Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/09/2006, 06:50 AM
Registered Member

Mods, please post warning in lounge

It seems that lately people have been wandering into the lounge and gotten offended or disgusted. Perhaps RC should post a warning on the lounge label in the general interest forums that in addition to the lounge being somewhere that RCers can go to talk about things other that reefs, members should not enter without a sense of humor, a healthy sense of self or at least an interest in hearing opinions that might not jibe with their own. Just my two cents. I've been enjoying this forum for a few months now and I would hate to see it become some kind of club where only a few people can enjoy it.

OK, I'm done preaching.

"If anyone offers you pigeon milk, say no thanks." - Fat Man.
Old 09/09/2006, 08:52 AM
On "The List"

WARNING:
OSHA and WORKERS COMP do NOT consider hurt feelings to be valid claims.
Exercise that sense of humor 'cause you don't want it to get Cloesd from lack of use.

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 09/09/2006, 08:55 AM
Moved On

It is a club only a few can enjoy. You make one post with different views or you get the shark attack and are screamed at to be banned. It's disgusting. I see a lot of folks dedicated to religion yet the most intolerant and scathing are those same people.
Old 09/09/2006, 09:08 AM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by wav3form
It is a club only a few can enjoy. You make one post with different views or you get the shark attack and are screamed at to be banned. It's disgusting. I see a lot of folks dedicated to religion yet the most intolerant and scathing are those same people.

You're just one cheery kind of guy aren't you? Who is making you be here? I have yet to understand people who complain but yet hang around.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 09/09/2006, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigSkyBart
WARNING:
OSHA and WORKERS COMP do NOT consider hurt feelings to be valid claims.
Exercise that sense of humor 'cause you don't want it to get Cloesd from lack of use.

Touche(apologies to Les Francais, I don't know where the accent or cedilla are on my computer), BigSky! I'm just preaching tolerance, that's all.

wav3form, someone I have become friends with was banned in that thread so I feel your pain, however, to paraphrase BrianD's signature, let's strive for an optimum environment. You guys were warned to knock it off. Whether or not you agree with the content, method or discretion of the mods, for this thing to work, we must respect them. The remedy is to file complaints with the Board of Directors, not to take on the moderators.

Anyway, I'm not feeling much fun today so I'm logging out. Thanks for listening.

Old 09/09/2006, 09:09 AM
Moved In

Re: Mods, please post warning in lounge

Quote:
Originally posted by batguano
It seems that lately people have been wandering into the lounge and gotten offended or disgusted. Perhaps RC should post a warning on the lounge label in the general interest forums that in addition to the lounge being somewhere that RCers can go to talk about things other that reefs, members should not enter without a sense of humor, a healthy sense of self or at least an interest in hearing opinions that might not jibe with their own. Just my two cents. I've been enjoying this forum for a few months now and I would hate to see it become some kind of club where only a few people can enjoy it.

OK, I'm done preaching.
"Warning, we're sick, warped, and generally off our rockers. Enter at your own risk."

Old 09/09/2006, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Debi, that's exactly what I'm talking about!

Old 09/09/2006, 09:11 AM
Medieval French Monkey

J'imagine qu'on peut te pardonner pour les fautes d'accents--ce n'est pas grave.
Old 09/09/2006, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gawain1974
J'imagine qu'on peut te pardonner pour les fautes d'accents--ce n'est pas grave.
Merci beaucoupe, mon ami. Je suis americain, alors je ne peut pas parler des autre langues.

Hey, wait a minute, the sense of humor is returning. Yes, yes, that's much better!

Au revoir mes amis!

Old 09/09/2006, 09:17 AM
On "The List"

Re: Re: Mods, please post warning in lounge

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
"Warning, we're sick, warped, and generally off our rockers. Enter at your own risk."
Yea Deb, thats the point I was trying for!

yup, you all are sick, warped & generally off your rockers, I'm the only normal one and you're in trouble now, because I'm gone for the next few months

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 09/09/2006, 09:19 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
You're just one cheery kind of guy aren't you? Who is making you be here? I have yet to understand people who complain but yet hang around.
I have opinions like anyone else here. If people don't like them, that's no reason to scream for bans or to get harassed. I'm also not complaining, just making an observation.
Old 09/09/2006, 09:32 AM
Moved In

LOL, well it's a bad obsevation. If you'll look at the sign up dates you'll see we didn't all join at the same time, and lock the key for outsiders. There's a fine line on the rules, mods make a judgement call on a lot of things. Some people that come in and make 'questionable' posts get scolded, it's how they react after that on how they are treated. Also coming in and making certain remarks when you don't even know people is risky. A lot of us are indeed friends 'clickish' if you want. We know if we're kidding most of the time, and if not we'll work it out between us. I've not been a mod here very long, but I have modded on other boards. Basic common sense rules. And rules are there for a reason.

Batty, we could all put it in our sig lines.

Old 09/09/2006, 09:40 AM
Moved On

Well how long do you need to be a member until you can break the rules and get away with it? Is there something in particular I have to support or put in my sig or do I have to get on a scrip of Prozac and pretend to be cheery? Please advise.
Old 09/09/2006, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

Re: Re: Mods, please post warning in lounge

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
i need a lawyer. that's plagerism (or however you spell that word). i have that sign hanging on my kitchen door for all to see before they step across the threshhold. now debi, give it back!
Old 09/09/2006, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Well how long do you need to be a member until you can break the rules and get away with it? Is there something in particular I have to support or put in my sig or do I have to get on a scrip of Prozac and pretend to be cheery? Please advise.
yer on thin ice.
Old 09/09/2006, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

I've been a member for a while and just started posting in the lounge not long ago. I have a good sense of humor and have never had a problem with anyone. This isn't a serious place. We come here to talk and tease each other. I've begun to pm some of the woman (everyone knows they are much better than the men!) and have learned alot about different people and personalities just by reading the posts in the lounge first. If you want to hang in the lounge, you need to lighten up and try to make friends instead of trying to start controversies. There are other boards for that.

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 09/09/2006, 09:49 AM
Moved In

Well if you feel someone is breaking the rules report them. Believe it or not the mods don't read every post and some things do slide by. Maybe one mod doesn't take it so serious as the next. Nobody is supposed to break the rules, not even mods. The lounge is definately a little more laxed than the main boards.
Honestly, nothing is a matter of how long, it's your attitude, that will make the call. Insulting the rules, and the mods probably isn't a good start. You will get noticed, not in a good way either. This is a private board, not a democracy, there is no freedom of speech here. Once you start getting reported by other members, you're on the radar. We're really not so bad here, and neither are the rules. I'm not sure why people find them so hard to follow.

Old 09/09/2006, 09:50 AM
Moved In

Re: Re: Re: Mods, please post warning in lounge

Quote:
Originally posted by Nina51
i need a lawyer. that's plagerism (or however you spell that word). i have that sign hanging on my kitchen door for all to see before they step across the threshhold. now debi, give it back!

You too huh?

Old 09/09/2006, 09:52 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Nina51
yer on thin ice.
Exactly what I was talking about.
Old 09/09/2006, 09:53 AM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by crp
I've been a member for a while and just started posting in the lounge not long ago. I have a good sense of humor and have never had a problem with anyone. This isn't a serious place. We come here to talk and tease each other. I've begun to pm some of the woman (everyone knows they are much better than the men!) and have learned alot about different people and personalities just by reading the posts in the lounge first. If you want to hang in the lounge, you need to lighten up and try to make friends instead of trying to start controversies. There are other boards for that.
so there's not really a secret handshake in here?

Old 09/09/2006, 09:57 AM
Moved In

Quote:
Exactly what I was talking about.

Just loosen up, we're not that bad!

Old 09/09/2006, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
so there's not really a secret handshake in here?
Nope, not that I know of, unless someone visiting me in my sleep!

In fact I lurked for quite a while before I started posting. I then said hi and was greeted pretty warmly. I even posted a couple of serious threads I need some help on and everyone was helpful in their responses and some even pm'd me for a more personal experience.

But I also don't post to try to start a controversy or argument for no reason.

The only one I'm not sure about is that upside down guy. Something's not right there!

Old 09/09/2006, 10:00 AM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by crp
Nope, not that I know of, unless someone visiting me in my sleep!

In fact I lurked for quite a while before I started posting. I then said hi and was greeted pretty warmly. I even posted a couple of serious threads I need some help on and everyone was helpful in their responses and some even pm'd me for a more personal experience.

But I also don't post to try to start a controversy or argument for no reason.

The only one I'm not sure about is that upside down guy. Something's not right there!
LOL, he should have a disclaimer don't you think?

Old 09/09/2006, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
LOL, he should have a disclaimer don't you think?
He's a simple man (aren't they all) doesn't take long to figure out?

Old 09/09/2006, 10:07 AM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by crp
He's a simple man (aren't they all) doesn't take long to figure out?
Yes indeed.

Ok, here's one for sigs.

RC Lounge~Questionable Humor~Enter at Own Risk