1.5" to 3/4" reducers
8 x 3/4" 90 deg PVC elbows
8 x 3/4" 45 deg PVC elbows
10' x 3/4" PVC pipe
Old 09/15/2006, 08:53 AM
Bang

Steph, I'm gonna be away all weekend but next week im free every day after 4 or so except on Tuesday. I talked to Frtiz and he is pretty busy but he's willing to meet as well. He also said that the MOST isn't even going to start construction on the tank area until the end of the year so we aren't too far off track as it turns out. He also wondered if you had tried to contact Nate lately.
Old 10/02/2006, 01:11 PM
Shh... We're fishing.

I've tried to contact Nate a few times, haven't heard anything back.

Mornings are best for me, as I work 11am to 7pm. If you want to email me your schedule we'll see what we can do. We can post possible dates on here and see if we can also generate some more attendance.
Old 10/02/2006, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

Hey guys,

Glad to see the wheels are still turning.

Steph, Nate is really your go to guy for the list of equipment, I will try to give him a call and as the fund raising goes, Fritz, Nate and I had put together a plan that probably would have already funded the tank if the MOST would have proceded with it. Just dont let the MOST forget about you guys, they are slow and the main reason the tank isnt full of fish and coral right now.

Dont get discouraged, remember there is a 750g tank with a stand waiting in the basement.

Oh yea, and Court is your work horse he helped alot with the stand and knows the plan well.

Mike
Old 10/02/2006, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Steph,

You could send your letter to Tony Ortega at the MOST for a little help with the letter. You might not get a timely response but he is the one who has been working on the funding off and on with no success thus far.

Mike