Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/13/2006, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Jbj Nano Stands

I just bought a stand for my nano cube. Now have heard that its a good idea to reinforce the stand. What exactly do i need to install on the stand to do so.
Old 09/13/2006, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

which stand is it? the spiraly one? or just the plain one with the 2 chrome or whatever rods going up on the front? if its the second one, that one looks pretty sturdy, but the spiral one doesnt look very strong.
Old 09/13/2006, 11:22 AM
A.K.A. colinadam

I have the cabinet stand. Very sturdy, doesn't need any improvements imo.

When i started out I thought the S Stand looked flimsy to but people swear that it's also very stable.
Old 09/13/2006, 07:57 PM
Losing my mind

I've had both. The cabinet stand is sturdy but in my experience the metal poles rust and get all nasty. The top piece that the tank actually sits on somehow got water damage and warped so that I couldn't get the door open. Replaced that stand with S stand because I didn't like the cabinet stand. Well, the S stand isn't much better. Quite wobbly on a level surface...I'm afraid to put much effort into cleaning my glass because the stand starts to move. No storage underneath either. My suggestion would be to build your own stand, but if you're set on a NC stand then get the cabinet, at least you don't have to worry about it falling over.
Old 09/14/2006, 01:36 AM
Premium Member

I have the 12 gallong aquapod brand new in the box. I was debating on buying the stand, or building a really nice one myself.

Well I decided to build my own. Should be all stained and finished by the weekend
Old 09/14/2006, 02:05 AM
Registered Member

I actually ordered a cabinet stand, and it should be coming via ups tomorrow. Its kinda sad to hear that the jbj stands aren't of the greatest quality..with the rusting polls and warping. I wish someone would have spoken up about this in the forums...oh well what can one do. As far as building a stand goes, i think the idea is great, but doesn't work for me. Right now Im a working college student, busy as heck all the time. Anyways, i will be doing a "formal" review of the JBJ cabinet stand and post it on RC...so all can benifit from it...watch for it! :-)
Old 09/16/2006, 01:36 AM
Registered Member

Okay i got my cabinet stand, and just finished setting it up today. There are overall a few issues that i felt needed to be addressed as far as the build quality goes. Personally, i felt that the hardware sent with the stand was of weak quality. Weak to the point where it would strip out when tightening. The material seems to be some weak pot-metal/ alloy. The stand itself wasn't solid enough to my standards, so i reinforced it. Using some steel L-brackets did the trick (four on the top and four on the bottom). I was kinda bummed to see that the stand's construction wasn't of plywood...its appears to be that shredded press wood. The problem i see with this is that if it gets wet it looses its shape, either warping or even breaking apart. I also took it upon myself to replace the stock door knob with a nicer one. The stock knob is SO tiny and lame, it looks more like a nail sticking out of the door than an actual knob. After all is said and done, i feel that as a kit the JBJ cabinet stand isn't where should be on quality...Cosmetically i really enjoy the look of the stand, which provides me a place to hide all the electrical cords. I would recommend this stand to anyone who: A) doesn't have the time to cut and assemble their own stand design. B) understands that some extra hardware might be required to make more stable.
Old 09/16/2006, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by triciod
Okay i got my cabinet stand, and just finished setting it up today. There are overall a few issues that i felt needed to be addressed as far as the build quality goes. Personally, i felt that the hardware sent with the stand was of weak quality. ... After all is said and done, i feel that as a kit the JBJ cabinet stand isn't where should be on quality...
I totally agee with you on all your points. I originally bought the cabinet stand for my 24G (2006) Nano DX. It was so flimsy, with teeth on the lock nuts either snapping off when tightened and several of the holes for the lock nuts drilled too far away from the edge for the posts to grab on to. I am also not a big fan of particle board or MDF. There is NO WAY I would trust placing a 250+ pound Nano (with SW and LR) on one of these stands.

I brought the stand right back to my LFS for a full refund. They admitted that they also had some problems with these stands.

I emailed JBJ to express my dissapointment. They were kind enough to email me back to say that were currently reviewing manufacturing issues with these units. That was four months ago.

IMHO, JBJ should put sturdier (more expensive) materials in these stands, even if they have to charge $130 for the stand.
Old 09/17/2006, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

no need for any changes.
Old 09/19/2006, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

Is there anyone out there that purchased or has seen first hand the NanoCube S-stand? What are your reactions to the build quality?